Sierra and Audio 8

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by tinynit2, Sep 21, 2016.

1. tinynit2

tinynit2 New Member

Anyone tries using Sierra and the Audio 8? If so any issues?

2. djkiter

djkiter Forum Member

3. justcharlie

justcharlie NI Product Owner

I know they are discontinuing support but does anyone know if it works?

4. hypnorex

hypnorex New Member

Please check this thread also, many reports of Audio 8 running flawlessly on latest Sierra betas:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...dio-is-fixed-100-percent-confirmation.308513/

I have reported the very same:

"I have been testing Audio 8 and Kontrol S4 MK1 (each on 48KHz) extensively with 10.12 Golden Dev, they've been working like a charm for hours and hours. So even if NI officially drops support for these models, it seems as if they will still be working fine.

There are three aspects everybody should bear in mind when using Sierra: all energy saving options must be deactivated, AppNap has to be disabled globally and FileVault needs to be deactivated."

As it seems, dropped support does not mean terminated functionality.

5. Masterbit_Tf

Masterbit_Tf NI Product Owner

Aye.. Thats what i always would keep in mind.
    Not supported means not automatically that it wont work any longer or immediatly explode on connection. :D

If you are unsure.. Just do a full image backup, try/test it and restore if doesnt works.

6. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

The reason these legacy pieces of hardware are no longer being supported is because Apple are deprecating support for the type of drivers (kernel drivers) they use. The same is happening for the Rane SL1 (apparently) and other manufacturers hardware.

The Audio 8 is a great sound card but it is nearly a decade old and support has to end sometime - unfortunately this is being forced by Apple somewhat.

Karlos

7. EIZOOO

EIZOOO Forum Member

I will give the Audio 8 / Sierra a try.
    There are some comments that it is working fine.
    With El Capitan it is also not working for live performances so nothig to lose! If there is no chance to get it running and stable i will finally stop to work with traktor outside. Just for fun and timecode vinyl at the studio but not for Gigs.......Hello Rekordbox ;-)

8. Abebe

Abebe NI Product Owner

Traktor audio 2 MK 1 is declared as non-compatible hardware device under macOS Sierra but is running without any problems i will report back if stops. :)

9. hypnorex

hypnorex New Member

This is what Karlos (Admin) has posted in another thread:

Please note that support being dropped does not necessarily mean functionality being terminated.
    We have received quite a few reports from users of the affected products suggesting that these devices still work flawlessly - provided that the following aspects have been taken into account:

• the device has to be operated with 48Khz Sample Rate

• the macOS security preference „FileVault“ needs to be deactivated

• the macOS energy saving option „AppNap“ must be globally disabled

• all other energy saving options must be disabled as well

Please check these threads in our Traktor User Forum in order to find several reports on this matter:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...dio-is-fixed-100-percent-confirmation.308513/
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/sierra-andaudio-8.309381/

IMPORTANT NOTE: regardless of the current situation, any upcoming update of macOS Sierra may change the situation and put the functionality of the devices to an end.
    Therefore, in case you decide to update to Sierra please backup your system periodically in order to be able to roll back to a working version.

Karlos

10. Abebe

Abebe NI Product Owner

This is crazy are they going to improve macOS Sierra to kill the working devices?

11. hypnorex

hypnorex New Member

Well, the whole improvement began when Apple released 10.9 with a damaged CoreAudio driver. Further improvements in 10.10 worsened the issue. With 10.11, further improvements rendered CoreAudio and thereby El Capitan unusable for thousands of users of various USB audio devices / controllers.

12. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

lets hope NI don't have kids...

Turn 6 years old, become a pain in the backside and stop supporting them :0)

13. jimmyjamesh

jimmyjamesh NI Product Owner

just had a 3 hour mix using audio 8 sound card with s8 as mixer and cdi timecode with zero problems