Simple Phaser in Primary

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Moonbot7000, May 17, 2019.

1. Moonbot7000

Moonbot7000 New Member

Hi - I'm trying to understand how phasers work and sound as their parameters are changed and modulated in different ways. Core has some phaser macros but core is outside my level of understanding. Could someone point me to (I haven't been able to find any) examples of a very simple phaser that I can use to play with to learn more about? Or, instruct me or take a screensnap of how to put one together?

Also, is my understanding accurate: A phaser is essentially a slight time delay as a function of frequency. For example, If I set an allpass filter to 1k, it creates a "notch" at the 1k mark because it slightly delays the freqency at the set point. Sliding the notch, (or using an LFO) makes the "tearing" noise up and down the spectrum as it slightly delays the frequency at the different...frequencies.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help!

2. drb

drb NI Product Owner

Moonbot7000,

The Legacy Library is a good place to look for simpler primary only things. On a Mac the is a file at the top of the Factory Library named "Legacy Library.zip". I guess it is in a similar place on Windows. In particular look at Legacy Library/Legacy Library Reaktor 3/Essentials/Instruments/FX - Chorus, Flanger, Phaser. There might be other things of interest in the Lagacy Libraries as well.

HTH,

drb

• Like Like x 1
  3. colB

colB NI Product Owner

much better off using core for this sort of thing...
    Here's a primary example anyway...
    primary phaser example.PNG
    EDIT:
    There's nothing particularly difficult about core - it's slightly different from Primary, and allows more control when you get to that stage, but there are so many excellent library modules, that it can be used similarly to Primary - nothing to fear.
    Kinda.
    If you think of the input audio as a bunch of superimposed sine waves at different frequencies... an allpass filter shifts the phase of those individual sine partials more or less depending on their frequency. When you chain a load of them together, mix the result with the raw input, and also feed some back to the input, you get interesting constructive and destructive interference of the various sine frequency partials...
    If you modulate the centre frequency of the all-pass filters with an LFO, you can animate those interference peaks and notches.... resulting in cool swirly phaser sounds.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1