Simple sampler block

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by willieraylewis, Aug 15, 2017.

1. willieraylewis

willieraylewis New Member

I'm not a builder and I appreciate ALL the massively creative and useful blocks in the lib -- that said, I would paypal someone for a simple one shot drag and drop stereo sampler block with an envelope (a filter would be icing), nothing looping, no crazy granular stuff. Just a pitch and gate input and a stereo output. (any mods would also be icing).

If there's a block like this in the library I'm missing someone please tell me :) I know there's a bunch of ensembles in the user lib that do this, but it would be nice to have something in a clean block form. Closest i found was "one for infinity," which is an awesome (and clean) stereo sampler, but no envelope/filter there. Same with the SAM series.

thanks!

2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

Why does it have to be a block? Any monophonic instrument would fit in fine in a block environment.
    If one made a block sampler, one would need to use the table framework in Core. There are any number of easy-to-use Primary samplers that are trivial to wire the way you want. I don't know how to make a Core sampler, but I could make a Primary version in my sleep.

3. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs New Member

I can send you a snapshot with Tape Nouveau in one shot mode for free. You would need to add the envelope externally, but that is it. I could easily include that in the ensemble too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. willieraylewis

@arachnaut --Thanks arachnaut- I will try that. I'm actually needing a stereo sampler. I've done it on an ensemble level by re-saving the ensembles as instruments and then using the midi out block to play and cv stuff with them. @MatthewFriedrichs - that would be great - I really like the 'one for infinity' sampler block, I'm sure it will work the same way as 'tape nouveau'. Thanks for the replies.

5. MatthewFriedrichs

MatthewFriedrichs New Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2zabN6f0l5Ub1FIT1hlQm9pRVE
    Here is a simple .ens. The Macro knobs at the right control the Attack and Release on both Envelopes with knobs one and two. Macro knobs 3 and 4 control the cutoff and resonance on both filters. You can reassign them on the block using the A/B mod buses.

The ADSR and LFO on the left can modulate the sampler as well as the macro knobs using the A/B bus. If you want to modulate cutoff, you will need to modulate macro knob 3. It is as simple as that.

You can change what the macro knobs control using the A/B bus.

Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  6. willieraylewis

7. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Agree that it doesn't have to be a Block, but It's a good idea to use the table framework for this, is allows drag and drop of a sample directly to the ensembles GUI, and easy saving of the sample with the snapshot. This might enhance the simplicity of a simple sampler block.

• Like Like x 2
  8. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I built a super basic sample player ages ago to test the Table Framework, so I looked it out and added a few bells and whistles.
    simpler sampler.PNG
    I just uploaded it to the User Library, you can grab it here.

Its pretty basic (that is the point), but should be easy to use. Drag n drop, auto saving of samples with snapshots etc.
    Need to add a few things, tuning, more filter options (break out the HP & BP), maybe start offset knob for samples...
    But I want to keep it nice and simple - that's the point.
    The other thing I'll likely do is update the GUI to use Block style modulation knobs. This is not a block - it's polyphonic, but there's no reason not to make it interface well with the blocks system.

enjoy!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, first thanks! 2. the samples are missing - all 12. 3. You build it on ens level. To put it in blocks system it's easier to save in ins level. Or 1000 people ask why it can't work with their patch. Thanks for your attention.

10. arachnaut

I agree, but GUI drag and drop of samples into the sample map has been around for quite some time. It's not as easy, as your method,but it is still GUI drag and drop. (But probably not in Reaktor Player, I don't know how that works).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

In R5 also?

12. arachnaut

And, probably, R4 and R3 and... But I was not around back then so I don't know.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Thanks Paule. You're right about the instrument level business, I should have noticed that :). Although it's not Blocks compatible as it's a polyphonic player. Samples are missing because the snapshots save references to them - otherwise, the file sizes could get silly depending on the application. I didn't upload the samples as well because they are just a bunch of freebie ones for testing, and anyway the point of this is that it's super easy to just drag a sample in and play.

Yes, the dreaded sample map :D. I never did like that, and as I'm not a big user of samples, I've never got around to working it out - too much like hard work. The point of this is it's dead simple. It's somewhat limited as a result - no layering or multisampling, but it's very quick and easy to set things up.

probably could do with start offset, and some sort of simple looping mechanism, but not if it complicates things.
    ----------------------

One problem here that I've not solved yet is that whenever I make an edit, the currently selected sample is deleted. This is something to do with edit re-initialization causing the delete button to fire an event. I've tried to filter it, but as yet no luck.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, do you know FLOWs by Tim Exile. There is an extra folder with subs. All snapshot will find their samples - great.

15. arachnaut

It depends on your world view.

Whenever someone says Core is simple and Primary is hard work, I feel like posting something about multi-core Reaktor. But I won't go there.

Not wanting to get into an argument here, unless we are performing a Monty Python skit, and then you can count me in - but don't expect me to play fair.

• Like Like x 1
  16. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I don't mean that the table framework is simple. I mean that the end result in this case is simple to use - just a drop box, and click select, and it's done. No extra dialogues to deal with. The sample map is super complex because it is a 'one size fits all'. As a result it crams as many features in as possible in the hope that everyone can do what they like. But that makes much more work for end users.
    If it goes in the right direction development wise, the table framework can be the opposite. As complicated or as simple as required, depending on the needs of the instrument. You could build a layering multi-sample interface with it as well, and everything in-between. Whatever the builder decides, the user only has to deal with that, not a bunch of other controls and options that are irrelevant to the instrument in question.

Initialization is a royal pain though. Just spent some valuable time squishing an init related bug, and now the Primary level code is twice as messy as before :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. Big Gnome

Big Gnome Forum Member

Pretty sure multicore'd fix that. ;)

18. arachnaut

Or maybe truly integrating Core and Primary so we all can speak the same language.

19. arachnaut

I honestly thought the sample map is pretty easy to use and it picks mostly useful defaults.

What I don't like is the format is proprietary and sometimes you can't put a sample map into Kontakt.

If the map format were tossed and replaced with SFZ or some world standard that allowed text editing and lots of features, I'd be pretty happy because I made an SFZ formatter for UltraEdit to help me make them.

20. willieraylewis

Just wanted to chime in here- as a composer/producer I've used Reaktor since I first discovered something called "Dynamo," way back when because the sounds were the cleanest and highest quality sounds I had ever heard in a plug-in. And even though I could barely use 1 instance of an ensemble like Sinebeats (the old Sinebeats which I still use to this day) on my POWERBOOK G3 (omg) back then, I still managed to make it work as a part of my production(s). Because it just sounded GOOD! I really appreciate you guys - the builders and programmers- without whom I would not have access to the plethora of unique sounds and options I have today. Today with a quad-core i7 the possibilities are endless ---- I make music and sound design and sometimes I'm on a deadline and I just don't have the time to build something I might hear in my head. I admit I have no idea how to do anything in core or primary - I am just a user. As far as this request for a sampler block, thanks ColB and Matthew for your work and your quick response to my problem - it is so appreciated and I am finally building my dream drag and drop stereo sample drum sequencer I had been wanting. This has been all about workflow for me as a composer, the ability to just go to the browser, find a sample or loop in my library that works and drag it in, patch it through whatever, loop it, crush it, modulate it, filter it, etc., and create something that no one has heard. So thanks to you guys and especially arachnaut who has answered so many questions (from others and myself) and solved many problems I have had in the past, often by just checking in here on the forum. One last thing-- sample maps... ugh - it takes too long.... drag and drop-- yes. I think I'm just spoiled by the blocks...