Simple sampler block

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by willieraylewis, Aug 15, 2017.

1. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

If you have a single sample that you want to send into stuff, I would use the sample player built into Reaktor on the menu bar.
    If you have 128 samples with velocity layers - use a sample map.
    Somewhere in between use a table list.

The first two approaches are easy to use because the player 'just works' and the Primary samplers that use the sample map are relatively simple to hook up. I don't see a problem dragging even a single sample from the GUI browser panel into the whole sample map. I have favorite folders set up with lots of sample locations preset so I can easily drag in many kinds of sounds.

The Table List does no sound - so you need to build the sampler. Look at Colin's simple example to get an idea of how much building may be required to use it. I know Colin just made a simple example and a more polished instrument might be easy to use as well. I don't know of any way one could attach a Table List to an existing Primary sampler.

But try to grab some of the sample player stuff from FORM and try to use that. I'm sure it is very well-designed, but it doesn't survive long as a learning tool, even for experienced builders.

Blocks are fun and easy to use, but they are not polyphonic. Just about everything else in Primary is and always was.

In Reaktor, instrument outputs are multi-channel or stereo, but only one voice. Blocks are instruments in Reaktor. So outputs are 'multi' but the driving inputs are 'mono'.

2. colB

colB NI Product Owner

new version up. with looping

• Like Like x 1
  3. arachnaut

I was going to test this with loop points and relative sample paths, but I'm still using 6.1.

[EDIT] U/L says it was made with Reaktor 6, looks like that needs to show the full version number.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  4. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Ah, sorry about that, I just updated when 6.2 was released.

5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, what do I wrong?
    Here is a sample with a loop: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9lpatth9yjd2t/Test Area
    It's a bit too large for the forum. If I use your SimSam 1.3 drop this sample set the switch to loop it start playing from begin to end and ignore the loop settings and start again from the beginning.
    it don't loop.jpg
    I had the hope it start from beginning and loop inside start and end point of loop setting.

6. colB

colB NI Product Owner

That's weird, because it works for me. It starts from the beginning, then when it gets to the second loop point, it loops back to the first loop point.

Do you know of a source for samples that were not done in wavosaur, or other free audio editors that can set loop points - I used wavosaur to get the basics working and create the demo samples.

7. colB

colB NI Product Owner

@Paule There was a loop points bug - not always, one of those strange ones that gets fixed by edit re-initializations, so isn't there while you are building, but is when just loading and playing :-@
    Fixed now (I hope) and new version uploaded. I hope its OK that I included the sample you posted in one of the demo snaps.
    -----
    I also fixed a tuning bug. Had forgotten that when using a floating point clock to play samples, precision becomes an issue after only a few seconds, so sample clock is now 64bit, and tuning is stable - no more wobbly pitch tracking.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Is it possible to set a loop edit like in Absynth?
    Abs5 Loop Edit start+end.jpg

9. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

You can have the samples included if you set a folder called Samples just beneath the ens. Both the ens and the folder are be in the same upper folder. Example: folder SimSam with the ens and subfolder Samples. Now rar/zip the folder SimSam. It's unpack at the users hdd. If I start Simple Sampler the used samples of snapshots are in the instrument. This is the way Tim built his FLOWs.
    Now I'm going to test your v1.4.

10. colB

colB NI Product Owner

There are problems with that. Without having a waveform display, I think it would be very difficult to find useful click-free loop points, even then, you really would want zoom-in capability to get it just right... Which would be a lot of work. The alternative would be some fancy intelligent system that used some combination of zero crossing detection, auto correlation, and crossfading to generate usable results. Considering this is supposed to be a 'simple' sampler, I'm not going to go there :). And then there's the problem that after spending time tweaking and finding nice loop points, you still cant export the waves if you want to use them elsewhere!
    Just use Wavosaur.

I think what does need to be added is better GUI features with modulation - maybe similar to Blocks, although maybe not... Also Key tracking for the filter...
    I might also have a look at sample map functionality and see if that can live alongside the drag n drop mechanic without getting in the way. That would allow the use of existing sample maps...
    At some point though, it would be more sensible to leave it simple and maybe think about a branch off to a different device that has other features, although I'm not sure that there aren't enough weird complicated sample players already in the UL

11. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I will have a look. Audacity and Nero WaveEditor are not.

12. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

13. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, all works fine.
    Against a cramp in one finger to test the loops go down with the mouse arrow to the task line while you press a key (p.e. Q) and press once the left mouse button in the task line. The sound goes on until you come to a snapshot with no loops.

---
    I PM you!

14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Yes, you're right. SimSam 1.4 is complete.

15. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  16. colB

colB NI Product Owner

Been fiddling with Sample Maps in Table framework...
    It was very easy to add a button to switch between using the drag n drop interface and using a Sample Map - just a few minor edits and it seems to work OK.

However, unless I'm missing something (Sample Map noob here, so probably), there seems to be a big drawback with sample maps. I can't find a way to have different sample maps in different snapshots. So no way to have a nice collection of different sample map based sounds as a snapshot bank. Surely this can't be right and I'm missing something obvious?

17. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

Colin, have a look in your conversation. I send you a pm with link.
    ---
    For each sample map you need a sampler loop. Is it that what you searching for?

18. arachnaut

Sample maps are 'attached' to Primary Samplers in their properties menu.

19. colB

colB NI Product Owner

I'm using a Primary module from the table framework called 'Sample Map' which works fine. No other sampler modules.

The only issue is that it only allows one fixed sample map. No way to have a different map loaded automatically with different snapshots.
    Is that the normal behaviour with the other sample modules? Or do they get a map per snapshot?

20. arachnaut

Sorry, never got into the new table stuff. I didn't know it used the same primary interface to sample maps.
    In the past, one could only assign a single map to a primary module, so I guess tables works the same way.
    Can you put a table in a table? That could allow multiple maps.