1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

slicing loops

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Discovery1, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Discovery1

Discovery1 NI Product Owner

At the moment I am slicing a loop into a sound and I can then extract whatever I want from that loop but could anyone tell me how to then add other sounds to that group so that I can group all my beats?

At the moment once I've sliced up 8 loops I have them each as a sound in its own group but no groups free.

I'm sure this is dead simple but I've looked through the manual and it's still a mystery to me!

2. rocadaburn

rocadaburn Forum Member

do you use the 'apply to' function when slicing?
    I often slice several loops in one group:
    select pad 1, load the loop, slice 16th->apply (not 'apply to' !).
    select pad 2, load the loop, slice 16th->apply (not 'apply to' !).

and so on... Or am I getting something wrong?:S

3. Discovery1

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a set of single hits sequences then tried to slice a loop and I don't think once I pressed apply I got any playback.

Do I need to sequence any pattern? When I slice in an empty group and use apply rather than apply to, I get instant playback once the slicing's done.

4. Discovery1

I have just tried this out and it seems to slice every loop into a new pattern.

How do I have a number of sliced loops in a group all playing at the same time?

Am I limited to having 1 loop per group playing at any one time?

5. Discovery1

bump! Please moderators! Surely I can't be confined to 8 sounds if I want to use loops!

6. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

you can in fact have 16 sliced loops playing at the same time. to do this you need to copy and paste your sliced loop to other Sounds and Patterns.

1/ change to Pattern Mode. you will see your Pattern in a straight line which maked it easier to copy.

2/ select all the notes and drag them down to a new Sound

3/ Copy the Sound form Sound 1 and also place it on the new sound - in my example Sound 2.

4/ Reset Sound 1, to add a new Sample for Slicing.

5/ Repeat the above procedures to add more Loops.

see pics:

does this help?

sowari

Attached Files:

7. Discovery1

Thanks for this Sowari.

When I try to do this it always copies the new sliced loop to a new pattern.

How do I get all of the loops sliced into the same pattern? Presumably I can't play more than one pattern in a group at the same time?
    ---
    Sorry, worked out how to use pads 11 and 12 now!

Thanks for the tip though, it pushed me to look at it properly!

8. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

you change from Keyboard Mode, which is seen in my first pic, to Pattern Mode, which you can see in my second pic.

sowari

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.