Smart Playlists in Traktor: WHEN?

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by NReek, Jun 3, 2011.

1. recurza

recurza New Member

Agreed. Besides, files can only be in one folder, but they can be in multiple playlists.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

you rock, @recurza !! thanks a lot. will try and give feedback as soon as i can.

i use mixed in key for key analysis. its key format is known to everybody and so is the difference, and incompatibility, between traktor format and mixed in key's. the search (or smart playlist) for key text contains "d" or "m", would help isolate those tracks where the MIK value has been mysteriously overwritten/replaced by traktor's value.

i have all my tracks locked by default. sometimes, the lock mysteriously unlocks itself. the locked-not locked smart playlist is to locate tracks that suffer from that.

last but not least, sometimes traktor replaces its bpm value (usually with some decimal portion) by the value that is stored in the formal bpm tag, the grid starting point remains but it's plotted with a wrong tempo, which renders sync unusable. these are harder to identify because there are tracks which actually have a tempo with .000 as decimals and are right. but if you combine a track appears unlocked, and appears with a rounded tempo, chances increase this issue i describe has happened there, re-analysis and re-lock is in order.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. recurza

recurza New Member

I see. For bpm, do you mean Traktor scans the already-tagged track, replaces the bpm value, and then randomly replace that with the original (bad) bpm? Also, can you send me a portion of your collection.nml that contains the bad bpm? (from <ENTRY> to </ENTRY>)

4. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

yes, with "traktor bpm" i meant (A) the one that's stored in the traktor collection, and with "formal bpm" i meant (B) the content of each track's TBPM tag.

(B) may or may not be stored in a song's tag, but when that track is added to traktor and it performs its analysis, it gathers (A) as a decimal value and stores it in the collection, it also writes it as an integer in (B).

the issue i describe is that, some time after this process has been done, traktor gets (B) and overwrites (A) in random tracks.

maybe, somehow, traktor does not trust or does not find the data in the db entry for that track in its collection, and may "patch" it with what it can get from the tag, instead of warning that some data is not available.

5. recurza

recurza New Member

hmm... then there's no way to distinguish between (A) and (B)?

6. Floppybob

Floppybob New Member

Traktor already contains smart playlists in the track collection, It makes no sense why this has not been fully implemented though!
    All of the genre/artists/labels/tracks/samples folders etc. under Track Collection are indeed smart playlists, with live updating.
    The only missing link is that you cannot create or edit your own smart playlist.
    Come on NI, you are so close to having a properly functioning database manager, Surly it can't be that hard, especially because it is already built into traktor..

PS, recurza, nice work. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but looking forward to giving it a crack.

7. mastermc

mastermc NI Product Owner

nope you can't , if you want to make a playlist of what's in a specific folder or other things .

8. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

well, (A) is in the traktor collection and (B) is in the tag. you're right to say there's no way to distinguish them if the value is the same (A=128.000 and B=128)

but if there was a way to review changes made historically (not asking you to do so!) comparing the collection with a previous one, we should be able to see when a track has been modified in collection from, let's say 128.452 to 128.000.

in either case, i made a specific request (well, several if i recall correctly) to NI through forums and support, to please avoid overwriting both key text and traktor's tempo in any situation. nobody listened, it seems...

9. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

Maybe the moderators can comment on this and why this continues to be ignored by NI.

Wasn't this part of Fresh Fluke big meeting with NI a while back?

10. Filipe Teles

Filipe Teles New Member

That would be a great addition. Smart playlist based on track's keys. Implement this NI!

11. mastermc

n.i. isn't even reading this .

12. Jony Srebra

Jony Srebra New Member

I understand everyone wants smart playslists in traktor, ok, that's cool, I agree, but why can't you use itunes smart playlists in traktor? It's easy and simple: just create one in itunes, hit refresh in traktor and you have it!

13. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

Whilst what you say is true, this is the reason the NI have given for not implementing Smart Playlists - use iTunes. It does it as well as anyone else could.

For years I accepted this and was happy to do so. I am no longer happy to do so.
    iTunes has been getting bloated for years and now it's at a point where it's really obese.

Did anyone notice when Apple decided that you can't name a playlist in iTunes with spaces? I do this to create hierarchical folders.
    It can no longer be done. Apple are making it less user friendly.

It is time for Smart Playlists in Traktor - period.

Karlos

• Like Like x 2
  14. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

not to mention that constantly dragging songs from the itunes node to decks (so, re-adding them to the collection) may lead to potential problems, like rounded down bpms, key overwrite, loss of cue points...

the traktor database balance/consistency can be fragile sometimes.

15. mastermc

yes I agree but the time for smart playlists was many years ago and there are no reasons that n.i. could give that anyone would care about . What's needed is needed period .

N.I. could make this happen if they wanted .

Itunes is limited in what tags you can use to make smart playlists and also does not have directory or file name option . Itunes was never and will never be an option for me .

16. mastermc

i heard on win 10 alac works .

17. tompei

tompei NI Product Owner

18. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

19. spyderdyne

spyderdyne New Member

What you are asking for already exists. Just use the iTunes node in Traktor. I had the same concerns that you have expressed but decided to try it out and ended up loving it. I always check the release notes when an iTunes update comes out to make sure I am not going to break my playlists though. No issues in the over 2 years since I implemented this.

20. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

Thanks for the tip, but, no, it doesn't.

I don't want to access smart playlists created in itunes, from traktor.

I need to create smart playlists within traktor, with its own fields -some not available in itunes, key, for example.

Please read the OP, and the rest of the thread. there are several reasons why this request is still legitimate and relevant. But ignored anyway, as you may have deduced.