1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking kills ...a cpu hard drive

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by kaaos, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

I read somewhere that a smoking environment is bad for a CPU's hard drive. ! smoking practical is the equivalent of a 5 ton boulder in the middle of an express way. what precautions can we take to keep our hard drives safe in clubs where the smoke is everywhere?....Filters on the fans?

2. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Probably no less hard on a drive than the user. Drives them selves are nearly hermetically sealed, though they do have a pressure balancing vent I can imagine an accumulation of dust and smoke particles to be a problem in concentration but I cannot see it be much if any issue to the platters and heads as ingress to the mechanism is difficult to say the least. I'm not aware of anyone here who has seen a failure that can be specifically tied to smoking. There are reports though that drinks being poured into mixers and laptops are a problem! ;)

Phil

3. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

I have come close to spilling RUM & COKE all over my cpu....i would have sh*t a brick:eek:

4. christopher_Tf

christopher_Tf Forum Member

100 bucks

spilled less than one mouthful on the keys on my laptop. had to pay 100 to get a new one put in. if it had been any more beer, it would have went over the edge where it stopped and fried the whole thing they said.

5. chewy_Tf

chewy_Tf Forum Member

Smoking?

You guys still allow smoking in nightclubs???

bizzare.

If smokers were still allowed to do their thing inside a danceclub, I would never go.

~chewy

6. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

Re: Smoking?

Point taken! lets not turn the conversation into an anti-smoking crusade tho. FWIW I don't smoke cigarettes, never have never will nuff said..

Anyways I have found Spilling drink all over the inside of me to be far better than spilling all over the inside of my computer.

Phil

7. kaaos

kaaos Forum Member

yes they still smoke in pubs bars clubs ect here in chicago...California is about the only place i know where they don't allow it in the USA

8. DrBrooks

DrBrooks NI Product Owner

I've never heard of smoke killing a HD.. just the user.

These States have a smoking ban in bars:
    California
    Delaware
    New York
    Massachusetts
    Maine
    Connecticut

As of Jan 4, 2005

9. pulsewidth_Tf

pulsewidth_Tf Forum Member

From time to time i have a close call with heat, or drinks spilling on my laptop. Then i remember these:

Panasonic Toughbook

MIL-STD-810F compliant. Magnesium alloy or full magnesium cases, shock insulated hard drives, spill-resistant keyboards, can be operated in high temperature environments... :cool:

10. gmint

gmint NI Product Owner

@DrBrooks

You can add Lincoln, NE to that list as well

11. christopher_Tf

christopher_Tf Forum Member

yep

but they might pull this loop hole stuff off that pre empts the smoking ban and then it would be up to each place to decide.

i dont smoke cigarettes, so i really could care less, but the way they went about it was lame. its also brought about more problems downtown where i work then it has solved if that makes sense.

12. Gavin Staveley_Tf

Gavin Staveley_Tf Forum Member

Technically
    =========

Filters on fans wont work because the fan actually sucks the air from inside to outside causing a vacume causing air to flow into the case through whatever gaps and vents are on the unit.

The best way to protect equipment from "dust" and other particles is to place the equipment into a preassurised environment, This is where fans/air conditioning vents push air into an area so that when doors or windows open, air exhailes instead of inhaling. This keeps the pressurised area dust free.

Preassurising can be done on 19" rack mountable enclosures and small areas such as a glass-enclosed dj console.

There is more expensive equipment than a laptop in most consoles and I am surprised a manager/owner would let staff or anyone for that matter drink/smoke/whaterver except work in a console.

CULTURALLY
    ===========
    I wouldn't fart on your food so I don't know why people have the nerve to smoke in other people's faces.
    At least a fart is not carcenogenic (causes cancer).

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.