1. Hi everyone,

This forum is now closed for posting! If you require technical support from NI or have a questions about activating your product, please head over to our new Support Community!

NATIVE INSTRUMENT SUPPORT COMMUNITY

The Support Community is the new location where you can expect to receive assistance and feedback on technical support, sales or installation issues from our Support Agents and other users.

Please also note, questions about the status of an order should always be directly sent to our Order Support team HERE.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Sound drop outs under Yosemite

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by DJ Tomixxx, Mar 21, 2015.

1. DJ Tomixxx

DJ Tomixxx New Member

Dear all,

I have recently updated my MacBook Pro (15", mid 2010, 8GB RAM, 512 SSD) from Mountain Lion to Yosemite. Unfortunately, I experience serious issues with Traktor 2.7.x now.

During my last two gigs, I had multiple short sound drop outs (think of it like CD skipping sounds). In summary, about 5 drop outs during a 7 hour gig. The drop outs last between 1 to 3 seconds. My sound setup is:

• Traktor 6 Audio with latest firmware installed
    • Latency:192 samples
    • Timecode
    • externer Mixer
    • WLAN and Bluetooth off
    • App Nap feature deactivated for Traktor App

I am a kind of helpless. A brief look at the system.log of Yosemite (Konsole.app) yielded an core audio issue.
    Most times an audio drop out was combined with the following system log:

21.03.15 00:23:19,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff802f83e000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: counted 2 clip more than one buffer ahead errors.
    21.03.15 03:04:17,000 kernel[0]: IOAudioStream[0xffffff802f83e000]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: counted 3 clip more than one buffer ahead errors.

I have exchanged USB cables. But is has not solved the issue. I have connected my Vestax VCI-400 controller and used its sound interface for DJing (no timecode). But Traktor still produced a couple of sound drop outs.

Any one out there with similar issues?

2. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

your latency seems to be very low, that could cause dropouts try with 512. in case it makes no difference, the following may make sense.

around christmas i had issues with the yosemite + 2.7.x combo. mine were a little more troublesome, i would load a track, the stripe wouldn't show in the deck, and within 5 seconds all sound would go completely off.

it happened 4 embarassing times, during live sets. i got in touch with support, we weren't able to find the cause, but long story short, i could kill the issue by reinstalling yosemite. not even a clean install, just an install on top of the existing one.

maybe you can try reinstalling yosemite. but beware if you have a non-apple ssd and you're using trim enabler... make sure you disable trim before reinstalling or you won't be able boot (right away) from your ssd.

3. DJ Tomixxx

DJ Tomixxx New Member

A MacBook Pro should not have issues with low latencies. For scratching, you will need a latency of less than 512 samples. 192 samples has never been an issue on Moutain Lion (10.8), Traktor and TA6. But I'll give it a try to see if things improve.

4. markino2003@mac.com

markino2003@mac.com Forum Member

I am having the same issue but with a different machine (check my signature) I tried everything, I changed the cables (I bought a 60$ USB cable), change latency (128 to 512), I changed sample rate (44100 to 48000), I changed computer (MBP 15" 2012 to a MBP 15" 2013), I changed sound card (NI-S4 to a Pioneer DJM-900) but in fact nothing changed!
    I still have those audio drops exactly as you described, not frequently like before but I still have this fuc@@ing drops every 50-60 hours of playing time.

5. markino2003@mac.com

I forget to tell you that with Mountain Lion was even worse, Yosemite is not that bad but probably is not made for a old machine like a 2010 MBP.

6. DJ Tomixxx

DJ Tomixxx New Member

Meanwhile I have bouhgt a new MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2014, Retina, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD). All sounded good for around 2 hours, but then I got regulular drop outs about every 60mins. Moreover, with 192 latency, I got crackling sound when I opened Launchpad. This, however, is another issue off topic.

My theory is that OSX became worse. Finally, I decided to return my new MacBook.

Attached find a video illustrating the drop out. Watch the last 15 seconds.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8lxhdndpl3suna/Soundaussetzer VCI400.mp4?dl=0

7. markino2003@mac.com

@DJ Tomixxx i watched the video and yes, it's exactly the same happens to me, fortunately not very often but I do not like it at all!
    In my opinion is not the OS X but the new Macbook Pro.
    I can tell you that Traktor is not very reliable, far less than Serato, I'm not telling that I will change software but I think NI should work more on reliability rather than adding new unnecessary functions.

8. pivaz

pivaz Member

Same problem like in DJ Tomixxx video. Using TP 2.7.3. with traktor kontrol s2 mk2, also same problem with control s2 mk1.
    And i have another issue, when i don't press anything or using trackpad on mbp (Yosemite) 2-10 mins, sound from traktor stops and if u press any button sound goes again, but if u have lock screen turned on sound can stops again until screen is unlocked. Wtf is going on? Also if screensaver enabled sound can stops. I switch off sleep in laptop - but problem still the same. Now I can't guess when the sound is turned off and can't go away from the computer.

9. blakis

blakis New Member

@DJ Tomixxx I have the same mac book pro and the same problem

10. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

A few more of us with the same issue:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/audio-dropout-and-latency-lag-problem.254921/

It's not just Yosemite, I'm running Mavericks and have had the issue. I've been having it over 2 MacBook Airs (2011 model with USB2 and 2013 with USB3), and with 2.6.8, 2.7.1 and 2.7.4 (briefly), with DJM850, DJM900NXS and TA6.

So I took an extreme route to stop it ... I tried out an RME Fireface 802 as my soundcard, and at the same time I happened to change my USB hub to the D-Link DUB-H7 (although @ReeceDuncan has this hub and still has this issue).

Fireface worked flawlessly for several gigs, and sounded an insane amount better than the DJM's in the venues I worked in, but at this stage it's not an option to purchase as a permanent fix.

Since then I have gone back to using the mixer at my gigs (both happen to have DJM850's) and actually haven't had the issue pop up again ... So I have no idea what's fixed it.

Here is my current setup (should update Sig while I'm at it, lol)
    MacBook Air 11" 2013, 1.3GHz, 4GB, 256GB, 10.9.5
    Traktor (Scratch) Pro 2.7.5 (Beta) - don't use scratch much though
    Left USB to DJM850 via Lindy CHROMO USB cable - 1m or 2m depending on gig
    Right USB to powered hub, DUB-H7, via Lindy CHROMO USB cable 50cm
    Powered hub to 2 x CDJ2000NXS, 2 x X1mk2, 1 x F1 via 5 x DJTT Chroma Cables

As much as I want to know what causes this issue, I'm happy that (so far) it hasn't come back.

11. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Have you tried turning off App Nap or whatever it's called?

12. blakis

blakis New Member

i tried but still same

13. MikaelByström

MikaelByström NI Product Owner

Have you guys with dropout issues investigated Intel SpeedStep issues? Intermittent audio dropouts have been connected to this in the past. Disabling Speedstep may be CPU specific and unfortunately involves a simple hack, but if you're afflicted by speedstep related issues disabling does help. The only downside is you will run out of battery faster if you're operating on solely on battery How often do you do that?

In my opinion music software producers should make intel speedstep disabling a part of their software.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  14. blakis

blakis New Member

and the 2.8 version problem still exists

15. blakis

blakis New Member

16. blakis

blakis New Member

Watch the last 15 seconds.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Dj-b-drop

Dj-b-drop Member

k im done

18. DJ Tomixxx

DJ Tomixxx New Member

@blakis: I can confirm your statement: Traktor 2.8.0. does not solve the issue for me.

I am now in a bad situation: Because of the issues I use Mountain Lion (10.8) for live gigs with Traktor 2.7.3. Unfortuntely, Traktor 2.8.0 skips support for Mountain Lion. So I cannot update my Traktor anymore. At the moment I am really thinking of migrating to Serato. But I do not like their licencing model.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  19. DJ Tomixxx

DJ Tomixxx New Member

BTW: I do have a NI support ticket number.

Conversation between NI and me has started in January 2015. The support guy is very nice and is willing to help. Unfortunately, this issue seems to affect a minority of Traktor users. So I am not sure how to increase the pressure on NI. My last email, where I pointed to the video (https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8lxhdndpl3suna/Soundaussetzer VCI400.mp4?dl=0) has not been replied so far.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  20. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Please post your ticket number in this thread and possibly @Karlos Santos can see if it can be looked at sooner than later as it is now a problem for quite a few people.