Sound Quality of Traktor

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by JohnnyH, Aug 23, 2015.

1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Hi Guys

when trying out the new 64bit version of traktor I noticed a major difference in the sound quality, dull, muffled etc.

I contacted N.I. and complained about the poor sound quality, they replied and said I should revert back to the 32bit 2.6.8 version, and boy was there a difference in the sound quality.

Has anyone else noticed this ?? why in the new 64bit version of traktor sound quality lacking compared to 32bit version ??

also has the 64bit version improved sound quality wise over the current releases ?

I'm still using the old 2.6.8 version, seem's crazy i'm using an old version and not enjoying the benefits of the 64 bit version, but don't want to degrade sound quality

I also keep having a my playlist corrupted with song from other play lists too, but no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of this problem

any feedback appreciated

Regards

2. wapperen

wapperen NI Product Owner

Same here.....when playing live i use version 2.6.8. At home i'm using the latest version.....with inconsistent sound quality....indeed muffled and dull, compressed.....thin...
    I sometimes have the feeling that I need to clean my ears, but my ears are not the culprit.

Funny thing btw.....! I think that my system is fully optimized. Yesterday i recorded a mix and had my sound quality set at 96 Khz as a test, had no
    significant difference in sound quality when playing live....BUT, the recorded file sounds crisp and isn't as dull!

The 96 Khz recording .wav file is compressed and uploaded to mixcloud, and even that sounds better than traktor in a live situation.....

gr Henri

3. wapperen

wapperen NI Product Owner

The situation above, applies to this setup:

Traktor 2.9
    iMac with yosemite 10.10.5
    Audio 8 DJ

And most important, I use my x1 to control the internal mixer. I'm mixing with the internal mixer....

4. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Funny thing is it seems the two top DJ products (software houses) are going backward with sound quality !!!!

I have just purchased the Pioneer SX2 and it comes with searto DJ, the sound is truly CRAP! I'm so disappointed,

Both searto DJ and The new 64bit version of traktor is truly crap sounding ???

What is going on with the launch of these products, the sound quality is the most important factor period, that's what gets people on the dance floor, a good sounding system!!

The sound quality of both searto DJ software and traktor pro 2 64bit should be getting better with every release, It's not, it's getting worse!

Where do we go Now, ??? Record Box ???

I don't give a dam about all the software toys, FX, and silly features, first priority MUST ALWAYS BE SOUND QUALITY period....

then bring in all the silly toys

As a Pro Club DJ I simply want a thumping crystal clean digital sound system and with every release of both searto DJ and Traktor Pro 2 this is far from what I am hearing

With today's technology and electronics the sound quality should be getting better, I'm trying to go digital from my CDJ2000 but every which way I turn the sound quality is truly rubbish.

How can N.I. expect DJs to keep using old dated versions of traktor 2.6.8 because the sound is so much better and then keep releasing new 64bit version that sound rubbish ????

This whole Digital DJ market has truly lost the plot....

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  5. kallekenkel

kallekenkel NI Product Owner

NI does not color the sound in any way, there is almost certainly something wrong with your setup or settings.
    Again, with all settings to neutral, Traktor just passes the sound from the sound file to the audio interface. It does not compress or anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

No sorry you are wrong!

Read what other people are saying too!

Support at native instruments said to go back to 2.6.8 to improve the sound quality when I mentioned how poor the new version sounded!

Even the support guy said he uses the 2.6.8 version due to the better sound quality

They even sent me 2.6.8 as I could not download it.

Compare the two yourself ! simply on the PC. they both sound totally different, same lossless track.

but if your happy with the sound of the new 64bit version that's fine, maybe your ears cant detect the difference ? all I know is it is dull and very flat sounding.

7. Daniel Ventura

Daniel Ventura NI Product Owner

on sdj the sx2 soundcard are the Problem (Hardware) it's just not that good.
    you can easily compare to the crisp Sound of any rane soundcard or mixer. there are worlds between them and the sx Sound Quality.

8. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Thank you for your feed back,

How pioneer and searto can even put there name to this product is beyond me, after spending a £1000 setup it is truly embarrassing sound quality.

I have always favored pioneer kit but i'm truly now starting to question their controllers, I know the sx2 is one down from the top but it should still sound much much better than it does. God only knows what there entry level controllers sound like ?

Plus the SX2 has just been released as a new product ??

Is rane kit better than pioneer sound wise, I have always used pioneers mixers and I also own a A&H xone:92

I'm just really lost as to what way to go, it just seems everything new sounds rubbish

9. Daniel Ventura

hmm you can also compare the sx for example to the pio mixer internal soundcards, they all Sound better than the sx one (for me). no matter if used with sdj or Traktor.

10. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Hello again

what about the Rane Sixty-Eight how does this compare to the DDM-900

It seems like I have to get away from the pioneer controllers, was considering buying the SZ, but the SX2 has put me right off, and I now have a bad taste in my mouth about pioneer sound quality. Thus why I am asking about Rane

Regards

11. Daniel Ventura

the rane dacs are better than pioneer mixer ones as far as i know/hear. in an high end Setup i prefer for example the djm 900nxs with an external dac (rme adi2) so you get the best possible. but always remember: **** in - **** out if your source material is crap nothing can help you to make it Sound better :)

12. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Funny enough been looking for a new PC sound card the RME ufx

So your saying you don't use the XLR out of the pioneer DDJ900, you use digital link from the DDJ 900 to the RME and then use analog out of the RME ?

How much difference does this make ??

what about the rest of the audio quality in the 900 before it's outputs,

Really appreciate any feed back as I need to move to a digital system, just don't want be hindered by poor sound,
    The controllers would have been ideal but it's clear one has to suffer poor sound quality, so I have ruled them out.

It's now rane vs pioneer, must be honest I like the look and features of the 900, but don't want to suffer poor sound quality anymore,

thanks for any feedback

13. Daniel Ventura

it's all about the dac Quality. if you got some electronic experience you can add a spdif out to any Controller and get superior Quality out of an external dac.
    yes- i'm using the djm spdif out to connect the adi2 and than use the adis xlr ports to the amps.
    the 900 built in dac isn't bad for 99% of the use cases. but if you want it best than use an external dac.

14. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Thank you,

I'm an electronics design engineer in digital control systems, not audio but know exactly what you are saying. I have been told RME do have some of the best DACs in the industry. Thus why I was looking to invest in the REM ufx too

Regards

15. Daniel Ventura

so it should be easy for you to add a spdif out to your sx2. you only have to grab the i2c channel on the sx interal dac and put a 5usd spdif Transceiver after it.

16. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

yes, that's an option!

are they really using I2C ? I thought they would have been using SPI devices for faster speed. I2C bus is limited to 400k

I will be purchasing a (rme adi2) for starters, that will get my back end to the crown macrotech 5000 amplifiers sounding correct.

with the backend right I can then work forwards to the mixer, thank you for the tip about the ADI2

I then need to work out do I want a pioneer controller, or should I use DVS with existing CDJ 2000 players and a serious mixer rane / pioneer

but still not sure about the sound quality of the new traktor 64bit or serato DJ, it seems all the searto people seem to favor scratch live ? and as for traktor pro 2 the only version I really like the sound of is 2.6.8

though think the sx2 sound quality is not helping either with my issues... so many variables and so much poor sound quality.

I have also come across so many DJs that just think there is no problem with the sound of searto and the sx2, totally amazed lol

How can pioneer even release this poor quality rubbish and a mid to high end controller, it's one down from the top, also shocked there is no spdif out either

17. Daniel Ventura

sorry meant i2s :)

18. cyus6366

cyus6366 NI Product Owner

JohnnyH, do you use as Wapperen Yosemite OSX?

There is a known bug concerning the mac audio driver and Apple is working on it.
    Maybe thats why your sound is muffled ans maybe sometimes you get drop outs?

For myself I use Mavericks & a SX2 with a modified mapping. We just tried to play the same tunes on the same bose L1 mod2 system with a friend of mine playing with the same conf and we can't notice any sound quality difference between 2.6.8 and 2.9 using the internal mixer.

But I never use this conf to play live: I'm using an A10 soundcard as it has enough channels to route and the SX2 is working as an external mixer.

And there you can hear THE difference between internal software mixing and external hardware mix.

Hope it will help you, but don't throw away your SX2, or I can give you my address to send it for my birthday

19. JohnnyH

JohnnyH NI Product Owner

Thanks for the feedback

Hi I am using Yosemite OSX? for live DJ work

But even on my pc that I use for audio editing, my lossless music files, sound so much better through my PC sound card with traktor 2.6.8 than the 64bit traktor! and the limited editing version of serato DJ???

So something is going on ? also when I use traktor 2.6.8 on the mac, the sound quality is not bad either, not the best but much more acceptable.

I have never suffered on the mac with any drop outs or high processor usage, just muffled, dull sounding audio.

I think I have totally lost faith in the SX2 and or Serato DJ

20. TroyMichael

TroyMichael Forum Member

In the issue of sound quality try this. Listen to music on your headphones connected directly to your laptop no controller or external sound card.

Compare Traktor to Serato & Itunes and rank them. Also make sure your EQ on all sofware is flat.

When i did this i found iTunes to sound the best followed by Serato and traktor last. iTunes was significantly better than traktor & Serato. Could be some internal EQ thing but not sure and i am interested in what others think.

I also did a comparison a while back with Both Serato & Traktor being played off a Denon 6000MK2 as the sound out going into pro speakers. I could not tell the difference in sound Quality between Serato & Traktor.

I while back i did a test comparing timecode and NI A6 vs Serato SL3. i thought the A6 sounded better that the SL3.