spec of mac pro used in video tutorials

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by RockyD, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Having vastly underestimated the true minimum requirement for Traktor Scratch I'd rather not do the same with Maschine.

Please could someone from N.I. confirm what spec the computer used (didn't want to presume it necessarily was the laptop shown) in the tutorial videos was?

Ideally I'd like to know (not what the minimum spec required to install but) the minimum required spec to run the software and hardware without noticeable latency / artifacts when using multiple effects.

2. alexbuga

alexbuga NI Product Owner

It actually was the laptop from the videos ;)

Those Macbooks are pretty strong, you know ?

And they have plenty of RAM.

3. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

@alexbuga, thanks for the reply but you've not answered my question.

Do you know which Macbook Pro they're using?

I don't intend to use Maschine with a laptop but I want to know what spec I may need to upgrade my desktop to before I purchase another piece of N.I. software.

Please don't ask me to quote my current specification, I don't need someone to say that "should" be fine.
    I'd appreciate an official response from N.I. if possible, if I need to request through another method then fair enough.

I apologise if the tone of my request sounds rather negative but my experience with Traktor Scratch is that to use it with timecoded vinyl/cd, the Audio 8 DJ and in built functionality like key lock etc. you need a much better spec than the "minimum" quoted on the website.
    As the video demostrates several effects being used in real time my thought was as long as my desktop has a better specification than the laptop I will hopefully not have the same problems again.

4. Christoph @ NI

Christoph @ NI NI Team NI Team

The MacBook Pro we used in the videos is a 15" model featuring a 2,8 GHz Core2Duo CPU and 4 GB of RAM. We also replaced the standard hard disk with a 320 GB model running at 7200 rpm.

Hope this helps.
    Christoph

5. ifgy

ifgy Forum Member

I'm quite interested in this as well.

6. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

I can appreciate that N.I. would obviously want to advertise as low a minimum spec as possible but my experience with Traktor Scratch was the minimum spec was way below what was actually required to use the software to it's true potential.
    There are countless threads on the TS forums detailing how to disable everything on your pc just to get the software running but that's with lots of stuff turned off in the application itself. Personally I would rather they specified a higher spec with a disclaimer saying that below that some features might not be availalbe, or better still would be to post a few guideline minimum specs including which features should (and might not) be supported at that level.

7. Suicide Server

Suicide Server Forum Member

Im running Maschine along with Ableton Live 7 and a lot of plugins on an Apple MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz Core2Duo. I use a 7.2000 rpm hdd and 4 GB of RAM. So far i dont have a single hickup or glitch even when i go completely insane with the FX. I have to admit though that a little bit of tweaks had to be done to my mac to have everything perfectly running. Hope that helps.

8. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Thanks for the replies that is a great help.
    My desktop pc currently is a Pentium D 2.8Gz with 2Gb of ram which I think I'm correct in saying is above the minimum spec quoted on the microsite.
    As my mobo won't accept any more ram I think I'll have to upgrade it, the cpu and ram.

9. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

The RAM upgrade isn't essential IMO- I run Maschine along with my other plugins on 2 GB.

Remember that with 32 bit Windows, there's 2 GB for program use and 1 GB for the OS. Any additional RAM goes to memory addresses for graphics and such things. And, while XP Home may recognize more than 3 GB, it can't do anything with it- you'd need XP Pro and the PAE switch enabled- and there, as I said, the extra RAM goes to memory addressing. 2 GB's the sweet spot for XP; beyond that, it's diminshing returns.

With Vista 32, 4 GB's the sweet spot. however, once again you're limited to 2 GB and 1 GB OS. The memory addressing needs are much higher though, hence the bump to 4 GB.

If you want to utilize more RAM, you'll have to go x64.

ew

10. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

I'm running Vista Ultimate and do not want to downgrade to XP so 4GB it is. :)
    I read a couple of threads about software not using multiple cores but can't remember if I was in Maschine forums or Traktor Scratch now. If that's the case, is there a certain type of dual core processor that would be better for an application that will only use one?

Slightly off topic but while I have your attention, having browsed the TSPro forums today I've decided not to bother upgrading for now and would like to sell my copy of TS. I've read a couple of threads that say there isn't a deactivation process anymore aside from uninstalling, signing in to my account I couldn't see a button anywhere. How would I request the serial number be unassociated from my account please?
    I am dissapointed to give up on TSPro (before I've even upgraded to it) but I can't justify spending £900 on a new laptop that from what I've read on the forums today still might not guarantee me good quality key lock and lag free timecode control. I think TSPro is an amazing product but I'm not prepared to compromise and lose the flawless master tempo and vinyl emulation I've got now with my CDJs.
    The money will go towards Maschine for now and hopefully in the future I'll read great things about TSPro's new and improved key lock and vinyl emulation by then laptops will run the software without even warming up the cpu.

EDIT: found this so this post can remain on topic.

11. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Why limit yourself to dual cores? Quad cores are cheap nowdays.

If you're using Maschine in a host environment, the more cores the better- most if not all of your hosts out there multithread these days. If you're using Maschine by itself, raw speed is what you're looking for. With all the sample playing, the other factors to look for are FSB speed and RAM speed.

ew

12. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

OMG! TS Duo has just popped up, how long has that been on the site?
    I'm confused... Christoph, do you know what spec laptops Craze and Klever were using please?
    I notice the minimum spec for Duo doesn't list Vista.
    EDIT: found the Pro vs Duo comparison chart...
    Typical... I just sent the support request to say I'd like to sell my TS. :( :S

What's the deal on "twice as tight"?
    Is Duo more responsive for scratching, that's not mentioned in the product comparison chart?

P.S. Thanks ew will have a look at Quad cores then.

13. continuous

continuous NI Product Owner

Can you share what drive was installed pretty please?

14. Christoph @ NI

Christoph @ NI NI Team NI Team

No, because I wasn't involved in producing this video. I assume they both brought their own laptops along, and it seems they were using MacBooks as well, one of which being from a previous generation while the other one is the latest model. I don't know any details regarding processor and RAM specs, sorry.

Anything featuring a Core 2 Duo CPU and at least 2 GB of RAM should be sufficient for running TRAKTOR SCRATCH on Windows or Mac OS X alike.

Utilizing a higher-frequency timecode signal (double the frequency compared to other systems, to be precise) enables TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO and DUO to respond to scratching and other CD or vinyl control actions twice as fast as other DVSs.

Best,
    Christoph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.