SSL vs TS

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by djquartz, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djarsennal

Djarsennal Forum Member

I have never got Traktor crash on me, TDJS3 or TS, actually TDJS3 crashed once when i was practicing because norton started a scan, the same thing happened to me with Torq, but thats the way I practice using all programs on the computer because if it works good with all programs working it should be better when i go to a club and turn all the programs off. also you need to make sure you have at least 1.5 gigs of ram did have some problems with less memory specially if you have no paging file turn on your PC.

2. yagru

yagru Forum Member

I agree time will tell. I am coming from a completely non biased standpoint here and have used almost all DVS now extensively (starting with FS 1.0). No offense but it just seems like alot of the TS users reporting here do not have enough experience with this to make vallid TS vs SSL claims.

And yes my A8 is set to vinyl. Like I said, it seems that TS does have a conservative threshold set, as opposed to SSL which lets the user adjust their own threshold, which is why it seems TS does not pick up all the minute movements imo so far.

3. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Minute movements?

How, provide an example.

From my testings, I can stop the record, if I move the record TS tracks it no matter how slow I'm moving the record.

So I'm sure everyone would like to see an example of the problem.

4. yagru

yagru Forum Member

Its not a problem, it just seems like I said, a result of the threshold. A good example would be to use SSL with a non conservative threshold setting and make platter adjustments in the mix. Then do the same thing with TS. TS will not pickup the small sensitive adjustments. I did this side by side this weekend and a friend agreed on the same thing.

5. djquartz

That's where I don't agree with you because any change in timecode TS will see.

I'm assuming you're referring to rubbing the platter, squeezing the spindle, or rubbing the record label to adjust a mix, etc.

Correct?

6. yagru

yagru Forum Member

Im sure NI has programmed a specific threshold setting or automatic configuration to reduce noise and system variation.. and also to be able to control the exact kind of output/sound quality that everyone gets. Basically you cannot have a system like this without some sort of filtering period. They all do it. If you setup SSL with threshold in the middle you will NOT get the same response as you will with threshold either set high or low. Each setting offers a different feel and response. Having SSL estimate/automatically configure it for you will give you a somewhat conservative setting also. But thats where I can come in and adjust it further to give even a better response, although i may experience some unwanted interference when the record is stopped. This is fact.. and if TS allowed you to configure it yourself, then you would get a different feel, although the sound may not be as good slow as it is now! Anyway it doesnt matter, im just pointing something out and this is a preference.

7. djquartz

That's where the rumble filter comes in to stop the unwanted drift when the record is stopped.

TFS had adjustments for response but the devs decided to remove these options in TS.

They left TS wide open to give it the quickest response without 'smoothing' the response.

8. FunkyRob

FunkyRob Forum Member

I know a bunch of guys that use SSL and when ever they come up with an update, I always hear that there are some buggy issue with different features.

I also rember reading on the scratchlive.net forums that there are several "known issues". One of which happens to be that it still doesn't work on Vista. How long has Vista been out? They've got a beta version, but I read that people are still having problems.

Bashing a product that's only been officially release for 16 days just isn't right to me. You think SSL was perfect when it first came out? It wasn't.

True I'm a mac g4 user. But I am patiently waiting for an update. I know it's being worked on and that pleases the hell out of me. After all the "optimizations", it's working quite well. Not as perfect as I'd like, but I know and feel confident that it will soon.

I'm just saying be nice people. That's all.

9. yagru

yagru Forum Member

Whos bashing anything?

10. djquartz

I think it's just a misunderstanding of words being used.

Back to the discussion.

What other differences or problems are being seen between the two?

11. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

maybe, you might be sounding like you are bashing, but I see that you are being a little reluctant since TS is late on the scene... However, TS does have features that run around SSL...

I believe it is unfair to say that TS is unstable... like it is unfair for me to say that it is stable. It's too early to pass judgment on TSs stability...

I am merely saying that SSL is tapped out due to it's HW limitations, and as far as your adjustment issue... I tried doing that with SSL and didn't really see that much of a difference in performance.

as far as being experts, can you be an expert working with SSL in a couple of years? I mean c'mon, the experts are the engineers anyway... not the end users... unless you are referring to expert users of SSL...

12. dj_huck

dj_huck NI Product Owner

13. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

@ Funky Rob

Good post!

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  14. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

Do you mean the horizontal view of TS? This can be changed in SSL.

Sounds fair.

15. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

16. hamzter

hamzter Forum Member

17. nik39

nik39 NI Product Owner

18. dj_huck

dj_huck NI Product Owner

yeah i am not sure about the other unit. the thing is that the video will just use the second output of the laptop.

19. harry_Tf

harry_Tf Forum Member

ssl wants to charge for video capability, it will be built into the software(free) but the routing of the video will require serato's video unit(not free).

20. Todd Konix

Todd Konix NI Product Owner

My man, where are you getting your (false) information from?

Video will be a plug-in/separate application, it's not built into SSL 1.8. It only "communicates" with SSL. It will cost extra though, so those that don't want it don't have to have it, but that's no secret or surprise as they (Serato) have said it will cost extra since day 1. There's no extra "video box unit" required. It just outputs though your computer's video out port. Video is only going to work with the TTM57 at first, and later on with the SL1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.