1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Stanton STR8 150 worth it?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by silversx, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silversx

silversx Forum Member

Don't really feel like spending 2k on 1210s

so i'm looking at the str8 150 from stanton.. from what i've read they seem to be very good bang for buck..

are there better alternatives for TSP 2 use short of 1200s?

thanks for any input

2. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

The STR8 150s are a very good deck, definitely a contender for the crown especially since Techs are no longer in production. Besides perhaps the newer Numark TTXs or the Vestax PDX series (yes I'm a fanboy), the superOEM line of decks (of which the STR8-150s are a member I believe) are your best bet for timecode or even conventional vinyl DJing.

3. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

You could try to get a few SL 1200/1210 secondhand.

Got mine 16 years ago - still going on strong.

Will be the deck you have to play with in venues.

4. silversx

silversx Forum Member

i realize it'll be the club installation decks..

how different will it be to go from superoem decks like str8150 to 1200s

5. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Not too much adjustment to worry about. I wish djquartz was still around, he's the guru for these things. Really the only thing you may have to adjust to in the club is the difference in torque - the Tech12s, awesome as they are, pale in comparison to the finger-shredding torque put out by the superOEM units. Unless your set is nothing but scratching, you should be fine. I jump back and forth between Techs and 150s/PDX-2000s/TTXs without having to relearn anything.

6. djmgj

djmgj NI Product Owner

i been banging on my stanton t120s HARD for the past 4+ years without a single problem. ive even dropped one face down waist high and all it did was scratch up the motor on/off button and loosened the tonearm which was a very easy fix.

feel comfortable with the purchase, stanton t.120/150s are bang on decks!

7. JamesG_Tf

JamesG_Tf Forum Member

I've got STR8150's and have had them for approx 6+ years, they are incredible turntables to use but are starting to go a little faulty now (start button issues, slightly random motor behaviour..) and aren't as easy to service as Tech's, they also don't stand the test of time as well as Tech's. Mine look quite shabby despite not having seen much action outside of the house; buttons aren't the best quality, body finish is a bit cheap etc. They are however shockingly heavy with a robust chassis, but I find the arm mech and pitch slider is not as high quality as Tech's.

I decided to buy a pair of 1210 mk5g's a few months back, haven't had a pair of Tech's since my old mk2's 7 years ago. Anyway, when I went back to using Tech's I suddenly realised (IMO) how totally crap they were to mix with compared to the Stanton's - **** pitch stability and almost impossible to adjust the platter speed using the side of the platter or the centre pin (which is how I mix), you have to be so much lighter fingered to be able to mix smoothly and even when you are the pitch goes all over the place, in fact I have gone back to my old method of feathering the pitch to get the right speed and making as minimal contact with the platter as possible. They do look nice however and have the usually overall Tech build quality. Some genuinely decent improvements over the old mk2/3's.

My kingdom for a turntable that has the best elements of the 1210 and STR8150! :))))

There are other turntables that use the same basis of parts as the STR8150's - Reloop still make them I think and Citronic also do them but neither have as heavy a chassis as the Stanton's.

The only other option are the Vestax PDX3000 mk1/2's which have the same bad ass torque levels but unfortunately suffer from a slightly plasticky upper body finish and (IMO) a bit of a cluttered design - good general build quality though and v. good arm mech I have to say.

Good Luck!

8. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

I got to play on some STR8-150s at Stanton's product demo at the Winter Music Conference. I was absolutely surprised and impressed by the build quality! They're heavy and solid. But the most notable part, to me, was the tonearm mechanism. Just by tapping it, you could feel how strong and solid it was. And I wasn't able to make the needle jump at all. Technics tonearm mechanisms feel rather fragile. As for actual playback and control, though, I didn't get enough playtime on them to ascertain any differences, but I still feel that Technics will always end up being more precise. Good luck!

9. soundvision909

soundvision909 New Member

That is the one upside of the nudge function of Traktor Scratch. Instead of having the quartz battle you in the pitch realm, you can make the adjustment on your computer or set it as a midi control a mixer that supports it. I started on Str8 80s and they were great until I could afford 1210s. You should be fine as long as you aren't beating the hell out of them.

10. JamesG_Tf

JamesG_Tf Forum Member

Sorry but your comment about the precision thing - you really haven't actually played on the Stantons if you say that.....it is pretty much fact that these are LEAGUES ahead of the Technics in the precision stakes - REALLY! Every DJ that played on my Stantons commented on this within just minutes of using them, I can't emphasise this enough! Sorry, rant over, but credit where credit's due.

11. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Well I did say "I didn't get enough playtime on them to ascertain any differences". And I also said that I felt that Technics will always end up being more precise. Not making any claims here, I just thought my words adequately expressed what my feelings and limited experience with those decks were. :cool:

12. Wyley

Wyley NI Product Owner

I have a pair of ST8150s and all I can say is that they're GR8 :)

You can't go wrong buying a pair.

13. JamesG_Tf

JamesG_Tf Forum Member

:) sorry, wasn't having a go! I urge you to check out properly, probably one of the industry's best kept turntable secrets, DJ's are generally quite ignorant to anything but Technics, this is a shame.

Peace and hair grease.

14. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

I love hair grease! 'Tsall good. I hear ya on the DJs being ignorant on brands thing. I told this DJ here about my totally sweet new Denon DN-X1600, and he was all like "Nothing but Pioneer. If it's not Pioneer it's crap. I wanna make love to Pioneer mixers..." But nobody likes him :p

15. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Not even the pioneer mixers. :D :D :D

16. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

Pioneers sound horrible. Period. Do an AB against any A&H - big difference.

Best sounding mixer I have ever heard is still Stanton VRM-10 (tubes)
    Shame it weighs a ton! Collecting dust @ the studio...

http://www.djresource.eu/Gearbase/gear/36/Stanton-VRM-10/

17. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

^^ Does your business plan include spamming on forums? Sounds like a winner!

18. djmgj

djmgj NI Product Owner

online business? come on now...i cant sell drugs online!

19. Marc_Tf

Marc_Tf NI Product Owner

Perhaps he meant one line business. ;)

20. JamesG_Tf

JamesG_Tf Forum Member

Pioneer's do sound horrible IMO, A&H's are an improvement but Formula Sound beat A&H's hands down for sound quality, they are superb, hence me buying one! :) haha.

Never got chance to hear the VRM-10, I guess it's on a similar tip to the A&H V6?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.