Steinberg UR22 audio interface with GR5

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by DFreeman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. DFreeman

DFreeman Forum Member

I got my Steinberg UR22 audio interface today. I wanted to see if I could get lower latency. With Rig Kontrol 3 I was getting about 11.5 ms total latency at 48000 and 32 samples. With the UR22 I get about 5.8 at 48000 with 32 samples. My Steinberg MR816x which is a rack unit with firewire gets about 3.2 ms. The UR22 may be slower because it is USB 2.0. Anyhow, it is a small 2 channels in and 2 out. I take the two out and run them to the right an left channels of my Fishman SA220. It sounds about the same as the Rig Kontrol 3, and probably a bit better. Hard to AB them without lots of lag time. I will try an AB by recording both to my Boomerang looper and see if I can tell a difference. Seems like a good unit for $149.

2. wblackledg

wblackledg NI Product Owner

yeah, I'm really suprised companies haven't switched to USB 3.0. its backwards compatible, and MUCH faster.

3. DFreeman

DFreeman Forum Member

This has been very interesting. My first comparison between the RigKontrol 3 as audio interface and the R22 was that they were about the same. Now that I have worked with it a bit more, I think that there is much more of a difference than I first thought. The primary difference is in the higher amount of gain that the UR22 produces. Both the RK3 and the UR22 have input level controls, but the range of gain available on the UR 22 is much more than the RK3. I had to rework all of my GR5 favorite patches to lower the gain to avoid background hiss. I also plugged in the "noise reduction" on every patch that I use (not the "noise gate"). Now the patches are very quiet when not playing but also more saturated when playing. The other thing that I did was to plug my guitar directly into my Jangle Box (sustainer/compressor) pedal before the UR22. This added to the gain that I am dealing with but also increases the saturation of the sounds.

4. Left Hand Shake

Left Hand Shake New Member

How do I hock up my Maschine to a R22 audio interface and run to my PA syatem?