1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Steps for a remix set.

Discussion in 'KONTROL F1' started by zephry, Mar 4, 2013.

1. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

After a lot of questions and peoples troubles here is what works for me and some reasons why...

I keep my sample folder easy to access and never have my saved remix sets using the samples in it. By doing the steps below.

Before a sample is played(saved) from the loop recorder you need to rename it in the remix deck. It will then be saved as that name and not the generic "loop recorder datexxxxxxx?" name. Much easier to sort in the folder and see in the deck.
    If you play before renaming you will not write the name to the file. It will only display the name in the deck. Weird but true.

1. record or use deck loop.
    2. drag to slot
    3. rename
    4. play 3x to save (autosave enabled in preferences)(Also set to loop!)
    5. do same steps until remix set work is done
    6. Rename whole set(if you haven't yet)
    7. save set or save and overwrite (if work in progress)
    8. check the set in browser tree and make sure samples saved are correct(when in remix sets in main browser window click the name in the tree it will show all samples)
    9. export set I use an ext hd for this
    10. Clear remix deck... by switching to track or live deck and back to remix deck. You will notice switching back the set flickers and clears. I am not sure why but the info is held until the switch back? And is holding the samples as active. Step 11 works best if the deck is cleared.
    10.5 edit as of newer versions this doesn't seem to be necessary.
    11. delete the saved remix set (after export!) and select delete unused samples from harddrive also. This will clear the sample folder of the files.
    11.5 Step 11 also has changed after updates, what I mainly do now is delete the Remix set (After Export!) Then also find the set if it was previously saved in the Content Import Folder and delete that as well. The main purpose is to remove any links or data for the set as it will be replaced with the exported file.
    12. import the trak file this will put all samples in the content import folder with the remix set and will no longer use them from the sample folder or anywhere else on the hard drive.
    Also this .trak file (remix set) is now easily saved on a backup or shared.

Sounds like a lot of work. But just try these exact steps and you will have working (named) samples and a sample folder not cluttered or if you choose to keep any samples at least named instead of "loop recorderdatetimexxx".

Hope this helps... Anyone with ? I will be happy to explain this more.

oh one more thing. When using effects with the track and loop recorder. You need to use "insert" not "post-fader". The loop recorder will not record the effect with the post fader enabled on effects. As of version 2.6. Have not tested this in version 2.6.1.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KLH

KLH NI Product Owner

I'm glad you wrote this up. I was wondering how to accomplish this very thing.

-KLH

3. djenzyme

djenzyme NI Product Owner

This is a great write up! Thanks for this, I haven't bothered using my f1 much because I hate having a load of samples cluttering up my Traktor library. It always seemed like a big mess for little result. I'm going to try some stuff out tomorrow :D

4. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

5. pgTripz

pgTripz New Member

Thanks for linking me to this from my original thread zephry, it has really helped me out. One issue I am having after following the steps you
    outline above is that when I re-import the remix set ( using import traktor pak in the browser tree ) the samples are all present and correct in the browser , but are not loaded into the slots, i.e. the remix set is empty when I load it . Am I still missing something? Apologies if it is something obvious!

6. tmccoy

tmccoy Forum Member

Are you loading the remix set from the topmost All Remix Sets browser folder? Make sure you are loading the set into the remix deck. Otherwise you might not have saved the remix set properly.

7. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

If the remix set you are working on or have loaded in Traktor has all the samples and colors, etc. Then it is saved. Then exported. And the other steps followed. Clear the deck, delete the set from collection, (go to the Content Import Folder) and delete the same named set. (If it shows in the folder yet).

Then is when you re-import the exported set.
    My suggestion is to try my steps on maybe a one page new set and get the feel of how Traktor is saving and working with the files.

An explanation is that Traktor links to the samples were they are when you make the set.

So a loop recorded sample is playing but not saved in the sample directory until played 3times. But also not in the Content Import Folder. It will not show up if deleted from samples (Samples Directory) or not played 3times. And this link is permanent until an export is done and the Content Import folder set deleted and re-imported. And the name of the file is permanent after being played also.

A loop grabbed from a track works this same way.

A loop from a file folder like a Beatport bought loop. Is similar behaviour, but it is linked to the folder it is in not the sample folder (default). That the loop recorder or grabbed loops is in.
    Even though you have a Content Import Folder with all the sets and everything looking good, files are all over the place.

So my method is to export then clear all the (linked) information and then re-import.

I hope this is a bit clearer for why and how it's done.
    It would be nice if when closing Traktor it would save correctly. But my guess is the reason it works this way was, people would think Traktor was hanging on shutdown. And Saving to be quick and not look as if hanging.

8. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Oh also I should mention at the beginning of making a set to change the default bpm of 120 to what you want or are mainly working with.
    I'm not totally sure what impact it has but my guess is cpu strain.

9. mhf9

mhf9 Forum Member

this is a great post zephry :) i look forward to using these tips soon...i hate to keep saying it but this fourm and its ppl are just the best :D

10. Old_School

Old_School Forum Member

Probably worth noting that if the samples are rather raw (unprocessed kick drum for example) you might want to throw them in a DAW and add a compressor and/or saturator and/or EQ, etc. Raw drum samples lack the same energy as mastered tracks.

11. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

Yep the right (working samples) is a whole big can of worms to dig into.
    Just grabbing samples of tracks and even various packs can be a bad mix.
    In general using the EQ is a must. And having the filters on the f1 helps.
    But yes most my best samples are tweaked in Ableton first.
    Many samples free and purchased I have found need the start points and other editing done.
    In general sample mixing is easy to overdue especially if mixing along side a full track.

12. naturemike

naturemike New Member

Hello Zephry,

Thanks for all of the info. I'm following your steps for importing my remix sets that i just exported. Everything seems to work out fine except my files don't appear in the content import folder like the free remix sets that I downloaded from Traktor's website. Any insight on why this might be happening? I've importrf by right clicking on the track collection and by dragging and dropping. I've had the same results both times.

Thanks!

13. naturemike

naturemike New Member

Is it possible to use the same technique that you mentioned above, but instead of using the loop recorder or looped track, pull samples from an already created remix set?

14. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

A couple of things could be happening.
    The created set needs all the samples played at least 3x to make them save (by this I mean any loop dragged from a track deck or any loop dragged from the looprecorder).
    I usually have the layout set so I can see the status bar at the bottom and only one set of decks maximized, this allows you to see a blue bar flash across the bottom when the sample is played (i usually just push rapidly) 3x.
    Those samples will actually be saved to the Traktor samples folder.

Other samples dragged from the browser will be analyzed quickly and in the folders they came from .

So knowing this, a "saved" remix set has files everywhere. Once you export it, the files and info are saved in a trak. file. But not yet changed (consolidated) in the Content Import Folder.

So once you know for sure all the samples have been properly added to a set and the set is exported. Go to the Remix set in the browser and delete it (all I do is delete, not the other options of delete original files...) Oh also make sure any decks with content of the set is emptied (remix sets and tracks).
    Then delete the actual remix set folder from the Content Import Folder.
    Then import the saved trac. file. Remix set.
    To import right-click the collection tab and choose import trac. file.
    You cannot drag them in.

To answer the other question, yes you can create remix sets from the Content Import Folder, remix set folders.
    All of the samples will be available in them.
    As well you can just drag from set to set, just make sure you don't save the butchered set if you like it the way it is.
    You will still need to export and use the above import process to have a perfect saved remix set. The samples shouldn't need played 3x to save though, that only applies to loops dragged in from deck or looprecorder.

This process seems confusing but just try it on a new set with a few samples and you will get the hang of it in no time.

I usually don't import a set and do the whole deleting steps often.
    but I do export often, sometimes even just as a work in progress backup. I save to an external hard drive, and only keep my perfect full sets fully imported.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  15. Will Day

Will Day New Member

Hi Zephry
    Can you help me? I can't seem to get a custom remix set to save.
    I've done everything as you have described and followed the manual.
    Also I can't import remix sets that I've downloaded from the NI site.
    Says there are wav files missing.
    Although I can play and see the remix sets that come with the installation of Traktor.

I've started another thread... could you check it out please?
    https://www.native-instruments.com/...ot-saving-samples-created-from-tracks.265297/

16. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

For saving your own the main issue is usually that the sample or samples you have in the new set is not actually saved yet.
    Make sure that when you play 3 Times to save the sample is set to loop.
    Also I make sure I can see the bar at the bottom of the screen it will flash blue indicating that the sample is saved.
    Then do the steps above, there is an issue though.
    Since the 2.9 update any changes you make in a set even if the autosave remix set is unchecked in preference, the remix set is saved.
    Unless before loading another set you change the deck type to track or stem, etc.
    It took me a while to figure out what was happening. For example you load a remix set change and make changes but don't like them. So then decide to reload that set to get a fresh start the original is now gone, unless you re-import it from the exported or downloaded file. This is also true for dragging samples from one set to another. It will save the picked over set as is, unless before closing you switch the deck type.
    As for remix sets from NI missing samples, try redownloading, but first delete from collection, and delete from the content import folder. Then import the trak. file again.

For any missing files the saving and the content import folder should show all files when done as the steps above.

Try making a test set with only a few samples and export then import.
    It's complicated I have no idea why they did it this way.

17. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

Thanks for starting this thread, zephry. Unfortunately, I think I found it too late. When upgrading to Traktor 2.10.0.13 I had to clear my Collection because of errors. I knew I had to re-import my Playlists, which went OK because I had exported them beforehand. But then when I went to All Remix Sets, the list was empty even though all the files were all there, in the ContentImport folder, and could be loaded and played, the Remix Sets are nowhere to be found
    I re-downloaded the NI stock Remix Sets and re-imported them, but my other remix sets (custom and from Beatport, etc.) don't show up. I didn't know you had to save the .trak files after the set has been imported into Traktor! I don't remember seeing anything about that in the manual, and it's a waste of disk space to have to save two copies of everything that goes in a Remix Deck if that's the case.
    I'm going to try opening an old Collection and see if I can access and export that orphaned Remix Sets from there, but I had problems with the old Collection files and plus I relocated my music library since then so the chances are not good.

18. Chris Hiles

Chris Hiles New Member

I've been searching for hours for a solution, followed everything in the advice and it still didn't work! Then I saw what was missing in your reply:
    "The sample has to be set to loop"
    If it is set to "loop" and played 3 times it saves ok. If it is set toi "one-shot" or not played 3 times, the whole set doesn't save.
    This is absolutely ridiculous from NI.
    Thank you so much for the help.

19. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

I did some edits to my steps since the post is 3yrs old now.
    Anyone having issues with oneshots saving? Switch to loop and play 3 times.
    Using an S8 or controller to make sets? I suggest using the laptop as well and making sure samples actually save before saving the whole set.
    Be patient, try my steps on a small set of samples and get to know your Content Import Folder very well.
    The F1 works best for everything. And is not too pricey.
    The latest version Traktor as of Aug 2016 saves properly when editing.
    There has been a bug since Stems was implemented in which any editing was saved when changing Remix set or switching deck type.
    If you still have that bug(change the name of the set when editing, just an extra letter added will stop any auto update bug).
    Auto Update is also selectable in preferences, so make sure that is set the way you prefer.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  20. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

Thank you for the update on this. I wish NI would fix this issue so that we could just choose "Save Remix Set (As...)" and have it save the data properly regardless of where the original sample data is.
    I'm still not sure I understand the "big picture" here. Could you tell me if I've got this correct?

Basically, the workflow is to have master copies of your remix sets as .trak files (either downloaded as .trak or exported using the 12-step system) saved somewhere easy to find, but probably not in My Music. These files can easily by imported to Traktor, which will then make it's own working copy of the data in the Content Import folder, but with only the sample audio accessible and no way to restore the remix set itself if you loose your Collection - which is why you need to export .trak files as masters. Autosaved changes to remix sets are made to the Content Import folder (and the invisible/inaccessible metadata), so when you want to save a permanent change, you need to re-export a new master copy of the set to your manually created Remix Set folder.