String library recommendation?

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by webhunter, Nov 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webhunter

webhunter NI Product Owner

Can anyone recommend a good string library which will work in Kompakt? I am looking for smooth, bowed orchestra string sounds. Something like Reason's Orkester bank.

Anyone?

Regards,
    Tormod

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

IMHO, Reason's Orkester bank is rather basic. Doesn't even compare to Roland's stock orchestral sounds which are several years old now.

There are a ton of new string libraries coming out that are worth checking out. See soundsonline.com (for the East-West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra), garritan.com (for the Garritan Personal Orchestra), and the Vienna library (I don't have the URL at hand) for just three examples of some amazing new libraries that sound worlds better than older orchestral libraries and the Reason Orkester.

3. webhunter

Thank you - I'll check them all out.

Tormod

4. webhunter

Hm...my point with Reason's Orkester was not the quality (or else I'd buy Reason) - but the price.

Quantum Leap Symphonic costs more than the rest of my computer music setup... :)

Tormod

5. David Das

True, but I would argue that with Reason's Orkester, you get what you pay for. :)

Note that with the QL Symphonic Library, they are now releasing different "levels" of the library -- so there is a "lite" version for the more budget-conscious. Also if all you want is strings, you can buy the Strings library by itself.

6. webhunter

Thanks, ddas, appreciate your feedback. I do understand the value of good samples - I've just never had to shop around for strings before.

This Roland CD looks (and sounds) interesting - will it work with Kompakt? Is it the one (or taken from the one) you mentioned in your first reply?

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-094

Tormod

7. David Das

No, it's not the one I was mentioning, and no, it wouldn't work in Kompakt. It's in Roland format and Kompakt has no Roland import.

I would also mention that it's an older library and doesn't really compare to today's top of the line libraries, even though the price is a little gentler. :)

I would say that the SoundsOnline.com EWQLSO Silver Edition is a very enticing package. Not just great orchestral samples, but also a great piano in there.

8. webhunter

I see that the Silver edition of the EWQL Symphonic ORchestra comes with its own version of Kompakt - yet the product page does not mention Kompakt with one single word.

http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-161

Can this library be imported into the full version of Kompakt as well?

Tormod

9. webhunter

Sorry, what I meant was of course that it mentions that it can be imported into Kontakt, but it does not say if it can be imported into the full version of Kompakt. Can it?

Tormod

10. David Das

I'm 99% sure it will work with the full version of Kompakt, if not immediately, then with the upcoming Kompakt update (the one that will provide OS X compatibility).

The library in question includes Kompakt Player, which is identical to the regular Kompakt except that it's built only to load the bundled EWQLSO samples. So from a user's point of view, it makes very little difference. If you wanted to play your orchestral samples, you'd just open up the Kompakt Player software.

I know that NI has enabled the new version of Kontakt (1.5) to be able to load these third-party libraries, so I would assume the policy is the same for owners of the full version of Kompakt, but it doesn't really make any difference.

11. webhunter

Thank you for your help! It seems to be just what I need.

All the best,
    Tormod

12. swiharta

swiharta NI Product Owner

luckily, there are beethoven 5th symphonies for both the garriton personal orch. and for the silver and gold versions of symphonic orchestra. They all sound very good, but to me the EWQLSO versions (symphonic orchestra) are more energetic and lifelike, it may be because they are faster and more dynamic rhythmically though, but the sounds seem more lifelike too, what do others think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.