Studio One 3.5 is out...

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by mezzurias, May 30, 2017.

1. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

For Studio One users out there 3.5 came out and it's glorious. Mixer/parameter Undo, and a brand spanking new audio engine that addresses CPU usage issues. They went with a Hybrid/ASIO Guard like system so you can have very low latency performance when recording and it won;t kill your machine anymore. 50 Tracks and I'm only hitting 37% CPU on the highest Overload protection setting. They added that new Fat Channel from their mixers and it's amazing. I mean, really. They have an LA2A, and 1176, and Pultec in the channel it sounds amazing.

Anyway I wanted to post this since I had to learn about it by looking through forums. I haven't really seen any articles on any of the usual sites. I guess because Bitwig and Reason 9.5 is more exciting.

2. slyte

slyte NI Product Owner

Is it also available for the artist edition ?

3. timbonaut

timbonaut NI Product Owner

Studio One is currently one of, if not, the best DAW out there imho

• Like Like x 1
  4. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

5. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I'm a Studio One 3 user, and it just keeps getting better and better. I honestly don't know which one I like more between it and Cubase.

6. mezzurias

It's so weird I haven't seen anything online about the update. Not even on Presonus' own site yet it's been out for about a week or so. No love for Studio One on the internet?

7. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I hope my UAD plugs work better in 3.5...though I dont think UAD officially support it yet :(

8. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

mezz what did you use before studio one, and what was the thing that drew you to studio one?

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  9. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I first heard about it on Presonus youtube channel. I was sent an alert because I subscribe to their channel. I also saw it on their online forums and on KVR, but I didn't realize it until the 2nd day.

10. Samplemunch

Samplemunch New Member

I had to leave it because of MacOS issues.

11. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

I'll dump Protools if / when Studio One supports OMF & AAF.

What are those issues?

12. mezzurias

I have several DAWs, but I primarily used Logic before I used S1. What drew me to S1 was that Logic was a buggy piece of **** that Apple hadn't bothered to update in 4 years. When I upgrade to Lion the freaking some of the native plugins specifically the EQ would become impossible to use due to some UI issues with Lion and Logic's UI library. Apple never bothered to fix the issue and it was almost two years before Logic X came out and when that was first released it was a freaking tragedy. Even buggier and long standing bugs never addressed.

I jumped into Studio One after playing around with a demo (about version 2). Loved it from the get go. It' easy to use, the UI is responsive, and the Presonus team actually cares. After buying I ha da bit of remorse as at the time (and still in some aspects) it's not as feature filled as Logic, but I'll take stability and no frills over having to hover my hand over cmd-s and hope that when I re-open the project it still works.

It's not perfect by any means. S1 does some weird things sometimes and it seems that they break the focusing every other update, but at this point it's my go to DAW, over other DAWs I have and use (Logic and Ableton, Very infrequently Reason, though 9. may change that).

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. timbonaut

timbonaut NI Product Owner

@Samplemunch yeah which issues so far? Would be good to know

14. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Great update.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  15. Samplemunch

Samplemunch New Member

On Mac the CPU usage in most projects is near double compared to the same spec hardware in Windows (I could easily test side by side)
    Mac projects begin to breakdown and glitch earlier than same spec Windows.
    Graphics issues under load on Mac compared to same spec Windows.
    Hardware controllers can lose connection on MacOS, strangely the Faderport being the worst.
    All of these are confirmed by lots of users in Presonus own forum and some huge threads at KVR, Presonus reply in email and their own forum, we have had no other reports of this it is not an issue, and lock the threads with multiple reports in.
    I don't like saying any company is terrible, but these guys even banned a few users (Not me, i just sold it, no point getting stressed over this, there are better DAWs out there) over these issues.
    I personally will never buy anything by Presonus again, i had nothing but serious MacOS issues and extremely terrible support.

16. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

doesnt support OMF?.. hmm, pretty surprised at that..

17. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

Yeah, its funny how smaller, or incremental improvements go un-noticed on these DAWs, yet can contain major feature improvements.. over that last 15 months or so of monthly updates Sonar is an order of magnitude improved (so no, skins' its not your Cakewalk anymore..lol) , and when they added the mix recall back in january it got so little press.. for such a powerful function.. go figure

looks like a good update enjoy!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017