Studio One and Vintage Compressors...

Discussion in 'STUDIO FX' started by mezzurias, Dec 5, 2012.

1. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I'm having an issue with Studio One and the re-released vintage compressors, notably the VC160. I was working on an old project that I had and wanted to give the kick on the track more girth. I put the standalone VC160 on the kick track set the preset to kick and started noticing that S1's cpu usage starting going crazy. When I bypass the plugin the issue stops and I looked at S1's cpu meter and the VC160 cpu usage is highly erratic especially when the cokpressor goes "above". I put the old Guitar Rig version to see if this was maybe an issue with the project and that didn't have the issue at all. I think there is an issue with the plugins and Studio One.

2. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Is this on 2.5?

3. mezzurias

Yep. I don't know if 2.0 was affected as I never tested it.

4. litesnsirens

litesnsirens Forum Member

I had this happen with the transient master, but I think I was still on 2.07 when it happened. So I don't think the version had anything to do with it. I restarted my computer and it hasn't happened since. I just got the rest of my standalone's through email 2 days ago so I haven't tested them yet.

I will install the new plugs (VC160, VC2A and VC76) and try them out without re-starting and see if there are any issues. If there are I will re-start and try again. I will post any results either way.

5. Brotwurst

Brotwurst Forum Member

@mezzurias, at which sampling rate is this happpening?
    I haven't had any CPU spiking issues @44.1KHz by now...

6. litesnsirens

litesnsirens Forum Member

I just wanted to drop back and report that I installed the other 3 products, VC2A, VC76 and VC160. All worked perfectly off the hop in Studio One 2.5 with very low resources used. I had an instance of each one of them opened along with an instance or transient master and each one was using about 1% of my CPU resources, occasionally flickering to 2%. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

7. mezzurias

Yep. I'm at 44.1 as well. The cpu meter is still going crazy. I've tried 48 as well to see if that would work but that didn't work at all. Rebooting hasn't helped as I've rebooted several times already. The issue doesn't happen at all with any of my other DAWs (Logic and Live). Interestingly enough while writing this I decided to try using the AU version. The AU version has no issues at all. It seems there may be an issue with how Studio One is using the VST versions of the plugins? That's weird. Can anyone verify if they are using VST or AU on OSX?

@litesnsirens: Thanks for testing. Since its only affecting S1, reinstalling seems to be a bit overkill in my case but thanks all the same.