1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Subscriptions in the time of Coronavirus

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AntonA1, Mar 22, 2020.

1. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Right now, I'm grateful I don't have any music based subscriptions because...Coronavirus.
    I was one of the lucky ones who (after decades of dedicated work), was finally making a living exclusively through their music via DJing and holding events.

Now that's all gone, and we have no clue what the future holds.

Many of us asked N.I. to please not go down the subscription path; and this is exactly why.
    Of course, where there's danger, there's also opportunity. And many companies are stepping up and offering their products and subscriptions for free (temporarily).

Personally (probably like most of you on here) I've got enough VST's, softsynths, effects, and sample banks to experiment for a million lifetimes (or least until the electricity stops flowing :D). I also have about 56 days worth of non-stop music in my library.

Down the road, it might get harder. We might not have the basics, like food to eat and water. There's no making music when you're starving folks, so get going on that album you've been procrastinating on (or maybe start planning a vegetable garden?)!

But in all seriousness, how is everyone doing? Are you managing? Worried? Optimistic? Feeling distracted? Productive?

Chime in here...this is history in the making. One day we'll look back at this and say: I was there.

• Like Like x 4
  2. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

In theory all governments should be stepping in to underwrite this catastrophe and in some cases like in the UK they appear to be.....though as usual nationalising losses whilst privatising profits because we are all such luverly people.
    At the moment I think everyone is kinda of the belief that at some point this year things will return to 'normal' though what 'normal' is might have changed.
    After the second world war there was at least an acknowledgement that we were all people that had the same hopes etc but the intervening years have stripped that away to let loose the rampant venality that has taken over so we get a-holes stripping supermarket shelves to try to make sure they are OK and anglo saxon anyone else.
    I fear there may be far worse to come....................................................o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. R_E_D

R_E_D New Member

People are starting to lose their bearings left and right - threatening me to stay inside??

20200301_203612-6.jpg

Threats aside, please remember:
    • you may be able to continue work, distribute and monetize at the safety of your own studio - consider that many others may not have that luxury. Technology wise, things almost lined up for circumstances such as these.
    • chances are that content consumption will see an uptick in the coming weeks / months as people will look to diversify their collections and look up new content.
    • feeling blue or pumped or about it > write about it. No better time to be motivated, no better time to inspire others!

• Like Like x 7
  4. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I’ve got 100 cans of tuna , can someone please send me a can opener.

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I can't help wonder though if some people aren't looking too much into all this. I mean, you could also approach this as an extra choice which the companies are offering you. It's also important to realize that a subscription doesn't automatically imply that things would stop working if you don't have an Internet connection available.

Although I postponed it for a long time I finally caved and decided to get myself an Office 365 subscription. Not necessarily for Office (I already had a pro license for my main PC and laptop) but because I now have 1Tb of online storage available (this used to be 15Gb). Well, it just works.... there's not much difference with my regular perpetual license. The main difference is that I get to use Office anywhere I need it, on all devices I own. That can definitely be an advantage.

Quite frankly I'm not worried. I've seen many companies provide a subscription but that never replaced the regular licenses.

I'm not worried just stumped at some of the overly dramatic headlines which seem to be focusing more on selling sensational news rather than actually providing a detailed report on what's happening. It seems everyone knows best these days, in Holland even hospitals don't seem to follow one general plan of action. In one hospital some hospital members were diagnosed with corona and they were sent home. In another hospital however some were diagnosed and a majority had resumed work. Of course you don't know the details so you can't (nor shouldn't!) draw any conclusions from all that, but it does come across as plain out weird.

And I'm also sad at seeing so much stupidity and selfishness sometimes. I was at the store to pick up some groceries and well, the rule is to keep distance from each other. So this woman barches into a line next to me and then starts complaining about how the other people (who were already standing there!) are standing too close to her because, oh dear, corona. Can't beat that level of stupid I guess.

As for myself... doing quite well. Following the guidelines and staying indoors having a good time. 8 years ago I sold my portfolio and stopped with the stock exchange. Well, last week I decided to get back in, which I did, and these are exciting times for sure.

It's also an excellent time to spend some extra attention to learning more about Kontakt & Reaktor :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not so good and pretty worried to be honest, I too depend on live shows with my bands and DJ sets to survive, I also teach in Music schools on the side, none of that is possible right now and the bills keep coming.

The last thing on my mind right out is an alarmistic concern that somehow NI will turn into Adobe, as it stands I couldn't care any less.., I barely use 25% of KUCE12, even though I am not a plugin border I got enough stuff to last for decades.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Mr609

Mr609 NI Product Owner

I've gotta can opener...if you've got white gold..I mean toilet paper?? o_O

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. AureVoir

AureVoir NI Product Owner

doing alright. I am in IT. My job involved me going to an office where i provided remote desktop support.... so, i am able to work completely from home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Just got my Korg wavestate and paid to stay at home, loving life, hope everyone stays safe during these tough times. Waiting to hear more good news from NI about a potential daw ;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

How do you like it , I’m gonna check it out , just sold my mc707 , so got some cash to buy a new toy , was after a digitone, brought a second hand the other day on eBay but the seller cancelled the sale , but it might have been a blessing , as I’m watching a digitone keys atm .

• Like Like x 1
  13. trusampler

One of the best synths I've played with in awhile, to create sounds, you've gotta be patient some menu diving, until they release a proper editor. Lotta fun.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

It looks cool , I think I’ll still get a digitone to pair with my mc101 , my plan is to route the 101 audio thur the digitone and sequence the 101 with it , when I’m not hooked up to a computer.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. trusampler

That'd be a dope setup.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J Ser

J Ser New Member

Beautiful setup.
    is that a pancake on your KK88?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. J Ser

J Ser New Member

I will trade for 5 rolls of toilet paper.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Doing well AntonA1
    My partner and little boy are taking up my time while I'm self isolating. We are lucky enough to be able to partially work from home, so money isn't the stress it is for many.

Strange times, and you can see how different governments respond; for people, or for economy. I'm liking New Zeeland compared to here in the UK more and more, my partner's birth place...

Hopefully soon I'll be able to grab some time to make music; the kid derails my plans at the moment, although it's fun what we come up with!

Stay safe people.

• Like Like x 2
  19. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Nice looking set up! Very inspiring :)

20. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Loooool! Good one Al. I'll trade you one for 10 cans ;)