Successor of S4. Features.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Vyacheslav, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Vyacheslav

Vyacheslav New Member

It would be great if it will have better vu meters (like new Pioneer DDJ SX has).
    I also expect, that successor of Traktor Kontrol S4 will be "S4 and F1 in one" - multi-color pads would be integrated.

2. djtsmooth

djtsmooth Forum Member

I dont think they are going to have a successor to the s4 or the s2 tbh seems like they are just concentrating on add ons and not actual controllers now

3. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

while i mostly love the overall S4 concept, i would like to see the following things updated/improved:

- overall, more sturdy structure and materials.

- user replaceable parts, even though that would increase the final price slightly. replaceable fader - crossfader, eq modules, fx modules... would enlarge the controller's life, while, if properly done, relief some pressure on support. while unit exchange is a common practice nowadays and quite quick if all goes well, it certainly smells of programmed obsolescence. and cheapness. i'd gladly pay 200 extra bucks for an S4 built with the sturdiness of a vestax product.

- slightly bigger and better fx buttons. knobs are fine, but the buttons are very delicate, and are prone to be abused.

- improve usb port. it inserts very hard, and i had one broken, with normal use, no abuse.

- slightly bigger jogwheels. just slightly.

- reinforce the rca plugs holding place. sometimes when i plug them, i can see them bend inside. not good.

- provide a button to switch fx units so we can use all four as we do with decks. fx to channel assignment buttons would be required as well.

- add flux mode control and feedback.

- keep the current size and weight, as much as possible.

- change the gain knobs. i understand the current concept and its need to be as they are in regards to being relative and quickly reset if required but, in actual performance, they do not feel as 'natural' as they should. it feels like you have to turn it a lot to feel a change. maybe a sensibility adjuster would suffice.

- agreed with OP on improved vu-meters, and overall visibility on very dark environments.

- XLR outputs in addition to current jack/rca would be amazing.

- get rid of the shining plastic in the mixer section. it looks amazing the first day. however, it gets wasted very quickly, and it's a pain to keep clean.

4. malzfreund

malzfreund NI Product Owner

i agree. actually, i think NI already got this. they wanted to implement autogain into a mixer/controller and the first solution they came up with in the S4 wasn't ideal. but the implementation in traktor today and in the Z2 is much better. with autogain engaged, the interpretation of the position of the gain knob on a controller has changed to a deviation from the autogain value (as opposed to the actual gain value).

yeah. a bunch of threads exist which suggest just this. i want it, too. the fact is, though, that it's harder and harder to gain tracks. it's due to the ongoing loudness war which makes it very hard when you play both recent as well as old releases. autogain, the built-in limiter, and EQ adjustments by ear are more important than ever. i mean, i guess i'm just noting that better level meters will solve less issues than people think.

+1. i hate glossy.

5. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

damn! that's the word my mind failed to recall. :eek:

6. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

1. More stable parts
    2. Better VU Meters
    3. REV Button
    4. Key knob
    5. Auto-gain to be like the EQ
    6. Bigger Jog! (this is very important)
    7. Crossfader curve knob
    8. Bigger Pitch Fader! (this is very important)
    9. At least 10 Band EQ on Main output
    10. Separate LOAD Button for each deck
    11. Increased Pitch Control Resolution (it will not come only by the bigger pitch fader)
    12. A visual display for the pitch % change you made - like -1.35%, and to be precise by at least 0.05
    13. A visual indicator inside the jog, that is rotating the same as CDJ2000.

7. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

you've hit the nail here, that's concretely the issue i suffer. i mix a lot of differently mastered stuff. i don't use the s4 vu-meters at all, since with just 5 leds of 'definition' one hardly sees any difference. i foresee when a track will need a raise in volume much better by looking at the stripe and seeing its 'dynamics' than through anything else right now.

i'd rather like to see this increase in "vu-meter definition" on the software, by having them:

- properly colored (orange, red for peaks)
    - split from the fader
    - put all them together side by side (having them attached to the deck level, 2 for A & B, 2 for C & D is misleading)
    ---
    i like these points as well!

in addition to the 7th, fader curve would also be handy.

8. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

I just added 12 - Visual Display For Tempo Change in % by the pitch fader. I think if NI do this, this will be the perfect controller!
    And 13 - something that I don't use, but it's handy. :)

9. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

Yes, I agree the VU meters should be 4, next to each other :)
    And they need 4 colors - green, yellow, orange and red.

I imagine this exactly in the middle, just below the MASTER volume.

10. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

in this sense, i really liked deckadance2's approach, being the center area between the decks more like a real mixer:

http://static1.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DD2_Full2.png

...instead of traktor's approach that is like having 2 split mixers when using 4 decks.

i couldn't find a picture of deckadance2's mixer when having a 2 deck layout, i'm curious.

11. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

wow, that's much better actually
    even better if all 4 vu meters are next to each other :)
    + delay option for the peaks (in miliseconds)

12. danstephen

danstephen NI Product Owner

BEFORE I SAY THIS , please can someone in the 'KNOW' private message me give a hint whether a controller will be released before may 20th as I won't get chance to buy one after then as I'll be DJing abroad on a poor DDJ SX into Traktor!

1. 8 big drum machine style hot cues

2. option to input decent mic easily whilst being able to mangle and loop in with fx

3. flux mode

4. decent spin back and better scratching

13. ServeSwaggerSurf

ServeSwaggerSurf Forum Member

I've had the Traktor S4 for two years now and have no real issue with it except that the build is sub-par. The RCA's in the back have failed and I sent them back through warranty and another time the cross fader stopped working and had to be sent back again. Other than that, functionality is great.

I guess one thing that I would want on the new controller is the ability to use it as a 4-channel multi-track recorder which would be awesome for DAW integration.

14. Dysfunk DJ

Dysfunk DJ NI Product Owner

Iv had mine for just over a year. Only thing I want now or in near future is better remix deck integration and a booth output. Other wise its tip top.

15. Ricky Woofer

Ricky Woofer Account Suspended

I want jogwheels like the Denon DN-SC3900

Will never happen tho :( but i would love it and im sure others would do to if they come from vinyl and have played with the Denons once....

16. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

12. Dedicated Pitch Range Select Button

17. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

13. +-88.88% indication of how much you changed the pitch %. This needs to be on the unit. It's not very cool to have to watch the laptop screen all the time. Button to switch it to see the BPM, or the Pitch%. This can be exactly over the Pitch Control.
    ---
    14. Balanced Master Output. Recording RCI Output.
    15. Master EQ + Pan (Left, Right). Also Mono On/Off selector for the master (L+R).
    ---
    16. Gain should not be like this, it should be like the EQ knobs, with begin and end, not rotate it forever, and wonder where you are all the time.
    17. Bigger jog with some indication to get a feel how fast it "rotates" like the cdj.
    18. EQ knobs push function - for temporary kill. Or shift + Push - permanent kill.
    19. Indication when EQ is killed, Indication when Filter is active, different colors for Hi and Low. It's not easy to see where the knobs positions are in the dark.
    ---
    20. RCI Outs, so you can use the s4 mk2, as a Audio NI6. If for some reason you want to use it like this, with external mixer, and timecode vinyls for example.
    21. Crossfader Curve on the unit, Volume Fader Curve on the unit. Crossfader should be more scratch friendly.

Well, anything that can help for this goal: When you load a track in the deck, YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE THE LAPTOP SCREEN ANYMORE. That is what will be perfect. In other words, the only time you need to watch the screen, is when you wonder what should be the next track.

18. mindarelus1

mindarelus1 Forum Member

22. End of track indication.
    23. Rewind (Search forward and backward) -> and <- buttons, like on every CD player.
    24. Overall improvement of the sound quality.

Another goal: Make it, completely substitute a normal setup for CD and a mixer. Some people just want to feel, they work like with a normal CDJs and a normal mixer.

19. Ricky Woofer

Ricky Woofer Account Suspended

Small question, how long do you have youre S4 ?
    I really dont understand youre points....

20. NReek

NReek NI Product Owner

That's what pioneer's already doing, perpetuating that old layout. At some points, like layout symmetry, i prefer NI's will to move forward instead of being stuck in the past.

Whenever it's for a good reason and represents an improvement in terms of efficiency, user friendliness, and/or workflow improvements.