1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for browser

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Almaz, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

alec.tron
    Thanks for the suggestions, I added your message to point 14.2

2. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Read point 15.2 about Performance Playlist. Perhaps this is what would fix this inconvenience with large playlists?

3. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Add the ability to turn off the browser highlighting depending on the color, someone may not like this design solution, it would be nice to have a choice

4. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Improvement for Mix Creator
    It happens that I want to make sure to use 4-5 tracks in my mix, the rest of the tracks are not so important and have an auxiliary function. I would like to be able to arrange these tracks on the timeline, and with the help of Mix Creator and criteria tell Traktor:
    Hey, Traktor, give me please combination of 3 tracks from my collection between tracks 34 and 21 with
    Energy: Mid
    Bpm: 120-130
    Genre: Melodic Techno
    Mood: Seriosly
    Raiting: 1-3

That is, I want to see the combinations of tracks that I have in the library, which will help me get to my top 5 tracks.

This method should work in mixed mode, that is, rely on
    1. The function of matching tracks (main criteria)
    2. Track filter (additional criteries)
    upload_2020-10-2_7-31-44.png

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  5. Tüftel-Music

Tüftel-Music New Member

Hi,
    Just loaded 3.4 and checked the smartlist-feature. I think one big thing is missing here:

A smartlist search-condition for "Only search in this playlist(s)"
    or/and
    A smartlist search-condition for "Only search in this folder(s)"

Especially for people, who have a lot of "trash" in their collections and sort the "usefull" tracks in playlists. Or those, who sort event-based or mood-based and want to use the smartlist-feature only on a certain amount of pre-selected songs.

I haven't found a suggestion like this, so maybe it would be a thing?

6. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Hi,
    this can be done in another way, the parameter by which you put the tracks in the folder, you can write this information in the tags of these files in one column and then instead of the folder, create a smart playlist. It will take a couple of minutes as you can select all the tracks and rename the entire column at once.

7. Tüftel-Music

Tüftel-Music New Member

Hope, I understand that workaround right: So I have to write something like "Disco Tracks 80s" (like I used before as the Playlist-Name) into the comment-slot of every file in this list, to sort it afterwards via the smartlist comment-filter?
    That workaround is not really working without a lot of manual work for me, because I already use my comment-slots for another purpose.

Or is there a Tag-Slot, that contains playlist-information I missed?

8. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

You can use columns that you usually do not use, I do not use any tags for their intended purpose, that is, at the top of the column, the traktor tag may be called "catalog N", but I write there, for example, the energy level or decades. So you can see what columns you have emptyand take this column for a year or decades
    upload_2020-10-4_19-20-47.png
    upload_2020-10-4_19-24-38.png

9. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

I updated the Performance playlist, I will write the explanations a little later, but perhaps you will understand everything from the picture.
    Enjoy :)
    05_00.png

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  10. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Why did I want to make a Performance playlist? Because I think the normal playlists where we store the tracks are not very good for performing.
    A regular playlist does not have:
    - Dividing lines
    - Ability to split the mix into parts
    - Take notes that are independent of tracks
    - See the time of different parts of the mix and the whole mix in a mixed state
    - There is no instrument that would offer us tracks from our collection well and DJs could go intuitively at any time, and not with a pre-planned mix
    - The current track is not highlighted
    - There is no convenient visual way to add tracks just in case, which will come in handy during the performance, if the situation requires it

This Performance Playlist is flexible and more advanced than a simple playlist.

The task of a regular playlist is to store music.
    The task of the Performance Playlist is to play music

Performance playlist is a handy tool for two types of DJing
    - The first type of DJing is when the DJ has planned the mix and knows what he will play in advance
    - The second type of DJing - it acts intuitively, based on the state of the room

Performance playlists can be customized for each club, venue or mix separately.

Features of Performance Playlist
    - We can divide the mix visually into several parts using thin lines
    - We can write text notes to each part or track, the column with text notes is not tied to the track line, so if DJ deletes the track, the text note will remain in the same place
    - The track that is playing in the master deck is highlighted and clearly visible in the playlist
    - Shelves can be added to the middle of the mix, pallets are the space where we can add tracks between parts just in case, that is, these tracks are not included in the main playlist, but the DJ keeps their close for a possible suitable situation
    - The DJ sees the time of each part, and also sees the time of the whole mix, the time should be counted in the mixed state. How to do it? Tie this function to the "fade in" "fade out" cues and count the time from these cues.
    - The performance playlist sees which track you are playing on the master deck and suggests other track chains. That is, the DJ will be able to deviate from his pre-prepared mix, if the situation requires it.
    If the DJ deviates from the main mix and starts playing other chains of tracks, he should see the end time of each chain (orange time), when he assures this circle. This is for better control over the mix. Also in this tool, he can set the number of tracks that the Traktor will expose to him.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  11. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Tool for quick tagging
    I would like to suggest a new tag filling mechanic. Now in Traktor, a DJ has to hand-write each tag, as a rule, these are 5-7-10 fields for each track, all track parameters are predefined. That is, a DJ rarely adds something to a track separately. All parameters and characteristics of the track, such as mood, energy, genres and other parameters are predefined. So, I would like to suggest making a side menu or somewhere else where we can select a track and just click on the desired parameters. A similar technique works in rekordbox and sidebar for personal tags, but this can be done for absolutely all tags.

Imagine that all tags, which we have in the track, we have an expanded view in the side menu. We only need to select a track and click on the corresponding tags on the side to mark this or that parameter in the track.
    upload_2020-10-11_13-41-47.png

this will allow you to quickly mark the track and set all the necessary parameters for it, because now the DJ has to write each word in each field separately, which quite increases his work, as I call it "empty work"

• Like Like x 1
  12. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

Almaz, amazing suggestions, but keep in mind the more complex they are, the more likely not being implemented. You remember how long it took for smart lists. For start, NI has to do the OR grouping, the separator in the grid, and the highlight playing track, dim played tracks. This will greatly improve software. As a next step I see tag related tracks (that work well together) mechanism. And if we have this, then imagine you have a smart playlist with all tracks that are related to current one - it would be perfect :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

Thanks, Flex for the explanation, I understand that much of what I am writing may remain only on this forum, but it brings comfort to me when I leave all these ideas here on the forum, after I write these proposals, I feel myself more better, since it no longer bothers my mind. To be honest, I even looked for programmers to write my own Traktor Pro 3, so I use this forum as a kind of public music diary. Thank you for your concern, in any case, we can work with what we have now, but nobody forbade us to dream? :)

14. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

Traktor still misses very important browser features. And elastic grids. Also the sound quality could be better. I don't know why I still keep working with it, probably because I'm too lazy to start all over again importing all tracks in recordbox, making loops, hot cues, playlists etc.

15. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

I think a big plus of the Traktor, these are its controllers, I think that they are a cut above the workflow than the controllers from the pioneer. the pioneer has its pluses in the form of a rekordbox, the traktor has pluses in the form of controllers and affordable prices, but weak software. I left the pioneer, of course I suffer from weaker software, but I like how the workflow is implemented in the controllers, namely (beatjump and loop)

16. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

I would like to suggest a new tag "Mixes, Places". Perhaps we could just improve the interaction with the existing tag "Mix".
    When we talk about Place or Mix, I would like to ask the following questions:
    - How many times have I played this track in this place or in this mix
    - When was the last time I played this track in this place
    - Where or when did I use this track
    - What does the mix that I played on a certain day and year looks like

That is, when we talk about the playback history of a track and the mix in general, I think it would be useful to have a convenient mechanism for viewing this detailed data. I remember watching an interview with Avelon Emerson on Youtube channel Resident Advisor, she said which stores the entire playback history of each mix, and can return to each of them

Based on the previous browser suggestions, I think the best way to implement this would be, sidebar + history
    We have a separate column where we see the number of mixes or places where this track was used.
    We also see the place of the last playback and how many times this track was used in one place or another.
    upload_2020-10-12_3-57-1.png

if we want to see more detailed data on the mix, we can click on the mix and see the history of the mix
    upload_2020-10-12_3-59-5.png

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  17. wayfinder

wayfinder NI Product Owner

check "Search in playlists" in the track's context menu, it's already implemented!

18. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

no, this feature is not implemented

19. wayfinder

wayfinder NI Product Owner

maybe you are running an old version of traktor? when i search a track in playlists, i get a spearate menu where all the playlists it's in are listed and i can double click and go to them

20. Almaz

Almaz NI Product Owner

upload_2020-10-12_10-36-46.png
    You about it? Okay, with this function we can only answer one question
    - Where did I use this track?

but we havent answers
    - How many times have I played this track in this place or in these mixes
    - When was the last time I played this track in this place
    - What does the mix that I played on a certain day and year looks like

But in general, if we manually create such playlists, for example:
    Club X 13.10.2020
    Club X 07.10.2020
    etc

it possible, I agree

my way, was to make these calculations automatic.
    I'd love to see it be like "Club Mode"
    For example, a DJ comes to Сlub X, he clicks activates the "Club mode" in Traktor "Club X", and after the end of the mix, clicks off the club mode, and the traktor itself creates folders, playlists, dates, etc., but I like to dream, in principle, I agree with you, this can be done in manual mode

• Like Like x 1