Super 8 mono legato mode

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Bob B., Jan 1, 2021.

1. Bob B.

Bob B. New Member

Hi,

I really love the sound and UI of Super 8. One thing I stumbled over is a missing mono legato mode. Currently it's not possible in Super 8 to create a monophone synth patch that doesn't retrigger the envelopes when playing legato notes. Usually there is an option for this kind of play mode in most synths. For now I can't use Super 8 for certain mono solo sounds, like flute or trumpet like sounds or any other mono legator sounds.

cheers,
    Matthias

2. Studiowaves

Studiowaves NI Product Owner

If you can open Super 8 you might be able to modify it. The ST gate I believe does not retrigger until all notes have been released. If I'm correct try swapping the normal gate with the st gate. If it works you can use the routers and have a choice between the two. Here is an example. upload_2021-4-22_3-30-38.png

3. Bob B.

Bob B. New Member

Thank you, unfortunately Super 8 is not a Reaktor instrument anymore but delivered as separate plugin.

4. Studiowaves

Awe that's too bad. But I still have an idea if your day supports chained plugins. Perhaps you can use Reaktor as a plugin above or before super 8. If super 8 responds to the midi out from Reaktor it's possible the ST gate will hold the midi notes off until all keys are released. Then you'll get your legato. I imagine some daws do and some don't. Depends on their routing. We recently made an fm synth that does legato. If your interested check the Reaktor forums under fm synth development. The program will never end up in the user library as it's all about learning and developing fm instead of subtractive synthesis. It's actually turning out quite good for what it is and your welcome to play with it and give some feedback to make it better. Although my primary interest was really in helping you out, I didn't know it was a separate plugin.

5. Bob B.

Bob B. New Member

Awesome, that's a good idea. I use Ableton Live as host and there I can use Max for Live as Midi processor. Thanks a lot.

6. Studiowaves

Hope it goes well, I also thought you could just step on the sustain pedal in mono mode during the legato. later

7. Studiowaves

Hi Bob, I started thinking about what I said and I doubt it will work because you super 8 will retrigger on any midi note on and that's why you can't legato. So ya, I was tired and that was a bad idea, Sorry, However there is one foolproof method and it will only work with the range of your pitch bend. The idea is to get reaktor send out a pitch wheel center on the first note you play. Then assign your legato notes to the pitch wheel. Naturally this has is limitation, If your legato notes jump out of the range of the pitch bend on the super 8 it won't work, but if the notes stay within the pitch bend range the yes it will work. It's no different than controlling the pitch bend wheel with midi. The only difference is the key notes define the pitch instead of a wheel.