Supreme Edition MOD (Traktor S8 Screen + Mapping MOD)

Discussion in 'KONTROL S5/ KONTROL S8' started by Aleix Jiménez, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Aleix Jiménez

Aleix Jiménez NI Product Owner

So, here is my first release of the MOD on which i've been working for a while (uncountable hours to be honest...), which includes a big amount of features mentioned below. I have to specially thank Nick Moon who has collaborated with me and has helped me to implement some of this MODS, we are both working really hard to make our mods possible, and collaborating can only take us further!.
    In my opinion, it's a very complete but in the same time clear & clean MOD. Everything in orange are future things to implement or that i'm already working on them. Also, i'm still writing and preparing everything possible to be personalizable, but as of now it's not my biggest priority as i'm trying to implement different things, but instructions and personalization will be possible on a near time!
    Don't doubt to give your feedback and of course, any help, show of gratitude, or even donations will be very appreciated!

DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION: Supreme Edition 2.0 (works with Traktor Pro 3.2)
    GITHUB LINK: SupremeEdition
    DONATIONS: paypal.me/aleixjf

(I don't do this for the money, it's a personal project from which I never expected to get any money. Still, if you have resources and want to support my work, donations will be more than appreciated!)

upload_2019-2-24_23-11-24.png
    RMX Deck.jpg
    Track + RMX Split (Track).jpg Track + RMX Split (RMX).jpg

#DISPLAY MODS

Track & Stem Deck MOD

o Sync & Master indicator
    § Sync MOD
    · Green --> Tempo & Phase Synched
    · Red --> Tempo Synched (but not Phase)
    · Grey --> Unsynched​
    o Displays Beats & Bars (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Master Beats
    · Fixed Cyan --> InternalClock is Master
    · Moving Cyan --> Deck is Master
    · Grey --> Deck is not master and InternalClock is not
    § Deck Beats
    · Green --> Beats Synched to Master
    · Red --> Beats Not Synched to Master
    · Grey --> Internal Clock is Master or Not Synched
    Phase Meter -  Perfectly Synched.jpg Phase Meter - Tempo and Phase Synched, but not BeatSynched.jpg Phase Meter - Tempo Synched, almost beat synched but not phase synched.JPG
    o Displays BPM & Tempo (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Tempo Range Colour Indicator MOD
    · Green --> Tempo < ±3%
    · Orange --> Tempo > ±3%
    · Red --> Tempo > ±10%​
    o Show FX 1-4 enabled on decks A-D
    o Displays Camelot Key (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Displays the modified Key value, instead of the original Key value (NOTE: Only if KeyLock is Active) (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Displays MixerFX of the Deck (it gets the 4 Mixer Effect Names every time that Traktor is started, if you modify a Mixer Effect from the preferences and you want to see the Mixer Effect name displayed correctly, as of now, the only solution is to restart Traktor) (HUGE THANKS AND HUGE SHOUT-OUT TO NICK MOON FOR THIS ONE, YOU CAN'T IMAGINE THE COMPLEXITY OF THIS, BUT HE DID IT!!!)
    o Displays Remaining Time
    o There's TP3 hotcue bar with hotcue names (NOTE: Only when Deck is large) (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Active Loop Indicator (different from the current Loop length //if you are on an active Loop) (meaning that the loop is active but you are not on the loop) (Customizable in Preferences TAB)

RMX Deck MOD
    o Show Current BPM
    o Quantize On --> Display Blue Circle (like in Traktor)
    o Slot Info (like in Traktor) (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Filter (+ on/off)
    § KeyLock
    § FX Send
    § Monitor (Pre-Cueing)
    § Punch

WaveForm MOD
    o Amplified the Zoom Out Range
    o Different Grid Modes (Full, Dim, Ticks & Invisible) (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Spectrum Wave Colour (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Traktor Colours
    § ErikMinekus Prime Mod Colours
    § Sydes Nexus Mod Colours
    § Supreme Mod Colours​
    o Grid Markers (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Downbeat Grid Lines --> Brighter, as in TP3 (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Multiples of 4/8/16/32 Bars Grid Lines (Phrases) -->
    Orange (Phrase Length Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    (Note that this is our first approach to this implementation, but we will look to imrpove certain things with Nick Moon)

WaveForm Stripe MOD
    o KeyLock indicator
    o The part already played of the Track gets darker (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Grid Markers on WaveForm Stripe (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Minute Markers on WaveForm Stripe (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Display remaining time on WaveForm Stripe when DeckSize = Small (Customizable in Preferences TAB)

BPM Overlay MOD

o Now it indicates what BPM you are modifying (Clock BPM, Master BPM or Deck BPM)
    o Now it indicates if Auto Master is active or not
    o Now it indicates the tempo (only if it applies) and is color coded (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Green --> Tempo < ±3%
    § Orange --> Tempo > ±3%
    § Red --> Tempo > ±10%​
    o Push Browse to activate Auto
    o BPM Message “Push BROWSE to activate Auto Master”
    o BPM Message “Hold BACK to reset to (original BPM)” (only visible if different of 0 and if possible (not Synched or Master))
    o BPM Message “You are synched to deck…”

BPM Popout - Master (Modified BPM).jpg BPM Popout - Synched.jpg

Key Overlay MOD
    o KeyLock is more visual
    o KeyLock Message “Push to activate KeyLock”
    o KeyLock Message “Hold BACK to reset to (original Key)” (only visible if different of 0)

Browser MOD
    o Track Name & Artist Display
    o Letter on Deck in which a song is Loaded in top of the Cover Art (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o BPM range colour indicator (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    § Green --> ±3% Master BPM
    § Orange --> ±7% Master BPM
    § Grey --> Out of Range​
    o KEY range colour indicator (NOTE: Only when not sorted by Key or KeyText)
    § Green --> ±1 Same Letter or ±0 A/B
    § Orange --> ±2 Same Letter
    § Grey --> Out of Range
    § Red --> not applicable due to highlighted song not having key analysed//key field filled or due to highlighted being a remix deck​
    o Display Key from the 4 Decks (Customizable in Preferences TAB)

Top & Bottom Info MOD
    o S8 BUG FIX: FX1 & FX2 Overlays are always large, even when you are on Deck C/D
    o S8 BUG FIX: Bottom Overlay Info is no longer displayed when is empty (when no RMX, no Stem, no MIDI controls, and 2 FX Units only) (ARROWS STILL ILLUMINATED)
    o Changed background colours
    o Deck medium state (splitted screen) --> Bottom Info Overlay disappears (to show better both Decks)
    o When you press the arrows to switch between the Bottom Info display, the Overlay becomes large
    o FX Overlay MOD
    § Small state --> Bottom Info Overlay displays the name of the FX
    § Large state --> Top & Bottom Info Overlay display in which Deck the FX is active
    § When you touch the on/off buttons, not just the knobs, the FX Overlay also appears
    § When you touch the FX assign (the assign arrows), not just the knobs, the FX Overlay also appears

#MAPPING MODS

Track Deck MOD
    o Shift + Play --> Keylock (Replaced on TimeCode function(?))
    o Autodesactivate Loop Active when triggering a Hotcue which is not a Loop
    o Hotcue Pads Mode --> Hotcue + Pad --> Modifies Hotcue Type

Edit Mode MOD
    o Edit Mode

§ Knob 1 --> Coarse Offset
    § Shift + Knob 1 --> Fine Offset
    § Knob 2 --> BPM
    § Shift + Knob 2 --> BPM Fine
    § Knob 3 --> Scan
    § Touch Knob 4 // Button 4 --> TAP

§ Screen Button 6 (right top square) --> AutoGrid (Analyze the track and detect again its BPM and Grid by Traktor’s method)
    § Screen Button 7 (right bottom square) --> Reset
    § Screen Button 4 (left arrow) --> Half BPM
    § Screen Button 8 (right arrow) --> Double BPM
    o Capture --> Set Grid (NOTE: Only applies if song not locked)
    o Shift + Capture --> Delete Grid (NOTE: Only applies if song not locked)

RMX Deck MOD
    o Quantize & Swing Overlay --> AutoExit after 5 seconds
    o Create a Bottom Info State for
    § editing pre-cue state of each Slot Deck
    § editing punch of each slot
    o Create a RMX Deck Edit Mode (as RMX & Sequencer Deck don’t have edit mode) (like a 2nd shift for when you are on SQCR or RMX Decks // like a virtual mode, not as a 2nd shift, will see how i implement it)
    § Press Sample Pad--> Switch between One Shot/Loop Style Sample
    § Shift + Press Sample Pad--> Delete Sample/Load Sample from browser (Browser directly opens Sample List)
    o Sequencer MOD
    § You can edit directly Beats 9-16 with Pads 5-8 when pressing shift (not just 1-4 to select the Sequencer Deck)
    § Pad LEDs have been changed so that it is more intuitive which 8 beats you are controlling when pressing shift.

Browser MOD
    o Now you can sort by Genre, Personalized Key (Key Text), Comment // Comment 2, etc. (PERSONALIZABLE --> See instructions)
    o Move Loop Encoder --> Browse through favorite lists

o Browser on Traktor S8 and on TP3 are related --> When you open Browser on S8, TP3 also opens the Browser on full-screen, and when you close it, TP3 also closes the browser on full-screen
    BPM MOD
    o Fine/Coarse BPM adjust switched for individual decks & Master
    o You can adjust individual deck BPM without needing to open the BPM Overlay (NOTE: You have to unactivate on Traktor PRO 3 settings of the S8 the option of opening Browser when touching the Browser knob)
    o If there are NO Overlays --> Hold Back --> Tempo Reset (NOTE: Only applies if deck is Master or not synched)

Key MOD
    o Fine/Coarse Key adjust switched for individual track deck

Loop Mode MOD
    o Loop Button -
    -> Enter to Loop Mode
    § Pads 1/4 --> LoopSize BeatJump (Red LED)
    § Pads 2/3
    --> Loop In & Loop Out (Green LED) (will try to implement to be able to modify easily the loop in/out position)
    § Pads 4/8
    --> 4 Beats BeatJump (Dark Orange LED)
    § Pads 6/7
    --> 1 Beat BeatJump (Light Orange LED)
    o Shift + Loop Button --> Enter to Loop Roll Mode
    § Pads 1/8 --> Loop Roll (from 4 beat loop to 1/32) (Green LEDs)

Flux MOD

o Flux Button --> Flux Active
    o Shift + Flux Button --> Reverse Play (while pressed) (
    NOTE: FLUX Mode is not Active)
    o Shift + Flux Button --> Flux Reverse Play (while pressed) (NOTE: FLUX Mode is Active)
    o Play/Pause --> Real TT Play/Pause (FLUX Mode is Active) (Don't know if possible, i would to implement this, though)
    ADDED in TP 3.0.1 S4: Authentic Turntable Stop Behaviour
    In TT Mode stopping a track via SHIFT + PLAY, stops it with natural inertia. For stopping it instantly, press PLAY.

Mixer Effects MOD
    o FX Select --> Open/Close MixerFX Overlay (AutoCloses after 5 seconds aproximately)
    § Browse Knob Turn--> Switch between the 4 mixer effects and the filter
    § Browse Knob Push--> Set the selected mixer effect to the 4 decks
    § Press Back --> Reset to Filter
    § Shift + Press Back --> Reset to Filter on all decks
    o Shift + FX Select --> Open theEffects Settings
    o Customize if you want MixerFX Overlay or Effects Settings FullScreen Overlay to open with FX Select and Shift + FX Select to do the other action (Customizable in Preferences TAB)

Other MODS
    o Independent Screen Browsers (Partially Implemented)
    o Modified Disappearance Time for Overlays
    o FX Select --> Select between 2 & 4 FX Units (Customizable in Preferences TAB)
    o Change Hotcue LEDS
    § Hotcue’s Blue to Turquoise

While working on it i've found some bugs indicated below, or at least strange behaviours of the Traktor Pro 3.1.1.
    #TP3 and S8 BUGS
    o SERIOUS TP3 BUG: If you set a cue as a loop, and then modify the hotcue type to something else, like a hotcue, a load or whatever, if you trigger that cue and the deck loop mode was Active, an “invisible” loop will be set, as if it was a “loop” cue when you trigger that hotcue. It can be solved by deleting that cue and setting it again.
    o TP3 BUG: On RMX Deck, Sample’s pitch doesn’t modify when turning the knob (Solved on TP 3.1 update)

o SERIOUS S8 BUG: On the Browser list, the function model.loadedInDeck doesn’t work properly, as it only considers that a track is Loaded in a Deck if this one has played the minimum play count time, unlike the TP3 Browser, which correctly shows to which decks a track is loaded, independently of the playing state of the track on that deck.
    o SERIOUS S8 Bug: On Edit Mode: Sometimes you can’t SCAN through the song, you get stuck where you are, you can only scan backwards, not forwards, no explanation to this but VERY ANNOYING.

o S8 BUG: Direct thru, level meters & clipping indicator S8.
    o S8 BUG: When a Deck is Playing and is Master (with Auto Master OFF), and you want to load a track on another empty deck (FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE), the first time you push Browse to load the Browser, the InternalClock becomes Master and you lose the Master on the Deck it was. (NOTE: If you push Browse on the same side, this bug doesn’t happen) (it doesn’t happen when Master is Deck A)
    o S8 BUG: FX3 & FX4 Overlays on Bottom Info are always large instead of empty, even when you only have 2 FX units. (Solved on Supreme Edition MOD)

o S8 BUG: When on Browse, if you append a track to the Preparation List, you can’t remove it. (Solved on Supreme Edition MOD, solution by Nick Moon)
    o S8 BUG: if you press shift when on browser, the preview button turns on light and after pressed, no light on the preview button (and like this many others…)

And finally, here are some minor BUGS of my mod, which i'm already aware of and need to take a closer look to solve them, sometime in the near future jaja
    # MOD BUGS

o MOD BUG: if when you open Traktor it was already sorted by Key you won’t see the Key colours until you sort by another sorting option and you get back to sorting by Key
    o MOD BUG: Sometimes Pads don’t load the LED color they should load (happens randomly to random PADS, i need to take a closer look to this one...)

o MOD BUG: if you Load a song which isn’t analysed, the Browser “””freezes””” --> it doesn’t update anymore Key range colour indicator until you restart Traktor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Niotakis

Michael Niotakis New Member

Looks good, will you be targeting anything other than S8 or know if porting to D2 is difficult?

3. Aleix Jiménez

Right now i don’t have plans for the D2 nor the S5, but i guess that portint it to them shouldn’t be specially difficult! When i’ve finished all the things that i want to finish i’ll take a lookt, but as i don’t have a D2 that really should be difficultt, because i won’t be able to debug it at all...

4. Aleix Jiménez

Okay, so here it goes version 1.1, which includes different things like:

RMX Deck MOD

o Slot Info like in Traktor
    § Filter (+ on/off)

BPM Overlay MOD
    o Now it indicates if Auto Master is active or not
    o Push Browse to activate Auto
    o BPM Message “Push BROWSE to activate Auto Master”

o BPM Message “Hold BACK to reset to (original BPM)” (only visible if different of 0 and if possible (not Synched or Master))

Key Overlay MOD
    o KeyLock Message “Hold BACK to reset to (original Key)” (only visible if different of 0)

Other MODS
    o Quantize & Swing Overlay --> AutoExit after 5 seconds

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Caleb Grayson

Caleb Grayson NI Product Owner

Hot Cues disappeared. if i hold SHIFT, i see them and if i SHIFT+PAD they delete, but i can't trigger them with PAD.

also, where are these instruction for personalizing?

(by the way, a lot of these a very cool mods. than you.)

6. Aleix Jiménez

sorry! i've already seen what caused the hotcues to disappear, it's due to i forgot to remove smth that i'm working on, which is modifying the hotcue type while pressing the hotcue button! i've already posted the updated version 1.2 wich resolves this problem!

Attached Files:

7. Aleix Jiménez

I'm workin on the instructions for personalizing it... i'll post them as soon as i have time, i hope however that the MOD can be useful as it is right now :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Caleb Grayson

it works now until i SHIFT+> or SHIFT+<, then they disappear.
    i think i was trying to activate one of your new mods as i don't normally use that button combo. restarting resets.

9. Aleix Jiménez

Sorry, can you explain better what happens and WHEN happens?
    For me it works fine now, and if i press SHIFT + the < >, which i guess that they are the screen arrows, everything keeps working okay for me!
    The sooner you answer me, the quicker it will be fixed ;) it's great to have feedback!

10. Caleb Grayson

i load a track and the Hotcues show lit on the PADS and are usable.
    i press SHIFT+>. (little square buttons on bottom of each side of the display screens on S8) and the hot cue pads un-light and don't respond to press. holding SHIFT they light again (depending on if there's a Cue set for each PAD) and i can Delete them with SHIFT+PAD.

now this doesn't happen for my STEM tracks, only normal Tracks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  11. Aleix Jiménez

Does this happen with version 1.2? Erase and replace all content from the qml file. If it still happens, try with version 1.0, and let me know!
    This issue is not happening to me, i've tried what you say but everything is fine for me!

12. Aleix Jiménez

Here there is version 1.3, which includes the following updates to the mod:

Browser MOD
    o KEY range colour indicator (if NOT sorted by key)
    § Green --> ±1 Same Letter or ±0 A/B
    § Orange --> ±2 Same Letter
    § Grey --> Out of Range
    § Red --> not applicable due to highlighted song not having key analysed//key field filled
    §
    Cyan --> not applicable due to master being the internal clock
    Browser MOD
    o Now you can sort by Genre, Personalized Key (Key Text), Comment // Comment 2, etc.
    o Move Loop Encoder --> Browse through favorite lists (Thanks to a collaboration with Nick Moon)
    o Browser on Traktor S8 and on TP3 are related --> When you open Browser on S8, TP3 also opens the Browser on full-screen, and when you close it, TP3 also closes the browser on full-screen (Thanks to a collaboration with Nick Moon)

o NOTE: If a favorite playlist which contains no playlist is selected, the screenbrowser of the s8 "freezes" (the back button becomes useless, if you press it you don't return to the main home of the browser) until you select another favorite which contains a playlist.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Caleb Grayson

ok, i'm about to test my issue out with all 4 versions, but FYI your naming scheme is confusing. i had to rename the download folders with the versions you gave as some of them are named the same.
    he's the four versions with my additions of the version number at the end. i may not have been updating to the correct one before.

Supreme Edition 1 (1.0)
    supreme 3.17 (1.1)
    supreme 3.17 (1.2)
    Supreme Edition 1 (1.3)

14. Caleb Grayson

it does NOT do it in v1.0. it DOES do it in v1.2. it does NOT do it in v1.3.

15. Caleb Grayson

it's all working wonderfully! i'd like to add some of those options. also, is there a way to edit the start point of a sample in a RMX slot?
    which, BTW, you're RMX mods are very very cool. that quick beat access with SHFT+PAD is so fast. it was kind of hard to work the original way with having to change slots using screen > amd then it loops around but through the FX3/4 and MIDI Controls which is confusing.
    Broswer = Deck Tempo. is awesome. almost feels like i have a tempo fader back!

16. Aleix Jiménez

I know, it's the first thing which i implemented and for me is with absolutely no doubt, the best MOD!!!
    However, keep in mind that so that it works you have to unactivate the option of open browser in touch of the browser encoder!
    But being able to see the BPM so big in the screen + the tempo (color coded!), and being able to modify it through the Browser encoder is with no doubt the best thing of mhy mod, in my opinion! It reallys feels a little bit like a fader, which is what i pretended, because the original way of modifying the bpm through the popout.... not very useful or practical...

17. Aleix Jiménez

Yes, i've seen it and now i know what has happenned.
    First of all, supreme 3.something is how i'm calling the multiple versions which i'm doing jeje, but this has already been modified in the 4 files so that there's only the qml folder.
    Second, when i posted version 1.2 which was supposed to fix what happened to you on version 1.1, in fsct i posted again version 1.1, not version 1.2 (hence the same name...), so it's normal that it didn't fix the issue that arose on version 1.1...
    And on version 1.3, which is an update of 1.2 where i fixed the issue, it's normal that this is not happening anymore.

;However, i've updated all 4 versions so that the archive.zip contains only the qml files, and all of them (including version 1.1) have your issue fixed! Thanks for your feedback, that was very useful to realize what has happenned!

18. Aleix Jiménez

As for this request... no idea how it should be done... in fact, is it possible to be done in Traktor? i mean, through the controller manager? if not, i don't really think that there's a way to implement it... or at least i wouldn't know how to do it :(

However, if anyone has any other suggestion, don't doubt to post it!

19. Caleb Grayson

20. Aleix Jiménez

Exactly, to implement such mods you should modify the code of the various qml files, that's the real difficulty!