Switching out kits

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ni_cad, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

Switching out kit's whilst your pattern is playing looks like a bit of a drawn out process to me or is it even possible? I don't own maschine yet but from the demo videos it looks like you have no option to preview how the newly browsed kit will sound until after you have selected it and loaded it in to your group. am I right?

If this is the case I think I'll be sticking with my sampler. this is how I like to work:

1/Start pattern.

2/scroll through all the kits.

Thats it!

This should be all you need to do to preview your sounds, it takes a fraction of a second to toggle between two kits, it should take the same amount of time to hear the result.

If this is instant then I apologies

I hope in fact that I am wrong.
    ---
    Well I'll answer this question for myself then, this is done with the previous and next buttons above the browser knob, lol you guys didn't think this one through did you? Your already doing this with the browser knob why do you have to switch to buttons when previewing in real-time?

No your browser system isn't fast, no your not gonna be improving my work flow, yes that's gonna be very annoying, sheez

2. rocadaburn

rocadaburn Forum Member

I will never ever understand one thing:
    what makes people post in forum although they don`t look forward to qualified exchange from user to user?

Your need for recognition must be beyond all bearing :cool:

If you have something better than maschine: fine, use it. be happy. and be quiet ;)

btw. there is a significant difference between browser switches and the browser knob.

3. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

No not at all, I just got borred of waiting that's all.

So tell me what is this significant difference exactly?

4. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Ah- Phil and I don't work for NI. We do this on our own time.

ew

5. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

That's cool.

OK, so seriously now, and let's do this without trading insults.

What's the difference between the browser knob and the browser previous/next buttons? Obviously the browser knob is faster and it's doing the same thing as the previous/next buttons, so why are these buttons here? they're just going to slow down workflow. no?

I can see no valid reason that you shouldn't be able to continue using the browser knob to browse your sounds. Why is this, simply because they're being previewed in realtime? It doesn't make sense to me.

6. madvibe

madvibe NI Product Owner

the difference is that with the knob you have to select what you want to to load then hit the load button. with the next/previous buttons it loads the next/previous thing in the list. next/previous are faster if you want to go through each thing in a list. the knob is faster if you want to jump to certain things in a list.

7. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

Thanks madvibe, it interests me because I'm used to working with samplers where you can just toggle kits with a knob, it is faster.

Think about it, if your already using the browser knob to find your sound, switching to an additional method of browsing is just going to slow you down. if your already previewing whilst your using the browser knob then that's faster..

Still, I'm sure I can get used to it, little hindrances like this can really disrupt your workflow though. The main selling point for this product is it's stream lined workflow, something that I'm not entirely buying just yet.

The browser looks pretty good for the most part though, I'll admit that.

8. madvibe

madvibe NI Product Owner

keep in mind that each kit you load all the sound needs to be loaded into memory. you can't preview a kit before you load it. so when your hitting the next/previous or the load button your loading a whole kit.

9. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

Interesting point, I guess this is why they've set it up this way, to save Ram.

Old e-mu samplers approache this differently, they load your bank of kit's first (this you have to wait for) but once your bank is loaded you can browse between your kits instantly, which is good thinking, it's fast where you need it to be in this respect at least.

I dunno.

10. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Then again, your E-Mu kits are using less RAM than your Maschine kits are for the most part. Plus, with your E-Mu, you have minimal RAM use by the OS. Maschine empty takes 250 MB or so- more RAM than your E-Mu had.

ew

11. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

That's true.

I guess this is where hardware has it's advantages, perhaps it would have been better to fit Maschine with it's own harddrive and processor, then the only impact on the pc would have been the Maschines GUI.

I'll be honnest with you guy's, I'm really only interested in Maschines sample library and it browser functions, software wise my Daw does just fine, for trigger pads I use a 256. Given this I wonder if Maschine is really for me?

I might be better off buying a library or even an mpc or something, I was initially just looking for kit to handle and organise my percussion/drums better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

12. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Go and find a store near you that has Maschine set up. You're the only one who can make that decision.

ew

13. ni_cad

ni_cad New Member

LOL, OK but I'm still gonna come back and pester you guy's.

I wonder what bugs it'll come with? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.