1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

switching over during sets

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by jeromerelease, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeromerelease

jeromerelease Forum Member

so i was at a club last night doing my sound check. only 2 cdj1000s there & i was playing the middle set in the night.

we couldnt figure out how to switch from TS mode (which i was using) to just regular cdj mode (which the other 2 djs were using). so instead, i had to go behind the mixer, disconnect wires & connect them to TS, & then do it again after my set to have them go back to being standard cdjs.

now from what i understand, torq has a knob which allows u to go back & forth from the soundcard box without fussing with the wires.

does TS do this? can i use the mixer line cables & switch back & forth without having to change the wiring mid set?

thx

j

2. progen

progen NI Product Owner

There're cables on each set which say Mixer CD / TT in. Something like that. I can't remember exactly what it says on the multicore because they're at the club now but those would be the ones which sends a paralleled signal from the players.

Will be a real bitch if you don't have spare channels on your mixer though. All my partners use CDs so I'll usually take channels 2 and 3 (for fast one handed one up one down mixing) and they'll use 1 and 4. It's a little easier even if you don't have spare channels if the players have digital outputs and your mixer has digital inputs. No cable switching required. Just switch over from analog to digital when they're playing.

3. jeromerelease

i thought those were for using vinyl on TS...so if i use those instead of mixer line in, u can use both audio & TS cds on the deck at the same time?

is this correct?

4. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

the thru options on the NI Multicore will pass through whatever signal you are inputting: if you plug CD players to the input, it will pass through CD signal. If you hook up turntables to the input, it will pass through signal from the turntable. simple really.

5. jeromerelease

but does this also include both the TS cds & regular audio cds? this post above doesnt answer my question as i never use TS vinyl.

6. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

yes. it will pass through whatever you have connected to the inputs. regardless of whether the other end of the multicore is connected.

that's the whole idea: to be able to play regular vinyl from the TT or normal audio CD's (depending on what you have connected) while having TS & the Audio 8 hooked up

7. jeromerelease

thanks...ill test this out this week!

8. No Disko

No Disko Forum Member

Probably Jerome has put his Thru in an Phono input..this will result in distortion...my solution (after spending $60 on phono to line coverters :( )

Hotkey>Deck>Audio>Deck Input Select>Focus

I have assigned this to CTRL Z. If my buddy wants to play a normal audio CD on deck 2. I simply focus deck 2, hold CTRL Z (waveform will grey out), and my buddy can play a normal audio CD without switching anything. Never power down the ADJ8 or your lappie,while it will result in silence.I thought NI calls this "software thru" specially designed for 2 channel mixers with only 2 line/phono channels,but comes in handy for all mixers.
    However if you don't want to disturb your follow up & don't have to play after him,disconnect everything quickly while most CD DJ's hate those guys with soundcards & wires ! (They only forget they also will spin with it really soon :)

Good luck.
    Sander/Netherlands
    Macbook Black 2.16/Airport & Bluetooth disabled while Traktoring)
    Traktor 3.3.016

9. jeromerelease

10. jeromerelease

i tried this (using the TT cable rather than the mixer line cable) & it didnt work. i was able to play audio cds but not traktor.

is this what u meant? im still totally lost in terms of how to have both play out making switching over an easy thing to do.

11. SimonStokes

SimonStokes NI Product Owner

Hey man,

The only truly easy way to switch over is to get there before the club opens and get your multicore cables plugged in. Once that's done, it's just a case of switching the mixer's input channels to phono if someone wants to use vinyls, or line if you're using Traktor. Easy as pie! :)

Try reading the manual and ensuring that you are plugging the cables in right and you will have no problems with people who are using CDJs when you're using Traktor.

12. jeromerelease

thats not the problem. i havent seen someone use vinyl in years. i want to know how to change easily from traktor to audio cds (without messing with the cables behind the mixer).

surely NI thought about this! from what i hear, torq has a knob which allows this. what can i do? can someone answer this simple question properly?

13. SimonStokes

SimonStokes NI Product Owner

Hey man, you need to have the "Line in" multicore plugged into a line input and the "TT/CD" cable also plugged into a line input for each deck. So basically, you need four channels, or two channels with 2 line inputs on each.

The CD audio will come down the ones marked "TT/CD" and the Traktor Audio will come down the one marked "Line in".

14. jeromerelease

thanks...that makes sense. which mixers have 2 channels with 2 link inputs?

i dont think the pioneer DJM800 or allen heath do...do they? those seem to be the most common ones out there on this side.

15. epidemic001

epidemic001 Forum Member

Every mixer Ive ever came across has both a phono and line input on each channel.

16. bigbadselecta

bigbadselecta Forum Member

seems like some people really have NO clue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

can't believe it...

I'd never go into a club to dj without at least knowing how my system works and how I'll have to connect everything. :S

17. jeromerelease

this doesnt answer my question either...i asked which mixer has 2 line inputs on a channel.

18. buenputter

buenputter NI Product Owner

Dynacord M1
    has 8 line-channels and 2 of them have 2 line inputs on a channel.

19. epidemic001

epidemic001 Forum Member

unless I'm not understanding what you want properly, you dont need 2 line inputs to play analog cds.
    Connect the multicore cable upto the phono and line inputs on each channel and you will be able to play analog or timecoded CDs.
    The multicore cable isnt just for the vinyl.

20. jeromerelease

so what youre saying is, i take the TT multicore, plug it into the phono jack, & this will now play audio cds when i flick it over to phono? (& of course ill have the line in multicore jacked into the same channels line in so i can use the timecode cds).

is this correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.