1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Symphony Series Velocity Q

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by Tom Macfie, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Tom Macfie

Tom Macfie New Member

Hi, I've asked this before on other forums and watched plenty of walkthrough videos, but I am still struggling to get my head around this.

As far as I can tell, when using Symphony Series Solo, instead of using Note Velocity to control the Velocity (and musical Dynamics (p,mf,ff etc.) of a note, I'm supposed to use the Dynamics control (CC#1) (I've had plenty of "Haha use the giant knob called Dynamics lol" replies so don't waste your time!) Now this would be fine, but as far as I can tell the Dynamics control is a volume control - not a Velocity control, meaning that it only affects the output volume of the instrument, and doesn't stream different Velocity samples based on it's value.

I've tested this by automating the Dynamics to gradually change from its lowest to its highest, whilst also automating channel volume to keep the output volume constant - I can't hear any difference in the timbre of the notes at all. I understand that there's different articulations, but the volume jump when keyswitching is jarring, and I wouldn't be able to keyswitch and adjust the Dynamics control fast enough to create smooth melody lines on performance. To me this seems like a very awkward system for controlling an instruments' dynamics - especially a solo instrument.

Since this doesn't seem to be a massive problem for many other people - what am I missing? The patches sound incredible, and are a big step up from the EW stuff I've been using before (I've had plenty of problems with their Solo libraries cutting off samples during playback etc etc etc) but I just can't get my head around the workflow.

I'd much appreciate any pointers and advice!
    Thanks in advance,
    TM

2. airflamesred

airflamesred NI Product Owner

What do you want to convey with velocity, the note attack?

3. Tom Macfie

Tom Macfie New Member

Thanks for your reply. I’m trying to change the timbre and intensity of the note, as well as the attack, relative to the articulation and Note Velocity (played in from MIDI keyboard or programmed). The problem i’m having (which is only the case for the Sustain patches, I've since realised) is that when I use the Dynamics control (generally via automation) to control this, it just sounds as if the volume is being turned down, and not the instrument being played more quietly.

This doesn’t reflect the differing timbre of a Trumpet being played p or f . When using other libraries/instruments (even other articulations in Brass Solo - Staccato for example), I can play the keyboard softer or louder, or program Note Velocity, and it reflects this change. I understand that there are 3x Sustain patches covering p to f - but keyswitching these and trying to create melody lines that sound realistic (consistent relative to volume/timbre/attack etc.) is a chore to program - and nearly impossible to play. It's seems like a strange omission to not be able to control this using Note Velocity in Piano Roll (or via MIDI keyboard), so that the samples (p to f) are controlled and crossfaded according to these values - which appears to be the standard across every other library (NI or otherwise) I've encountered (including the other articulations of the same instrument).

This is where I'm stuck, as I'm struggling to establish a workflow with this great-sounding instrument. If I keyswitch articulation from Staccato to Sus, suddenly I can't control the Note Velocity via traditional means (MIDI keyboard, Piano Roll).

Appreciate you taking the time to read and reply, I'm aware that this could be one major user error.
    Cheers,
    TS

4. airflamesred

airflamesred NI Product Owner

There is a slight change in timbre via the big Button but it's eq rather than dynamic layers. I think it's passable (I have the ensembles brass) but may not be the lib for you.
    With regard to the attack, the attack slider, even at its lowest is somewhat sluggish and the tightness slider just moves the sample start and is not very realistic.
    I suspect you are looking for something this lib doesn't deliver. I had to resurrect my copy from a folder entitled 'libs I'll probably never use again '

5. Tom Macfie

Tom Macfie New Member

I guess you’re right! It’s such a shame, because the sounds are excellent and the Staccato articulations work exactly as I would expect them to.

I did some more research and Dynamic Crossfading is what I’ve been after, but apparently can cause some phasing issues in sample playback.

I found this in SoS, which may be of interest:
    234FEBF1-9394-424E-95D9-FB0CEA525142.jpeg

Thanks again for your reply,
    TS