Sync Maschine to S4, or S4 to Maschine?

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by aweeeezy, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aweeeezy

aweeeezy NI Product Owner

I posted this in the Traktor forum, but I figured maybe I should post over hear as well.

Hey guys,

So I have my S4 sending midi clock to Maschine, but I don't really like the workflow this way. I'm unable to record drum patterns because the play button won't work and I can't make drastic tempo changes because the Maschine master tempo knob doesn't respond while receiving midi clock.

Can anyone tell me if sending midi clock from Maschine to my S4 is the answer to my problems? Is it even possible? Will syncing the other direction pose any new problems?

-Alex
    ---
    never mind, i figured it out.

2. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

So, what are you trying to do, end result-wise?

If you are creating sound compositions in Maschine that you sometimes want to sync recorded digital audio to via Traktor controlled by the S4, then use Maschine to send clock and control the master tempo of your song/set.

If you're mostly playing recorded digital audio, and want to drop in drum patterns, single shot samples, or process that audio through FX plugins via Maschine, then use the S4 as the master clock/tempo.

Also, a scene with a note for 1 bar at near zero velocity will loop giving you no audio from Maschine while you prepare a new pattern, if you didn't want to go to the trouble of using the audio outputs on the S4 by routing Maschine from one sound source output to an input on the S4 (my standard way of doing this is going out from Maschine into Traktor's Deck D (set to Live Input) via my Audio 2 DJ -- if I want to both sample/process AND output from Maschine, then I will use my Presonus 1394 to route Deck C or D or the headphone output from the S4 (using the CUE control to send the audio if I do that, into the Presonus, and then the output from the Presonus into Deck D/Live input in Traktor).

3. aweeeezy

aweeeezy NI Product Owner

The attached sketch is of my current setup, only i have a midi cable running out of maschine and into the S4. I prefer to have Traktor as the slave and Maschine as the master so i can transition to and from any bpm range.

Attached Files:

4. Ben Grimm

Ben Grimm NI Product Owner

A midi cable is redundant and unnecessary if both are plugged in via USB, as the MIDI is transmitted via USB to and from the devices (technically, at the point when using either Traktor or Maschine in controller mode, rather than MIDI mode, they use HID, and skip MIDI commands altogether, the same way the CDJ-2000 does as well).

Make sure that you have Maschine's Virtual MIDI in/out turned on in the Audio/MIDI setup preferences in Maschine, and Traktor's Virtual MIDI in/out turned on in Traktor, so you will be able to see and use both in each program.

You could map tempo change increment commands to your keyboard in Traktor (I never use the keyboard commands, it may already be mapped), when it is set to Master (not Auto & Master) and everything is set to sync that you are loading up and playing. At that point, you can make quick tempo changes in small increments, or map another sets of keys to be large jumps of 10+bpm even.

I'm confused in your diagram as to where exactly the kaoss pad is being used, is it really between the master outs and the monitors? I think the better way to use it would be to send signal to it through the Firepod's insert/preamp out and line in send/return, and then use the Firepod as your master outputs for the whole setup.

To be totally honest, I'm confused as to why you're not just routing the whole thing thru your ins and outs on the Firepod. You can route eight channels, so I'd think that a couple short patch cables running between your inputs and outputs would set up your entire system just fine, plus the insert send/return to the Kaoss pad, which should let you pick any channel I think, for sending audio through that and mixing it back into the master output.

So, yeah, that is what I'd look at setting up if I were running that set of gear, for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.