1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Sync Maschine With Other Drum Software

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by DrewN, Feb 7, 2018.

1. DrewN

DrewN New Member

Here is my goal: Sync Maschine 2 Software With Other Drum Software

DAW is Studio One 3
    Maschine MK3
    Latest release of BFD3 and Maschine 2 software

Scenarios:
    1) Sync Maschine and BFD3
    - I have a large library of MIDI files for BFD3. Either packs I have purchased, or MIDI I have recorded with my e-drum kit.
    - I want to utilize the acoustic drum sounds in BFD3 and mix them with kits and/or samples from Maschine.
    - I don't want to go the route of importing the samples into BFD3, for workflow purposes, I would like to have BFD3 output midi to Maschine, or Maschine output midi to BFD3.

2) Put a standard GM Midi file in Studio One 3, on an instrument track. I would like to be able to send the same MIDI drum track/loop to both BFD3 and Maschine at the same time. Thus, editing from Studio One's piano roll.

The challenge is
    1) I have not seen a key map to match BFD3's map to Maschine, or vice-versa.
    2) BFD3 will accept my GM grooves, but I don't see a way to have Maschine match GM grooves.
    3) I don't see anywhere that Maschine can output its drag and drop midi in GM. Which would allow me to arrange drums in Maschine, and then mix with acoustic drums of BFD3.

Is there any easy way to do so? Or a way, in general to do so, regardless of ease?

I tried this past week, and I was able to get the BFD3 map locked to Maschine manually, but it didn't translate flawlessly.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. D-One

D-One Well-Known Member

1 - You can make your own by making each of the 16 pads in a group to trigger a specific midi note that will trigger the desired BFD3 sounds, whether it's hosted inside maschine or anywhere else. This will work for Maschine triggering BFD.

As far as cross-compatibility with GM+Maschine I guess you would need to make sure that each MIDI note that each pad triggers match the GM speciation, at least as far as output goes.

3. DrewN

DrewN New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply D-One.

Is there a specific utility I use to create the keymap?

Also, I assume there is no standard format to which Maschine would read, in terms of midi, because the pads, both in hardware and software, are freely assignable? So I would just drop General Midi File on the timeline, and then somehow tell Maschine how to assign each pad/sound?

And finally, Maschine's midi output is whatever sounds are assigned to each pad? So, I would just need to adhere to BFD's map?

4. D-One

D-One Well-Known Member

No problem.
    No. To make it simple to explain I'll assume you load BFD3 inside Maschine in Pad-16 for example, (i don't have BFD so ill use Abbey Road Drummer)
    Go to Pad1 Sound>OUTPUT>MIDI select Destination as Pad-16 (the one that contains your BFD plugin)
    1. Press Pad-1 repeatedly while you rotate the Transpose button until the Pad triggers the desired drum sound from BFD.
    2. Repeat Step #1 to all other 15 Pads.
    Now maschine triggers BFD3, save the project and use it as a template so you don't have to redo it every time.
    [​IMG]
    As far as GM goes I don't know, from my limited knowledge in GM every drum hit has a specific MIDI note, but you shouldn't need to worry about that if BFD can load them then just load them in it.

I would experiment... I'm guessing if you drop a GM MIDI on a Maschine Pad that contains BFD in Keyboard mode it should work. Try it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  5. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

a simple search for gm midi via google will give you the details you want, but follow the advice above, as the FUNDAMENTAL difference is that daws and drum software all use notes on a SINGLE midi channel (hits from c1-c3 etc), whereas Maschine uses 16 channels for 16 hits, all at c3.