1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

takes forever to scan plugins.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bonus Beats, May 30, 2016.

1. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

why does it take so long to scan the plugins? I might have like 35, give or take, but it seems like its taking forever. Ableton scans plugins in like a minute and if you do a "deep re-scan" then it could take a couple minutes longer but I swear Ive had 3 beers as I sit here and wait. I made the mistake of trying to remove one plugin and then do a "quick re-scan" but unfortunately it just put the brakes on the this freight train brining it to s grinding halt. i know scanning the sample library would have been a bigger mistake but com'on really? scans the vst then the AU but I swear its going for 3rd round of scanning all them again.. geez
    crying out loud I swear its taking 30 minutes + I don't remember this taking so long.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Balog

Balog NI Product Owner

3 beers in 30 minutes, Chapeau!

3. Bonus Beats

pretty much I was excited to make music last night until this.

4. Franvu

Franvu NI Product Owner

Maybe you should restrict the folders on Preferences >> Plugins >> Locations . I had a similar problema with a file .dll that it wasn't a vst.
    Cheers.

5. Eddie Jag

Eddie Jag NI Product Owner

Another annoying aspect of Maschine... Why does it scan plugins on every startup? I dont get that either

6. dabb

dabb Active Member

But it doesn't !
    Mine only rescans plugins after: 1- install/uninstall new plugin 2- if i select/deselect any plugin from preferences. Otherwise it doesnt scan.

@Bonus Beats is that same for you, does it rescan every start up?

Maybe you have a problematic VST?
    What are your OSes?

BTW Maschine starts 5-8 times slower on El capitan than 10.8 & 10.9
    Scanning plugins (when it does) is slower, too.

7. Eddie Jag

Eddie Jag NI Product Owner

I think it's a bug. That's how it's supposed to work but doesn't always work that way. I'm on Latest Mac OS

8. Bonus Beats

No not at all I was removing one random AU and did a rescan

9. dabb

dabb Active Member

youre right, removing or adding random au-vst results a very long rescan.
    But not every start up.

If i remember right it was a very old bug (2.0 or 2.1, vst scan every start up) and addressed..

10. djenzyme

djenzyme NI Product Owner

I have this problem from time to time, clicking on the scanapp icon while it is running seems to help for me. My guess is that app nap isn't disabled for the scanapp app.

11. beatlogik

beatlogik NI Product Owner

I just installed Ozone Advanced which contains something like 8 individual plugs. VST and AU versions make that 16 to scan.

Upon Maschine boot the initial scan took 15 minutes. And as I don't like having both versions in Maschine (only VST), I always de-select the AU versions in the PlugIn Preference pane. With all the plugins I have installed (Waves Mercury, SSL, Arturia, K10U, Spectrasonics), after de-selecting the AU versions of Ozone I had to rescan everything which took 2 hours.

So I'm looking at roughly 2h15 to get up and running in Maschine while Ableton and Pro Tools it's about 3 minutes.

Pretty ridiculous considering I'm on a Mac Pro Quad-core with 32 gigs of RAM

I would warmly welcome both:

- a button to use any AU plugins (not just NI versions) that can be toggled on and off (IE Ableton)
    - a better algorithm for handling the WaveShell package (Pro Tools reads it as an entire wrapper, not by individual plugins)

12. beatlogik

You're right, in "Activity Monitor" on OSX the "ScanApp" function of Maschine is stuck in AppNap during a scan.

Check this out:
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable-app-nap-mac-os-x/

Ran this terminal command and my scan times went from 2+ hours to 5 minutes.

I'm on 10.11.5 btw, but this should solve the issue for any users on OSX that has AppNapp (think it started in Yosemite?)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

13. beatlogik

To be clear, this solves the issue of the ridiculously long "Rescan"s from the preferences, initial scans for new plugins on boot is the same

14. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Regardless don't have 64 bit AND 32 bit, or VST and AU versions of exactly the same plugin in the Machine file path. Basically no dupes.

For instance I split my plugins like so:

/plugins/64bit/vst2
    /plugins/32bit/vst2
    /plugins/legacy/64bit/vst2
    /plugins/legacy/32bit/vst2

I then point maschine to /plugins/64bit/vst2 and /plugins/32bit/vst2.

Although to be honest I don't use 32 bit plugins at all (life is much more stable that way), so I just have the 64 bit folder in my case.

The worst thing to do is accept the default file paths and settings suggested when you install plugins. Always do a custom install. Know what you are installing and tell it where to go.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  15. beatlogik

Good advice, I've got my VSTs organized in folders based on developer and add only those locations in the Prefs.

For example:
    /plugins/vst/arturia
    /plugins/vst/native instruments
    etc

This way they load in Ableton nice and tidy as opposed to a big pot of everything. Logic and Pro Tools have the capability to organize by developer already.

Because Waves's Waveshell package behaves best when in the root plugin folder I also add a blanket

/plugins/vst

to Maschine's file path.

Again though, based on my earlier post ^^, it would be great to see the "Use NI Audio Units" changed to simply "Use Audio Units" so that we could easily toggle off the option for ALL AUs as opposed to having to go through and individually deselect them all. The Waves Mercury bundle, for example, has 400 components and took me over an hour to go through and de-select the AUs for use in Maschine.

16. CakeAlexS

Agreed. I do it by manufacturer as well I just simplified it.
    That's a point must check waves plugins in Maschine.

17. angakok

angakok New Member

I experience something very similar and later I noticed, that the NI updates somehow updated only the standalone .exe and failed to rewrite the old plugin files, which were causing the absurdly long VST rescans.

18. Bonus Beats

it would be way more awesome if maschine sorted the plugins by type, like filters, compressors, synths, samplers etc.I tend to have to stop and thinks about who makes what and then from there decide where that plugin ives in the drop down menu.

19. CakeAlexS

VST3 pretty much does that by default. But no support yet (it's about bloody time that happened).

20. dabb

dabb Active Member

Why dont you tag the plugins?