1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Tape Recorder Emulation

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by abluesky, Jun 28, 2018.

1. abluesky

abluesky New Member

Hi,

I’m a big fan of using tape plugins and recently came across the videos of Hainbach:

I would like to experiment with what he is does - recording into the tape machine and then playing back in halftime, and then sampling at that half time into a Sampler.

I use Toneboosters Reelbus 4, which has a recorder mode, but ostensibly no actual recording feature (and I never expected it to).

For sampling duties, I use mainly TAL Sampler and the Roland V-Synth. I also have Reason 10, but I haven’t really done a deep dive into its samplers. I also use Ableton as a Sampler. I know Reaktor has lots of samplers, but I’ve never used them.

I’ve done some research, and can’t find a plugin which actually emulates how the recorder works - recording at a high fidelity speed, and then playing at a lower fidelity speed. A developer of a very good tape plugin said it will be difficult to do:

“Plugins assume one sample in, one sample out.
    If you'd like half a sample out (in effect), there would be buffering issues at some point (half the audio needs to be buffered in memory indefinitely).”

But I thinking that TAL Sampler does something similar with vintage samplers, resampling to change the pitch.

So, I was thinking that I would like to try to develope such a tape recorder plugin in Reaktor. One that doesn’t just provide the saturation and Lo-fi effects, but also recording at one speed and then playback at another.

I was wondering what anybody thinks about the feasibility of this idea? Any experts?

Thank you for your patience reading this post.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  3. abluesky

abluesky New Member

Thank you. This is a good start. Will look into this and see if I can create an ensemble that does what I’m imaging.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

5. ZooTooK

ZooTooK NI Product Owner

Maybe not a true tape emulation but I'm still pretty happy with the lo fi tape delay sound of my Base Echo ensemble.

6. aboxclaude

aboxclaude NI Product Owner

I went the other way... I start with a well-taken sample into Wavelab or Ableton, then drag the sample into a sampler I put together in Reaktor that basically destroys the quality of the sample in ways that are very 'emotive'. I can then re-sample in Reaktor itself and re-import the file to mangle it further. But that does not mean that I am lazy...

I bought a few tape decks, a portable reel-to-reel and will also be working that way as well. I am trying to mod both the reel and the cassette deck to allow fast recording and slowing down by adding a pitch controller. Have no idea what will come of it...

7. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

8. aboxclaude

aboxclaude NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1