TECH TIP: Plugin name consolidation

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Josh @ NI, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh @ NI

Josh @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hi folks,

You might have noticed that when you right-click in a sound channel, you sometimes have a list of plugins that is poorly organized due to conflicts in naming. For example, a manufacturer might have decided to embed the company name in one of their plugins as:

Bonko Plugin Company

...whereas another plugin by the same company might be tagged as:

Bonko Plugin Company, Inc.

When you right-click to add a new instrument or effect, you will get two entries in the list for that company because they have slightly different names. You probably want all of the Bonko plugins in one directory in the menu tree, so they are all in one directory when you right-click. Fortunately this is easy to fix.

In the Browser window, select the Plugin icon (with the plug symbol on it). Then click on either VST or AudioUnits, depending on the plugin(s) you want to change, followed by the vendor name that you want to change. Select a plugin or plugin(s) on the far right, and press Edit. Now you can enter the Vendor field on the far right and re-type the proper Vendor name. When you're done, press Save. Now when you right-click in a sound channel slot, the plugins will all appear under the Vendor heading you just created (or be merged with an existing one).

Using this method you are actually free to reorganize your plugins in any way you want, not just to correct errors in naming. You may have also noticed that you can change the names of the plugins themselves, for example you could be more descriptive with plugins that have multiple flavors (stereo vs mono, 8-out vs 16-out, etc). Whatever you feel like doing to make your list of plugins more manageable.

Cheers!

2. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Josh awesome - never knew you could do this. I hate not being able to find things - some plugins have been given such weird company names (not to mention the "unknowns").

3. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

I've done it with all my plugins now and it works well though I presume I would have to redo it if plugins get updates?

You know Josh it's basic usability features like this that should be in the manual - it would have been useful to have known this from the start.

I think KORE manual is possibly it's weakest link - it really is more a guide to the GUI rather than how to use it in practice.

4. mmower

mmower NI Product Owner

Although I think the Kore 2 manual is actually a cut above many (perhaps even most) software product manuals that I have come across in recent years I do agree that it would have been useful to have a more producer oriented slant.

Maybe an addendum on 'best practices for getting the most out of Kore' could be included in a future revision (and distributed via PDF for existing users).

Regards,

Matt

5. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Any way to do this with KORE 1.1?

6. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

I agree 100%. The problem is that I'm sure there a there is a lot that I don't know I don't know (if you know what I mean). I would like to see a manual that is more of a 'how to...' than a 'this is...' After all, anyone could go through Kore and find out what each item on the GUI does but how many would guess at half the features that the GUI inadvertently hides or, rather, does not make clear (and that's not really a criticism of Kore - there's so much going on there that I would hate to be the one to have to make it clear). This is where an additional manual could come in. The existing manual is good for what it is - it simply does not go far enough in the right direction.

These tips, when they come, are a wonderful resource. Please keep them coming.

7. Josh @ NI

Kore is indeed pretty flexible, and a lot of the things you can do with it go beyond what is in the reference section of the manual. Part of this is because it's not a closed system--it is designed to integrate things like plugins in an open-ended way.

Point taken on needing more Kore "usage" cases -- I am actually working on an extension of these forums that you will all probably like ;)

8. greggybud

greggybud NI Product Owner

Very well said!

Manuals IMO have always been the weakest link with NI. You should have seen the Reaktor "manual" in 1999....what a complete joke to what was an incredibly inspiring powerful, new soft synth.

Yes video tutorials can help with the basics but with KORE2 they were released too late after several weeks and too many complaints.

Even very basic APPLICATION topics such as making a template and then importing patches would have helped. The KORE 1 manual had a few applications, but KORE2 had nothing but GUI features with a description of what it could do but not explaining HOW.

Someday NI might discover the value of good documentation, but after 10 years I'm not holding my breath.

9. m127

m127 NI Product Owner

Just a question before I go ahead with this. Thank you for the idea of course...

If I edit the properties/tags of the plugin vendors, will that be an issue when recalling sounds created with the old plugin tags? or will it be an issue when reinstalling Windows or upgrading Windows XP/Vista to 7, for example?

10. Josh @ NI

Great question. Changing the tags won't affect the recall of existing KoreSounds, meaning KoreSounds that reference that plugin will still load fine after you change that plugin's tags.

What will change is the "Vendor" field for any KoreSounds you save that use that plugin after you change the tags. If you expose the "Vendor" column in the right pane of the sound Browser, you will see that each KoreSound not only shows the names of the plugin(s) it references, but also the vendor of the plugin(s) it references. If you change the vendor name using the method described at the beginning of this thread, all KoreSounds saved thereafter with that plugin will have this new name in the vendor field.

However as mentioned above all of the KoreSounds that have the previous vendor name will still continue to load fine. You can also batch edit the sounds in question to get them all using the same vendor name if you want that extra level of tidiness!

11. m127

m127 NI Product Owner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.