TECH TIP: Re-Channelize!

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Josh @ NI, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh @ NI

Josh @ NI NI Team NI Team

Here’s a quick (and simple) feature in Kore 2 I thought I would point out for those of you that use Kore 2 in multitimbral setups.

Sometimes it can make a lot of sense to set up your sequencing host so that you have several different MIDI tracks all pointing to the same instance of Kore 2. By keeping everything in one instance, you maintain a high level of organization, you can share Aux effects among different Kore Sounds, and it makes it easy to do things like transfer sounds and their associated bussing between rigs. Kore essentially becomes a single container for all your instruments and effects.

The only downside to this is that you might run into MIDI channel madness. If you have a MIDI track in your sequencer armed to transmit on channel 4 so that it plays a specific sound channel in Kore, this means the target Kore Sound (and respective instrument) must be prepped to properly respond to messages on channel 4. There are a lot of software synthesizers out there, and the ease or difficulty of doing this varies wildly. Some instruments always respond in Omni, while others like Reaktor have a channel that is bound to the actual ensemble (in which case you will need to change the ensemble’s External MIDI menu to get it to behave in the intended manner).

Enter the MIDI Transformer. This Kore 2 MIDI effect has a Channel drop-down that will “brute force” the MIDI channel to be whatever you want it to be. You can drop it anywhere you want in your Kore Performance, and it will affect all objects downstream from it. I use this all the time because I’m lazy (lol), and I often don’t feel like opening the Reaktor GUI for example and messing with the MIDI channels. It's true, sometimes you just want to play ;)

One last thing: the actual channel drop-down menu can be assigned to one of Kore’s knobs—so you can use the knobs to change MIDI channels and you will see this on your display in real time. You can use this to dial in different sounds on the fly in a multitimbral instrument such as Kontakt (as an alternative to using the Bank object for example).

Good luck!

2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Stickied... =)

ew

3. FLaKes

FLaKes NI Product Owner

WOW! Thanks! I had just posted a thread asking how to do this. Its really not about being lazy but its a pain in the @$$ when you are prelistening a sound... It just wont work with these instruments unless they are on channel 1. Thanks!

4. loungelizard

loungelizard Forum Member

Nice tip! Thanks a bunch, I recently ran into a problem where some VSTi's wouldn't play on dedicated channels.

5. ganzgrosserjunge

ganzgrosserjunge New Member

Oh, very nice!
    I will give it a try!
    What about changing Keyranges?
    Is it also posible for each Lore Preset when changing programm?
    regards
    Michael

6. Josh @ NI

If you are talking about the key ranges on the Channel Mapping tab, those can't be changed via Kore's Performance Presets. If you need a key range to change in a performance, a possible solution would be to duplicate the channels in question, give them each different keyranges, then use the Performance Presets to enable/disable the different channels as needed. If you use the Channel Bypass switches to do this (i.e. bypass a channel by clicking on the Channel Number), there won't be an associated CPU overhead from running duplicate channels.

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Ah- wouldn't the MIDI filter module work here, Josh?

ew

8. Josh @ NI

Yes, yes it would! Thanks for pointing that out, it's probably a more elegant solution. Ew is referring to the MIDI Filter Module available by pulling up the context menu in a Sound Channel and choosing Internal MIDI --> MIDI Filter. All of the parameters on this module are represented on the module's control page, and as such can be recalled via Performance Presets. Great suggestion :)

9. harikaram

harikaram Forum Member

sweeeet

10. P

P Forum Member

Hmm this seems to be a step to have kore behave like a jv 2080 etc. . .

One issue, kore wonly responds to 1 thing at a time, ccs, on the control page. So NO recordings tweaks on the fly! How is this one solved, will these control knobs ever become channelized? As of now it makes Kore very very very very very frustrating and extrmely limited. I have to have ccs on all my stuff!

11. WayneM45

WayneM45 New Member

Thanks, Josh - I'm using Kore along with Komplete 5 and am receiving midi signals from a second computer through 5 separate midi inputs. Will this plug-in enable me to receive up to all 16 midi channels on each input - separately? So far I have not been able to do this using Kore as the "front end" to the separate "instruments" (B4, Battery, Akoustic Piano, Elektrik Piano, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.