TECH TIP: Unholy Knob of Doom

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Josh @ NI, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josh @ NI

Josh @ NI NI Team NI Team

Here’s a fun sound design technique that’s really good for preset design or real-time experimentation.

As you know, using Kore’s multi-assignment capability, you can assign a single knob on a control page to multiple parameters. Well, how about assigning it to a lot of parameters in a single instrument. No, seriously, I mean a lot. Like 15 or so parameters on a single knob…or perhaps most of the parameters in the instrument! You can then change the entire instrument’s state at once, stopping in places where you have something interesting. I’ll use Kore 2 in this example, although you can do multi-assignments on Kore 1 as well.

Click the Assign button at the top of the Kore 2 GUI, then click Learn, then click the Multi-Assign button immediately to its right. Now start going hog wild and clicking on tons of destination parameters in the instrument in question. There are two key tricks to implement in order to get really interesting stuff:

1) Assign the knob to parameters that will have both a fundamental change in the sound when moved, and will react fluidly (without jumping)—things like filter Cutoff or LFO Amount for instance.

2) You should change the Min/Max amounts and polarity in the Destinations section so that everything isn’t moving in parallel (some parameters are staying within the “sweet spot,” while others are moving in reverse). For example, in order to keep things interesting, you might want the effect Wet/Dry to increase as the pitch modulation decreases.

This isn’t just a gimmick—you’re changing the entire state of the instrument in a way that a “randomize” feature would, except that you can do it gradually. Also unlike randomize functions, you’re in precise control of which things are being changed and what their range will be. An added bonus is that this doesn’t require an overwhelming amount of CPU power since it’s only one instrument.

To give you an idea for the kinds of things this “super macro” approach can yield, here are two audio examples I did using Kore 2 and Massive. I have the knob assigned to about 15 different parameters and am turning it very slowly. The effect itself is cool, but there’s also about 5 or 6 good presets in there if I were stop at any point and save the sound. NOTE: beware the volume in these files ;)

www.native-instruments.com/TechTips/Carbon.mp3

www.native-instruments.com/TechTips/Hubschraube.mp3

Have fun!

Josh

2. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

Nice stuff thanks Josh.

3. glitchmachines

glitchmachines NI Product Owner

Thanks Josh. I've been working with Kore 2 for a few weeks now and I must say that it is an absolute dream come true. The things you can do in terms of sound design, such as what you've described here, are absolutely wicked.

4. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

Great sounds. I look forward to trying out that idea.

Thanks

5. 12string

12string NI Product Owner

How can you get several destinations?
    I show only 1 and read the PPF but unable to get two or three.

6. Josh @ NI

Josh @ NI NI Team NI Team

You have to click the Multi-Assign button or you will get only one destination. The Multi-Assign button is the pitchfork-shaped button directly to the right of the Learn button.

7. 12string

12string NI Product Owner

thanks josh, I know the multi assign but my issue is I cant get two Destinations. Do I need to hold shift select or something to get two or more destinations? What happens is selecting causes destination one to be replaced by #2.

8. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

It shouldn't- it should just add the new destination in if the multi-assign button's lit.

ew

9. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.