1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

The forum is a bit low calorie lately

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by theinvis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

the developers have been trying to catch up to the industry since maschine launched and every year they fall farther behind.

there were no innovative features introduced in the 2.0 update. the biggest improvements were multicore support, midi file support and sidechain ability. all of these features have existed in other music production softwares for a decade or longer.

i almost forgot drum synths. again, not new.

NI makes a great controller but the maschine software is somewhat pathetic when it comes to mixing, arranging, automation, fx, routing... on and on. NI's implementation of these features are very basic and once a person crosses the threshold from making beats to making songs then the stuff bundled with maschine becomes inadequate... i.e. compressors, reverbs, eq's, etc don't sound very good and need to be replaced. massive is the exception. i consider it a high quality synth. oh well just my opinion. i'm sure a lot of people will disagree.

2. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

Ha! Next you'll be telling us that any ole half an acorn could easily understand the point you're making with minimal effort... Well I beg to differ good sir:lol:

3. theinvis

You might be right but why should NI have a confounding amount of more difficulty than their peers, they're top tier after all. Burger King doesn't have trouble making hamburgers just because they allow you to decide what goes on them, and if they do face challenges it's certainly not anymore than McDonald's, Arby's, in&out, sonic burger, fat burger, islands burgers, Tommy's burgers, etc...

4. theinvis

Yes there are but they're not as good at sound design as maschine. Anyways the issue with maschine is not that it's only half a daw it's that it's only half a groovebox.

5. panten

panten New Member

Could it be that users are moving away from Maschine, due to a lot of gripes they have with the limiting software, and towards controllers that offer more in terms of taking tracks to the next level of production? There is love for Maschine but it seems to get a lot of it's users stuck in a rut; and by that I mean a bunch of loops that sit rigidly together.

6. skinsfandc

skinsfandc Forum Member

This is a cycle. Complaints about something and then when NI drop something good they all come back and praise NI lol. For those who complain for 3 years or so don't make music, but have it just sit there. Hoping the arrangement gets worked on some more but I paid a lot for the studio and am learning as much as I can. I use Studio One for my DAW. So my focus is making music.

7. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

i think you're right. it's good for sound design and simple tracks but it's too rigid and cumbersome for anything that requires precision or slick production.

i have found it to be good for producing house and techno tracks but lousy for trance and anything progressive.

i don't make hip hop or trap but i think it would be decent for those styles as well.

8. theinvis

I just gotta say that even though he's not a Mod, lethal pizzle is like the boogieman standing behind every freakin door in this haunted house with a question mark on it:D much credit is due..... thanks lethal

9. theinvis

10. panten

panten New Member

"I really don't like taking my beats outta Maschine and throwing them into Ableton (sic)"

This is the main reason I went with Push. The beats are already there, with all the Automation still intact. It's a non-destructive workflow.

11. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

So it's a good sound design tool with drumpads pretending to be more?

12. theinvis

well at this time maschine is going through allot, some folks would say that before it becomes a complete groovebox or a daw that it needs to become a complete 1.8 first, but for me going back to 1.8 wouldn't change much for me because for me the pillars of what this kind of instrument are supposed to be is the sampling/sample editing and the sequencer/midi spec and that's the bottom line but half of that line is not there. Now NI know this and I feel good about the fact that they are aware, but they are less than not urgent about it and don't really know when they are or how they are going to address it.... and that is something I'm not happy about at all. If the sequencer and midi spec is off and you're aware of it but you don't feel urgent then how aware can you really be? I don't care what you have on the table if you're product has a sequencer inside it and it's not up to snuff then that should be your priority........ obviously that's just my opinion. Now if maschines sequencing was up to par with it's sound design we wouldn't even be on cloud 9 we'd all be on cloud 99.
    back in the day people were gassed up about maschine and all you heard was how it's the future of music composition and how it's so much more state of the art than an mpc that the sequel to bladerunner is going to be scored on it etc.. but now all you hear is how we shouldn't try to make the sequencer do this or we shouldn't try to make the sequencer do that, all of a sudden software is no longer the future but something so fragile and if we ask for a dope sequencer in maschine we're gonna break it blah blah and funnily enough it's the same people that were talking all that maschine makes every other instrument on earth obsolete nonsense in the past.....suffice to say we've got a ways to go, Ni without a doubt has the chops to do it, it's always been about the will to do it with them at least in my humble opinion.

13. faint4lent

faint4lent Active Member

I'm a newcomer to this community and I'm sad to see that the common opinion is that the community is degrading.

Maschine 1.8 changed my life - I went from wanting to make music for 5 years to sitting down and making music. For lack of a better phrase "it just worked." I was making beats, deconstructing them, remixing them live, and there were so many moments where this seemed effortless. 2.0 was well worth the money, but as most people I'm disappointed by what left out (not being able to have multiple instances of maschine in standalone, function based automation, macros with universal affect, arps... etc) but I still I have great hope for Maschine 2.0. I wasn't around while maschine was going through the major updates from 1.0 - 1.8 and maybe this is foolhardy, but I hope that NI has been slow on these triage updates because they are actually working on a substantial update.

Ultimately I wish NI was more transparent about what they are planning to implement for Maschine 2.0. I think that would cause a lot of excitement and discussion in the community.

My rookie 2 cents.

14. theinvis

well if I could add another penny to that faint i'd say keep the faith. I've been using maschine since day one and they completely rewrote the last update to make the software better and to be able to better address our concerns... reportedly.
    Now all they have to do is follow through.

15. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Drugs.

16. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

Less activity on the forum is a good thing. It means not as many issues with Maschine or the software and we're all making music (hopefully good music).

17. theinvis

that's definitely a possibility, maybe the maschine 2.0.6 OS is the golden child after all ....................................or is it?

18. mattyess

mattyess New Member

I wish I had the option to use Maschine 2.0. But NI dropped support for the most stable OS audio platform ever, 10.6.8.

19. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

ya think?

maybe many of us are just waiting...pretty patiently

Im still making music, nothing with maschine v2 though

20. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

It's just the cycle that the forum tends to follow. ;)