The 'Kore Owners who have Crossgraded to Maschine' thread

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Gary_W, Jul 1, 2011.

1. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

Last post on this. All is cool.

My Mac problem was user error - my fault.

I forgot to update the Mac with the new update from Twisted Tools like I did on the PC.

So I synchronized the PC to the MAC and went through the steps for import and I got everything up and running.

Now I know both systems are running the same stuff, and random tests shows that everything is running well.

The moral for me is that the file browser IMPORT function is the do-all button. You don't need to copy files into special places or set your own user paths and rescan - just point and click (import). You can also set your bank and style tags at that point and be done with it.

The file relative associations seem to be built properly when you do your own import.

So all the Expansion packs, Transistor Rhythm, and TT01 and TT02 are set up.

By the way, Transistor Rhythms has some really high quality samples.

So Import seems to be a more powerful form of scan, or some deeper function, I don't know the real difference.

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

Import basically puts the files into your Browser - which can be accessed using the Controller - with some kind of tagging - the user chooses the tags.

if you don't import, you only have the option to look at samples using the Software.

for my tastes Transistor Punch is a great Soundpack and it also has some rather wonderful effects. i would recommend this for anyone who prefers techno to hip hop.
    if you like more commercial hip hop - which i don't personally - then Vintage Heat is for you. but yes, i much prefer Transistor Punch.

sowari

3. Gary_W

Gary_W NI Product Owner

I think Jim might be talking about this as opposed to Transistor Punch? http://www.surroundsfx.com/drums.html

Jim - can you confirm and also give a weblink for TT01 and TT02 so I can see what you're playing with?

I do like the look of Transistor Punch but I'm waiting for more details on K8; if I upgrade to it, you never know - there might be a voucher in there which might make TP squirt down the Internet in my general direction :)

4. arachnaut

Yes, I did mean Transistor Rhythm by Denis Goekdag. Transistor Punch is the baby brother of Transistor Rhythm. The Rhythm samples are 96kHz.

Both are excellent and similar.

Of course Denis made the Deep series, so it was an easy decision to make on buying it. And there is an upgrade coupon if you own Punch.

The TT01 and 02 are from Twisted Tools - http://twistedtools.com/ - of Reaktor fame. You get a great little sampler tool with maschine pad layout. I didn't realize why things were as they were when I first bought them because I had never looked at Maschine before the offer for crossgrade. I used the sampler with the QWERY keyboard and had to alter the key settings. The Reaktor keys are not in the same range as Maschine pads.

Description from the web site:

TT01: "Analogue Microcosm was designed by Richard Devine in conjunction with Twisted Tools. This Twisted Tools samplepack will include a custom Reaktor sampler called MP16, along with kits for Battery, EXS24MKII and more. "

TT02: "Elements is a special collection of massive analogue oneshots, heavily processed foley and designed sounds by legendary circuit bender Ivo Ivanov of Glitchmachines. "

I know I said I made the last post on the topic, but I lie a lot.

I'm not happy with what I did. (Yesterday I was a little ill and made a lot of sleepy mistakes). Today I see some things wrong and I don't know how I got into the mess. So I'm going to uninstall Maschine and the databases and start over with a fresh start. I know a lot more now and I'll be more careful. It's always been my experience that you need to start off right or you keep getting deeper in do-do. I always keep a notebook of my steps, so I have all the important problems areas highlighted. Writing helps me focus - that's why my posts are so so long, sorry. As I wrote, I'm old-fashioned.

Old man - Hey little boy, how old are you?
    Little boy - Seven.
    Old man - Well, when I was your age I was eight.

5. arachnaut

Does anyone know what the 'GB' code in Maschine means?

I think it stands for 'Groove Box'.

I see these GB prefixes in the registry and in the tags and all over the place.

It looks like it may have been an early code word for the Maschine project.

For example, in the Maschine attribute tags (given the XML attribute, interestingly enough, of 'kore2-attribute-definition'):

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
    <kore2-attribute-definition version="110">

<attributes>
        <sets>
          <set name="GB.SubType">
              <attribute name="Bongo"/>
          <set name="GB.Type">
              <attribute name="Urban"/>

And in the registry there are lots of keys like:

Code:
    "GBX_KENG_numCPUs"=dword:00000001
    which I'm tempted to change.

And maybe, also:

Code:
    "GBX_KENG_dbSearchSamples"=dword:00000000
    to see if it will look for samples...

6. Gary_W

Gary_W NI Product Owner

Jim....

On the Maschine forum, I have noticed a trend whereby when something is good, it is refered to as 'dope'. I'd never heard this term before (old fart that I am). An example of this use of the word in context would be:-

'I'd love it if Maschine would do time stretching. That would be dope'.

I mention this only because, if you post these questions there, some folks would be less inclined to think that the question was 'dope' as opposed to the believing that you've been smoking some :)

You'll have to forgive me for not replying to you in a more sensible manner - I'm enjoying reading your posts and questions here but would have no clue whatsoever how to help hence me not replying. In fact, I feel like a bit of a dope!

So, despite it being a dope question, I am too much of a dope to answer. Oh, and say nope to dope, kids. I think that covers it.

I'll go now.

Gary

P.S. Could the 'GB' to which you refer stand for 'Generally Beaten' which would indeed suggest drums?

7. arachnaut

I'm not ready for that forum yet. I don't even know what the genre's mean. On my Zen media player (old-fashioned, with a 40 GB hard drive), I only have 'Rock', 'Jazz', 'Classical', 'New Age', 'Electronic' and 'Pop'.

On second thought, GB stands for GigaByte, the size of the libraries, or maybe GigaBucks, what NI hopes to make on sales (I'm doing my part).

Besides, this is about cross-grading from Kore and that's exactly what I'm doing.

I went through all this when I installed Kore (actually, I did a whole lot more then than I'm doing now).

I don't know what most people do when they install something, but I have a fair idea. It's a lot of work and I'm anxious to make some music instead of all this messing around.

8. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Group Bank?

9. sowari

i have no idea what GB means.

Jim stop it! :eek: :p

some genres for you... some you might already know:

Fidget House, Wonky, Neo-trance, Drill n Bass, Footwork, Grimestep.

sowari

10. kb123

kb123 NI Product Owner

wow never heard of any of these :eek: , not wishing to derail the thread but, can you briefly explain them?

11. arachnaut

I'll be good.

And I'll be looking for great-googly-moogly-translate.com

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  12. Gary_W

Gary_W NI Product Owner

Well.....

Here's my first 'Maschine' track

http://soundcloud.com/gary_w/coming-up-for-air

I did it in Maschine up to a certain point, then squirted the audio streams out to Reaper. In Reaper, I added the vocals, some compression, delay and reverb and mixed to taste.

All of the percussion plus the bass is Maschine. The synth that goes throughout is Kore (bless it all who sail in it) then there are a few other bits and bobs from Kontakt. All of this was sequenced / played in Maschine.

The good bits were putting the patterns together and having the confidence to 'do' the drums myself as opposed to just pulling drum patterns across in EZ Drummer (previous method of percussion!).

Bad bit was that I did the violins in Maschine and (because of the pattern based nature) these cut off in the wrong places. So I squirted the midi out to Reaper and fiddled there.

Another good bit was that Reaper was just working with loads of audio files and no VSTi's. For this reason, the project loads dead quick and all the computer muscle is left for effects as needed. It was also good to get to a certain point of the project in Maschine and then, at the point of bounce to Reaper, 'draw a line' under it and say 'that bit is done'. This is good for me as I'm a habitual fiddler!

It was also good to start with the drums and bass and build from there; generally, I'll start with an acoustic guitar and build it from there. Starting with the oomphy bits has given it a lot more solid bottom end.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Style-wise I'd say it's in a vaguely Peter Gabriel direction. Ish.

13. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

Nice work, Gary!

I do the same thing with Maschine. It's too much "black box" to bother with it as a VSTi, so I force myself to work most of the underlying structure of a song in Maschine and then as you say, make a commitment to that and "squirt out" the audio stems and bring them into my DAW.

Much simpler to work with a half-dozen audio tracks in Cubase. Everything maps cleanly to the first Mackie Extender on my desk rather than having a zillion MIDI, audio, and instrument tracks in the DAW and have none of them on the screen or directly in front of my fingers on the Mackies when I need them.

Keeping Maschine out of the DAW makes life simpler, easier, and more fun.

And this is why Maschine needs a real transport with a real location counter. But that is an argument for another day and another forum...

14. arachnaut

Yes, it's a nice song and you have a good voice.

I have never attempted a structured song before, or anything looped or metered or obeying conventional rules of harmony.

I might try something like this with Maschine, altough probably not at first. That is it's obvious use, but Live is like that, too, and I never got into the Live scene.

I'm surprised you were able to use it so quickly. I'm pretty far away from just making my first loop.

15. sowari

google is your friend ;)

especially good is googling loving wonky, there is a very good blog on this post dubstep style.

sowari

16. arachnaut

That was the first thing I did and I thought it was a hidden message to me:

Spellcheck - do that
    Different words - not that
    More general - can't be that
    Fewer - Ah!

Attached Files:

• gf.gif
      gf.gif
      File size:
      11.7 KB
      Views:
  17. sowari

Fewer indeed :lol:

@Gary, nice track. i particularly liked the piano and strings and the change at about 2 minutes was very good.

fwiw, my working method is to do all of my ideas in Maschine and then Drag n Drop Audio into Logic for arranging and mixing.

oh yes Future Garage is another genre worth looking at. the artist called Burial - who has been very influential on this style, especially the swingy rhythms - is worth having a look at.

sowari

18. Gary_W

Gary_W NI Product Owner

Thanks for the nice comments, folks :)

I really enjoyed putting this one together. Bif's suggestion about the transport is valid as then I could have done even more in Maschine, but having said that I was satisfied with the cut-off point between the two; it suited my way of working this time but I'd like the flexibility to do a bit more.

Jim - whilst I am a manual reader, I'm also a 'play with it and see what happens' kind of person and for me this thing encourages that. There's a fair bit you can do without a manual IMO but then you certainly hit a bit of a wall as some things are only obvious once the bit of paper (or .pdf) has given you the directions :)

Sowari - what's the benefit of the drag and drop audio vs just rendering to files? I'm probably missing something obvious which is usual for me :)

19. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

If I remember correctly, drag and drop only grabs the contents of the current scene.

A full export gives you stems from measure 1 beat 1 thru the end of the last scene. You may need to "select all scenes" for that to work, I don't remember for sure...but you can experiment to figure that out.

I much prefer the stems, because I can then choose to use automation or my DAW's version of the "Slap Chop" to make things fit. I like simple and I like choices.
    ---
    PS - another thing you can do with the full stems is to play with the alignment in your DAW. So if you don't like that high hat on 1 and 3, you can change it to the and-of-2 and the and-of-4 just by dragging that one audio file.

It's also easier to apply warping to one big wave file than it is messing with a bunch of individual scene-lengthed audio files.

With scads of individual "scene audio files", you'll have to either glue them first in your DAW or select them all to do something like this.

20. sowari

actually Drag n Drop Audio is Group specific and to be more accurate, Pattern length in that Group.

i like it because in terms of a kit, i can choose any combination of a kit from one sound - by soloing - up to 16 by using mutes. that means i can select a kick loop a snare loop and a tops loop as example of taking 3 loops from a kit.

i tend to Drag n Drop 4 or 8 bar Patterns, which gives me enough flexibility to easily change an Arrangement.

sowari