The 'Kore Owners who have Crossgraded to Maschine' thread

Discussion in 'KORE' started by Gary_W, Jul 1, 2011.

1. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

I wish Maschine had an on/off switch. I don't like to plug and unplug powered USB cables so much.

2. arachnaut

I have my PC and MAC installed properly and all the third party stuff is tagged and consistent between the two.

I learned a lot about relative file handling. Too much.

I plan to make a first piece and submit it here, but it will be some time because I want to make a complete sound package and upload it.

I have a nice set of samples that I made for Metaphysical Function and some other samples with a Sci-Fi horror-type twist. These are both available from the Reaktor U/L.

Many of these are percussive and many are looped.

So it shouldn't take too long to make a smallish library for Maschine.

It will teach me how to make and share projects/groups/patterns/sounds/etc. I'll try to make it pretty involved and interesting. But it will be weird, 'Wonky-Twist' genre.

3. BIF

BIF NI Product Owner

I stand corrected on my comment then.

It sounds like drag and drop audio might work well for me if I had a project where I didn't want to create the whole structure of the song in Maschine but instead only wanted to grab a few basic audio elements from Maschine and take them straight into the DAW.

In other words, it might be a good shortcut for bringing in minor elements.

Thanks; I will bear this in mind for future reference.

Question: Can I do all this WITHOUT running Maschine as a VST in my host? I just don't like Maschine as a VST, it makes everything harder...

4. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

to be honest, i have not tried to Drag n Drop from Maschine Standalone into a DAW.. maybe i should try it :lol:

i tend to work Standalone but load Maschine as a VST just for Dragging n Dropping.

sowari

5. Gary_W

Gary_W NI Product Owner

Thanks for explaining the drag and drop for me - I get the point of it now :)

6. arachnaut

I am in the process of upgrading my computer to a new Core i7-2600k behemoth. I'll be out of the loop for a while. I blame it on Maschine, at least that's what I told my wife.

7. sowari

laters

sowari

8. arachnaut

I start building tomorrow when the memory comes.

I hope to reach 5GHz per core in the i7-2600k.

Attached Files:

9. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Pffft...with the stock cooler? :-D

10. arachnaut

No - trying the Thermaltake Silent 1156. This is a bit better than stock, is very quiet, and doesn't cost very much, so if it doesn't do what I want, I won't mind putting it on my wife's computer and getting a bigger model.

11. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Don't forget to tell her it'll make her computer go faster :)

Mike

12. arachnaut

Believe it or not, this is on-topic.

I was planning to upgrade, and Maschine just doesn't cut it on my 5 year old set-up, so it just forced me to do it now rather than wait a while. Kore uses about 2% of the CPU but Maschine far surpasses that, so people should be aware when they crossgrade that their old system might not work so well. You need a 2.4 GHz dual Core or better - and that's just a recommendation.

My wife's system is also relevant - I built a core i5-2500k system for her last month in preparation for my own upgrade - so I can overclock her system with this cooler (Silent 1556) if it doesn't get me where I want. So I did tell her I can make her 'machine' faster.

I'd rather not go to liquid cooling if I don't have to... now *that's* off-topic, and so is discussing Arctic Silver 5 versus Ceramique thermal compounds, and polishing the thermal contacts, etc., etc.

I will now shut up and wait for my 16 GB Ripjaws X to arrive so I can start building.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  13. a1mixman

a1mixman NI Product Owner

14. theoryzero

theoryzero NI Product Owner

Did you guys see this? A not-as-slick-as-I-hoped way of emulating part of Kore's super-instrument capability in Maschine. I guess I don't see how it's different than having multiple instruments in any other DAW and setting them to be triggered by the same MIDI channel. The main difference being you can save and recall the setup.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZwyU2oyJaE"]‪Sound Design w/ Maschine Tutorial Using FM8, Massive, Reaktor (Native Instruments)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

15. sowari

i had seen it... and to be honest, i don't get why he mentions Kore because as you say he is just layering stuff and adding EQs to remove clashing Frequencies.

by the way, it is much easier to copy n paste the Pattern by using the Maschine Controller, rather than the method he uses in the video

anyway, Kore has great MIDI routing possibilities, Maschine does not have have this.

sowari

16. a1mixman

a1mixman NI Product Owner

Kore has great AUDIO routing possibilities, as well.

17. TabSel

TabSel NI Product Owner

And quite sophisticated easy and ergonomic hierarchical visualization of it.

18. zeoka

zeoka NI Product Owner

Yeah A1 ! With groups finally kore have same possibilities as maschine.
    "And quite sophisticated easy and ergonomic hierarchical visualization of it."
    With touchscreen you quasi don't look your kore hardware !
    Maschine is all in the box concept ... a very good concept too but when you want make
    a project you come back in a daw and a mouse more quiqkly as you want.
    Maschine have a plus : the autowrite .Your group (sounds+pattern+modulations)
    is like a kore sound with temporal dimension.It's a "moving" sound
    Very interresting.
    I fear the autowrite will be reserved to maschine only in the future.
    It can not be handled by kore or any midi device knobs and can not be sent to external device:(

19. sowari

hmmmm

i saw your touchscreen video and to be honest, i think it is faster to use the Maschine Controller to browse and load sounds, then start making music by recording patterns.

sowari

20. zeoka

zeoka NI Product Owner

I've modified my kore browser now i can search by plugs & by attributeS
    My brain is direcly connected to the kore now !
    Left hand plugged in my kore hard , right hand plugged to kore soft !

I use search function (plugs&presets !) with virtual kb FAST

I doubt strongly maschine will be more fast.

Hundreds of plugs ! :D :D :D

Thousands of sounds :D :D :D

Jalouse guy :p