The Merging of Kontakt & Komplete Kontrol in the works?

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Bongo John, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Bongo John

Bongo John New Member

Kontakt, while not being fully integrated with the Komplete controller boards, does indeed allow via multi-rack and multiple instruments at one time - great composition tool. I've heard of FreeStyle which somehow creates a multi-rack in the Komplete Kontrol interface. Not just one-off sounds/loops with effects, but multiple channels of output controlled with multiple midi channels like Philharmonik 2, Play(East/West), or similar. Nonetheless, I utilize the Kontakt multi-rack setup in Cubase and it works great! I have the one VST for Kontakt in my session with over 12 MIDI tracks pointing to it btw, all routed to separate channels. Only using 5% of my i7 quadcore processor on a PC under Windows 10 and minimal disk usage thanks to 32GB ram. Great to stay in MIDI till time of mixdown, especially for film where footage can change in the middle of a scoring project. Instead of any re-printing nightmares of printed tracks having to reprint due to a tempo change, it is all seamless in adjusting in the MIDI environment on my DAW, with full usage of my effect plug-ins on the channels and almost no latency. It has made turnaround time a breeze. I wonder if NI is planning on merging the Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol interface technologies.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. van Grieg

van Grieg NI Product Owner

I have no inside knowledge and haven’t seen any official information about it, but intuitively I would say it’s a definite no.

First, if they planned something like this, why would they invest resources into developing KK software?

Second, for all its glory and power, Kontakt is a highly complicated product, a convoluted mess I would say. It seems that NI are focusing on attracting more hobbyists new users with little prior experience in music making, and it’s hard for me to see why these people would flock to something like Kontakt.

In fact, if you asked me which product NI would abandon next, Kontakt would be first on the list from my perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  3. xgman

xgman NI Product Owner

God i hope not. KK is slow slow to load I usually just bypass it ... ugg...

4. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Yeah, I do not believe this will be a thing and personally I would not want it "integrated" into KK. As mentioned above, KK was initially a lean and usable tool but with too many additions it gets slower and slower and less usable.

Unfortunately, if you want multi-layered instruments within a single device, komplete kontrol isn't a useful option. One hopes that it would offer similar functionality as Akai VIP (without the clunkiness and bugs) but based on the speed at which features roll out over the last 4 years, holding your breath for this would be a death sentence.

I think the main shining aspect of KK is not as a "komplete" and all round central solution like the marketing would suggest, but as a nice keyboard with ability to find sounds when you need and get into tweaking them. Some cases it's more of a hindrance than anything else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bongo John

Bongo John New Member

It may have been better to have stated in my initial post, "Will Komplete Kontrol expand to allow for a multi-rack feature?"

I guess my point is that Komplete Kontrol should have a "multi-rack" setup that Kontakt does allow. All sounds that KK utilizes are also accessible via Kontakt which really at that point the KK is acting as a basic MIDI controller and Kontakt acting as a "container" for the NI instruments. Komplete Kontrol seems more geared to real-time adjustments and live performance. What Komplete Kontrol does not allow is a multi-rack setup. Multi-rack setups are much better for utilizing in working with multiple NI instruments in a session. I have a session that has one, that's right, one instance of Kontakt with 16 instruments of Komplete 12 in it with 16 stereo outs routed to separate channels, each of which I can apply effects. I have zero issues with Kontakt running Komplete 12 NI collection. Do you like any NI products? I occasionally utilize Miroslav Philharmonik 2 as well as Play(East/West) which also function similarly as far as signal routing to separate channels and several MIDI tracks pointing to the VST's.

6. van Grieg

That would be great if KK was multitimbral, yes.

I have a love/hate relationship with NI products, I would say. They are the most promising and the most frustrating pieces of software and hardware I've used, I think.

7. radiospace

radiospace NI Product Owner

How on earth could they abandon Kontakt when people have thousands of dollars worth of libraries that require it (both NI stuff and 3rd party)? I would find that completely outrageous and would never forgive them... unless of course they introduced a new sampler that was backwards compatible with Kontakt libraries.

8. van Grieg

They are very capable people, they can always find a way. :)

How on earth do they manage to abandon hardware right after release?