The old replace (rec+erase)

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by yo_mismo, Jun 5, 2015.

1. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

Hey! i just updated to the new software 2.0 and it changed my mind about maschine. Great job!
    But one thing i miss too much, is the replace feature.. why was it taken? Seems so simple yet so useful; and doesn't displace any other feature!
    Please do.

2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

It's still there, but perhaps different. It's not a feature I've used that much really. What are you expecting and what part of it isn't working for you?
    (Updated to 2.3, yes?)

3. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

It was used when you wanted to play again just one portion of a pattern. Instead of erasing the whole pattern for that note, you pressed erase+rec, and then it started erasing and at the same time, recording what was being played, until erase was released

4. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

It is still there only you don't have to hold it anymore it latches into replace mode until the loop cycles or you punch out.

5. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

OK! I discovered it. It was in fact improved by far: You first select the sounds and then engage recording using erase button as a sort of shift key.
    Sorry for this!

6. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

still is very problematic because the replacement mode will invariably stop when the loop completes, so it is almost impossible to change the first note in a pattern with this method; the previous replace was very useful because i could change (by playing) a pattern completely, on the fly. Now i am obliged to pass through a silence because i must first delete the pattern and then start over from nothing. I based many things in my performances in this replacement feature, I was pretty surprised to see it removed
    There should be a way to let it keep on through the loops as it used to be...
    I still have the 1xx version for if you would like to see a video..

7. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

can this auto punch out be overridden? it should! as i explained, it ends up defeating it's purpose a bit..
    Thanks for the responses, by the way!

8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

As I said, it wasn't really a feature I'd used much, but after reading your initial post, I gave it a try and did not find it particularly useful, specifically this issue with the first note(s) of a Pattern. Seemingly impossible to replace.

I can see why I don't use this feature and think it could be much more useful, perhaps being extended so that a new Pattern is created on subsequent passes if that's the option the user chooses. Also, just an option for it not to "auto-punch out" would be useful to some users too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

I don't know much how this forum is organized... Do you think this will be added? it takes literally four to eight characters to do so:
    /* if(..){ */
    /* } */ ​
    If it is, I will make a tutorial on how to take advantage from the feature

10. b-righteous

Shift+erase+record will catch that first note. ;)

11. b-righteous

This would be a useful option. To record various takes and choose the one you want.

Beyond that, I think it only makes sense that it kicks into overdub after the loop passes. Otherwise it will be erasing what you just played. This will force you to undo or drop out of record at the exact moment you finished.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  12. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

Hey! thanks for the responses, I am really appreciating them! :)
    Well, it is true that with version 2, the meaning of replacement recording changed meaning, because it passed from being instantaneous (only while holding) to latched (press once)... So it is true, more than "getting the old feature" may be about being able to engage replacement record in instantaneous fashion. I think that it is a simple yet great live performance trick that was lost, actually I started feeling a bit as if I suddenly lost my thumb when I updated and tried that part. I guess that I can learn to live with that, but i think that the instant mode is more on the spirit of performing live, in which maschine is making awesome right now. I have been really improvising electronic music on the fly with maschine; without getting boring, which is quite a thing! I don't prepare nothing before. Maybe this is because I worry too much about these little features.

Actually it would be quite an innovation, because with any regular looper you are limited either to overdub or to start from silence. Never to replace a piece. It was possible and now is *almost* possible

13. b-righteous

Good points. I like the current functionality for production but I can see using it live. Maybe they can have an option for that too.

So you would have a replace option for recording takes that you can toggle on and off using shift+grid.
    Then another for either latch or hold. With hold on, you can still use shift+erase+record to force latch behavior.

14. yo_mismo

yo_mismo New Member

Well I think that take recording is a great idea! but is something additional to the simple live recording idea that I propose... Maybe my point of view is a bit too stretch because the thing aches me a lot. You guys will be better at choosing how it goes ;)

15. b-righteous

Indeed the takes are different option but still somewhat related to how replace record can be improved.

The hold option I mentioned would simply work like 1.8 and not latch or go into overdub unless you use it with shift.

• Like Like x 1
  16. monokoi

monokoi New Member

Just got the hardware today, so I'm quite the newb. I've read multiple threads about "replace recording", but can't get it to work (MkII / 2.x)
    I need several attempts to get "into groove", but with each pass of the loop it keeps adding to the previous one. But from what the manual says, replace mode returns to overdub when the loop starts over.

How do I enable looped replace recording please?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  17. monokoi

monokoi New Member

So, two years later I still have not figured out how to do this.
    Anyone, please?