1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

The prefect controller for Traktor Pro

Discussion in 'DJ Controllers' started by mishmashmole, Nov 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mishmashmole

mishmashmole NI Product Owner

Does it exist yet?

I'm in the process of starting to learn Traktor Pro while using my remote SLK 25 and my Hercules. I'm willing to get rid of both if there is a controller that exists that is laid out in a way that fits Traktor Pro and does not need a lot of modifiers buttons.

It seems like the Vestax TR 1 ( http://ci.vestax.com/en/products/tr1_01.html) is close but not jog wheels.

So what is the most user friendly, all in one controller with large levels of playability for Traktor Pro? Or are we still waiting on it?

2. trat

trat Forum Member

Were do you need jog wheels for? You don't need them, unless it's for scrolling through your playlist / library.

3. mishmashmole

Well, I have a vinyl background and I feel it's convenient for finding the right point in a track. Like I say, I want pick up and play with minimal preparation. I don't want to go through all my tracks making cue points or even beat gridding for that matter. I want to pick up and play, hmm yeh, like I used to with vinyl. Now I have digital tracks and I'm looking for the most user friendly controller.

4. Plutotype

Plutotype Forum Member

coming soon

hi.

http://www.xone.co.uk/dx/

coming out in dec 09

Plutotype

5. aviray

aviray Forum Member

I guess it is the hidden, unwritten suggestion that all jog wheels suck-which I am afraid is true.
    If you dont want to use Scratch then the best I know is SCS3d daScratch from Stanton. You can get 2 and there is not too much of switching, using modifiers. I had SCS3m - the matching mixer but didnt like it and till something better comes out use Nocturn (along with 2 SCS3ds).
    The touch surface of SCS3ds works for me better then any other - jog wheel based controler. Also FX, loops, trigger work for me fine, specially ergonomy . That was the thing I didnt like about SCS3m, the layout didnt feel right for me.
    Live, I want/like everything "right there" and be able to use semi blind.

6. antreask

antreask Forum Member

Vci 100 is pretty good. firmware update + techtools overlay and tsi and u will be banging :)

7. mishmashmole

Xone dx:

Yes, this would be my ultimate solution. Everything seems to be in the right place. I also like the fact that it's made up of separate circuit boards for each section so it's easy to repair. Unfortunately, I'd say it's out of my price range as DJing is my 3rd hobby right now so I can't really justify its price. But I can see for a lot of people it would be the perfect all in one solution.

Stanton SC3D plus Nocturn

I wouldn't like this solution. I want a more out of the box work with Traktor feeling rather than me making decisions about how I should map the Nocturn etc.

VCI-100

It's tempting because djtechtools is a great site and Ean Golden is enthusiastic and has made a good solution. But ultimately he adapted the VCI-100 to fit Traktor Pro, which he's done an amazing job on, but I can see myself forgetting what modfiies what rather than controls being intuitive and easy to understand. I like the "half-blind" wish that aviray gave. I want to be able to not DJ for 3 months but then come back to it and easily remember what controls what. This wouldn't happen with the VCI 100 for me.

8. RoyHabets

RoyHabets Forum Member

I guess when you want to have the vinyl feeling, you should get Traktor Scratch Pro. Then you won't sacrifice anything.
    If you want to play completely digital, let go of the jogwheel idea and just go for a nice controller with rotaries, push encoders en knobs.

9. mishmashmole

OK, if I let go of the jogwheel idea and my budget is around 700 US dollars, what would be recommended taking into consideration all I have said above?

10. RoyHabets

RoyHabets Forum Member

Well, what are the features you want to control in Traktor? Do you have a separate audio interface? These are things you have to consider before looking out for a new (set of) controller(s). :)

11. hesitant

hesitant NI Product Owner

Vestax TR-1. I have one and it fits Traktor perfectly. Easy to switch between decks and everything is mapped out as you see it on screen. Unfotunately I'm having to sell mine due to financal crisis. But once thats resolved I will be buying another one.

12. mishmashmole

All the usual suspects, EQ, crossfader, pitch, pitch bend, sync, and cue.

Then I would like 3 fx on/off buttons and 3 fx rotaries for both channels.

For loops I want in/out and 3 buttons for preset lengths or 2 to double/half size. Again on each channel.

Soundcard preferably inbuilt.

Luxury:
    - Rotaries to control track seeking
    - Some sort of navigation system for browsing & loading tracks but I could see myself using the trackpad for this.
    - 4 cue buttons for each channel

13. RoyHabets

RoyHabets Forum Member

I guess you don't have an external mixer? If you have one, I could advice the Xone:2D. Proper controller, nice layout and audio interace built in.

If you don't have an external mixer, you'd better listen to other people. Like hesitant perhaps, although I don't know if in the Vestax the audio interface is built in.

14. hesitant

There is no soundcard built into the TR-1. I'm currently using a Audio 4 Dj and running Traktor internal. Everything works great.

15. mishmashmole

I have an external mixer but I'm selling it. I want an all-in one. I don't see the point unless I was using the external for something else.

Back to the TR-1 then I guess. If only it had little jog wheels.... So how do you do track seeking with this?

16. moleminor

moleminor New Member

Does anyone have experience on the SCS.1m/d?
    It has the look of a real mixer which I like, though with out the deck you probably have to do a lot of work at laptop level.
    The TR-1 looks nice, shame about sound card,, but where the f@*k is the crossfader?
    Why has no one done something which fits all (I'm ignoring all a+h products on basis of price alone)

17. hesitant

Track searching is done with the little joystick in the middle of the controller. Up and down to scroll through your tracks and a flick left or right to load it to the relevant deck. You can also press down on this joystick to preview the track before loading it
    ---
    When running 4 decks on internal mode it would be pointless to have a crossfader so on that basis I think thats why it ain't there. The channel faders are perfect in my opinion. If you want a crossfader, hook it upto an external mixer. ;)

18. aviray

aviray Forum Member

It is just my personal preference - in this case I like to set the midi stuff myself at the moment SCS3 series are not editable so Nocturn work better for me.
    Give the whole set 2SCS3d + SCS3m try (not separately) might work for you since you want out of the box, no tweaking.
    It is only non vinyl or Scratch solution that works. All those jog wheels are OK for scrolling lists nothing else. For scratch, jog wheels are like having piano where you play C1 might play C#1/D1 or B0 or A#0.
    Unlike those toywheels regular rotaries work fine.
    Another option worth trying Faderfox DJ2 DX2, like SCS3 you must try them in sets to really feel how good as all in one solution they are.

19. empolo

empolo NI Product Owner

How about 2 SCS.3ds and a Hercules DJ Control Steel? Solid controller, easy to map. Use the jog wheels on the Steel for playlist scrolling and/or FX parameter control and use Vinyl mode on the 3ds for vinyl-like control (google some videos on the 3d and you'll see that it's pretty good for scratching if that's your thing).

All told - about $600.

20. R.BeLLZ

R.BeLLZ Forum Member

Introducing Worlds best traktor controller, The TR-1!

Crossfader? Who uses that?

They'll use the joystick and like it!

Get a hercules RMX, that was my first controller and it did the job very well and got me used to digital, prob a third of the price and everything the TR-1 has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.