1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

:: THE T33 thread ::

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by DJ Freshfluke, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boysteve

boysteve NI Product Owner

You've got it backward. NI is a part owner of Beatport.

2. AudioRapture

AudioRapture NI Product Owner

Go me. Is that stated somewhere obvious or do you have to pay attention to figure that out? If the latter, I'm not surprised I missed it.

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

have a look at chapter 6.4.4 Locked Playlists and 6.4.5 Unlocked Playlists for a detailed description. you have missed the concept here, there's absolutely no need to use 2 copies of the same playlist.

4. DJ Freshfluke

and you will have nowhere seen me saying the fx in 33 are better than in 32, because i dont have a detailed comparison. this is one reason why i asked repeatedly for exact steps, because i'm not that deep into the effects. i'm using the beatmasher sometimes and that worked better for me than in 32. period.

of course the discussion about the FX is valid, if so many people are now missing something, i never said that's wrong, but you simply cannot say, T33 is crap, because it works flawlessly for me (and others).

got my point? :)

5. selector97

selector97 NI Product Owner

3.3 does not recognize usb-midi deivces

Hello.

I have been searching for entries concering this, but I could not find any so I post it here (again?).

3.3 does not recognize usb-midi devices in my case: x-session and/or uc-33 both from evolution. if I connect them midi to midi they both work. My Xone:3D is recognized as Midi device even if it is plugged via usb. Is that a kown problem with 3.3?

answers appreciated.

kind regards

6. boysteve

Naw, it seems to be fairly downplayed. But it's certainly a reason beatport.com pushes NI product, and Traktor pushes beatport.com. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but knowing it does give some explanations for the crosspollination business they do.

7. DJ James Lake

DJ James Lake NI Product Owner

I already have given a detailed explanation in post 154 of the effects posts.

NG. How you can get the beatmasher to do anything useful in 3.3 is totally beyond me. The effect is totally unusable.

8. PhrunkyTek

PhrunkyTek NI Product Owner

Beatport is not owned at all by NI in the slightest. They are partners, but that is the extent of their relationship. Yes a very close one, due to the platforms enhancing buisness relations for one another, but NI isn't owning anything via beatport.

9. RufusWhite

RufusWhite NI Product Owner

I'd listen to Steve on that one mate, as he has dealings with Beatport on many levels. I'm just saying.

Rufus

10. RufusWhite

RufusWhite NI Product Owner

I've been staying away from the forums in the vain hope that NI might have got their stuff together in the public relations front and I could come back and find them a much happier place to hang out, sadly I was mistaken.

Unfortunately, this release has served not only to highlight NI's lack of thought for the end user and the diverse ways in which they work, but also it's general attitude towards them, which I think GMint summed up very nicely in his post. It's this attitude, more than the update itself which seems to be becoming the more bone of contention for many of the posters in this forum, rather than the actual release itself, and after looking through the posts I feel this is wholly justified.

I'd have so much more respect for NI if they just turned round and said 'look, we realized we made a balls-up right here, we honestly didn't see it coming, but we're working on fixing it right now', instead of all this pussy-footing around the issue. With any form of creative software, there are going to be as many ways of using it as there are people using it - NI tout the customizability of T3 as one of it's main features, and yet when they implement a major change to something as central as the effects section, they neglect to at least give people the *option* to do things in the way they've become used to. The pitch problem (ie. not being able to use pitch correction outside of about +/-30% tempo change) has only just come to my attention (after having 'down'graded to 3.2 shortly after installing 3.3), and yet this again significantly affects processes that I use whilst playing out. NI seem to make these sweeping changes that influence the user experience in a huge way, and then when people complain, justify it with "it's what our users wanted". I'm a user, and it's not what *I* wanted! Extra features are good, but not when it comes at the expense of a feature that you use to sculpt your sound.

The preview player behaviour is a case in point. How hard would it be to have the *option* to allow people to double-click a track for it to load into the preview player? It doesn't have to be one way or the other, it could be both. If you don't want tracks to preview when you double-click them, turn it off. Personally, I very rarely use the preview player, opting instead to load a track into a deck so I can better see the stripe, but that doesn't mean that everybody is going to be happy doing this, and I appreciate the fact that the preview player is there if I want to use it.

Today I did a direct side-by-side (T3.2 - T3.3) comparison of how many steps it took to switch from the filter T2 effect to the way I most often use the delay effect. In T3.2 there were 6 steps from start to finish, in 3.3 there were 11. This is, quite simply, shocking in a piece of software designed for real-time performance. Something like that should be a couple of steps (maybe a preset keystroke), but not only that, some of the steps in 3.3 require a fair degree of concentration (for example, the amount knob in the delay has to be turned all the way down *instantly* as you switch to it, or you will get unwanted audio/audio loss, then the feedback has to be turned all the way down and left for a few seconds before the delay buffer is completely emptied).

I think the thing that really sums this release up for me as it stands right now, is the fact that Phil, one of the beta testers is still using 3.2 - why on earth would NI release this update if one of their most public figures were not completely happy with the way it worked? I'm lucky, in that 3.2 has worked pretty reliably for me, and therefore I have something to fall back on, but I know this is not the case for everybody, and many people were expecting 3.3 would solve a lot of the issues they were having, only to have features they use on a daily basis taken away from them or made more difficult to use.

The really sad thing for NI right now is that Traktor's most prominent user and advocate, Boysteve (at least from a listenership point of view - he is listened to well over 10,000 people a day through his podcasts), still uses T2.53, as do many other people on this forum. NI should be asking themselves some serious questions about why this might be, and how they might go about rectifying this. The worst publicity any software company can receive is when users feel justified in not upgrading, not because the new features will not be useful to them, but because features they like and use on a daily basis have been *taken out of the software*.
    Rufus

11. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

I don't have an immediate answer for you but can you shoot me an email to jplewis01 AT Comcast DOT net?

Phil

12. DJ Freshfluke

we already forwarded that. i didnt meant you personally with that, that was meant more generally.

amount on 50%, length on 25% and pushing the on/off knob in the right moment.

then maybe turning the length down for kinda drumroll while turning the amount down, e.g.

13. DJ Freshfluke

AFAIK not - please contact support on that!

14. selector97

Midi

will contact support tonite.

thx ng & phil

phil I have mailed u, but i think support will take over now, as ng suggessted.

15. boysteve

Closer to 20,000 a day; Podrunner alone gets upwards of 600,000 downloads per month. And while I don't think that should in any way lend weight to my opinions about Traktor, the reality is that I constantly get asked what I use to mix with. And my invariable response is that I use Traktor 2.5.3; I wish I could use Traktor 3 but I feel it is too unstable and buggy for public performance or dependability for my podcasts. In other words, here is a golden opportunity to be an ambassador to a pretty sizable audience for a software I am literally living on, and in good conscience I can't recommend it.

I love Traktor. I love that it provides me with the opportunity to do something that means a lot to me and get it out there to a lot of people, many of whom have never been exposed to it. I love that it was the foot in the door to legitimacy for laptop DJs. But I find it hugely disappointing that there seems to be no vision or logical curve behind Traktor's development, that new and undesirable features with bugs are introduced before old bugs are fixed, that workflow changes are introduced in incremental updates for a software whose users rely on kinesthetic memory, that the people who ostensibly represent the company on these forums insist that the emperor is quite well acoutered, thank you very much.

Sometimes the most devastating effect on a business isn't what happens but what doesn't happen. I don't send business NI's way because I haven't been able to use their most current DJ software for nearly two years. You've got DJs like Rufus who play clubs in Ibiza, ferchrissake, who are constantly before the public with this software, and who are begging for this thing's potential to be realized. No one is asking for NI to invent the wheel; everything necessary to work effectively is already in the application. That's what is so frustrating about this whole dustup.

16. selector97

Delay Bug

first: I am getting along with the changed MIDI section very well now, so this report is not the result of any unability to use these efx.

second: i tried to search this thread for reports concering my observation, but i got rid of searching when going though all those crying around. so please tell me if this is already known:

i was playing with traktor 3.3 internal (no vinyl) on 4 decks. i must have done something with the delay of deck b because suddenly the effect was not controlable anymore. it sounded as if a part of the track was sampled or repeated and delayed without any special pattern. resetting the delay or loading a new track did the same with with the new track when switching the delay on. all other efx were ok. and it was only deck b. moving the amount fader repeated the "sampled" part even when "freeze" was off and feedback was down.

i had set the memory of deack a+b to 256mb and of deck c+d to 128mb. I am on MAc OS-X 10.5,2gb Ram,2,4 GHZ core 2 duo.

any ideas?

17. DJ Freshfluke

not really, so please send this to the support. as an 33 update is on the way, this can be helpful info for that, too.

18. JamesUssher

JamesUssher Forum Member

re selector...

I have experienced exactly the same issue with the delay...but did not mention it due to the number of other more pressing problems with this release.

19. Sean

Sean Forum Member

Could be the Logitech Webcam kills generic USB - Midi Driver issue?

Edit - he's on a Mac - sorry...

20. jay michael

jay michael Forum Member

boysteve, have you considered voicing your concerns around
    this software to the many people who listen to your show?
    im sure a special feature on your show outlining the severe
    downfalls of native instruments may be an excellent way to
    get peoples attention. while my website does not reach as many people as you can we can at time have as many as 30000 hits a month. members of my website, www.area709.com are working together to write a comprehensive article
    about the nighmares 4 of us have gone through working with this software. out of 4 of us all at one point struggling with traktor 3.3 and a vci 100 controller i am the only one still sticking it out, 2 have rolled back to 2.5 and one has gone to serato. we will be publishing the article on our front page and
    advertising it to the 62 music based web forums that we regularily post on all over the world. out of professional respect for other artists our hopes would be to save as many people as possible from the headaches and crap current
    users of traktor are having to deal with everyday. perhaps if traktor sales were drastically affected by a world wide realization that native instruments software isnt anything like it used to be it might just be the motivation required for them to pull their heads out of their arses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.