1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tips & Tricks thread

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by euklides, Aug 25, 2009.

1. euklides

euklides Forum Member

Hi everyone,

There's been a lot of moping lately regarding the secret release date of the 1.1 update. Hopefully all it means is they want to shut us all up by cramming all our requests in there, so that we all have the Maschine of our dreams.

UNTIL THEN though, I thought we could all get together and share our best "hacks" or "tips & tricks". Cool stuff you can do with Maschine that perhaps other people haven't thought of, or that newbies would take a while figuring out. Share what's not in the manual? What are your favourite "Maschine kung-fu moves"? We all make different types of music, so there are probably lots of interesting workarounds out there aiming at solving problems of very different character.

The "half-duplicate hack"
    You can select a sound without playing it by holding down duplicate, and then pressing just one sound. (If you press and second sound without letting go, it would duplicate, pressing just one sound and then letting go of duplicate just selects it.)

Velocity to start point with note repeat
    Set a sample's envelope to be fairly responsive, no long decay or hold. Set the Velocity to Volume to 0, then Velocity to Start Point to 100, then play around with the Note Repeat. Glitch the f out!

FX stacking overkill
    Select a sound you want to play around with, then set both FX to the same effect, then the group FX to the same one, then master to the same one. As far as I know not many "samplers" will let you stack 6 FX on one sound. I suppose you could also send a sound to a group with FX that sends it to another group with FX that sends it (through all 8 groups).

Record system audio straight in
    Use soundflower on your Mac to sample iTunes or YouTube or movies or anything else: link

2. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

nice video about sampling and Soundflower and Maschine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3m8W75C9zw"]YouTube - Maschine Sampling Part I[/ame]

sowari

3. unknown stranger

unknown stranger NI Product Owner

would love to do that too. damn, if it only would work... :/

4. tristero

tristero Forum Member

soundflower equivalent for windows?

5. jessem

jessem Forum Member

6. dopebeat

dopebeat NI Product Owner

7. mattsg27

mattsg27 NI Product Owner

Thanks for suggesting my video, Sowari.

If there is anything else people might want explained or need to better understand, I might be willing to shoot some more videos like this. Lemme know

8. jessem

jessem Forum Member

This video is great, if you have any more workflow techniques please post them. One of the better maschine videos I've seen for sure, thanks!

9. milarapa

milarapa NI Product Owner

Thank you!
    Very easy and useful!
    Just an off-topic question, How do you make that video capture?

10. sowari

i would also like to know that as well :)

sowari

11. wickedged

wickedged NI Product Owner

@ mattsg27

Wow! That is an outstanding video - thanks man. If you are willing to, I could definitely benefit from any more tips you might have. Thanks for sharing - you've just opened a whole new world to me! :D :D :D :D :D

EDIT: Just out of interest - at one point you mention to filter the vocals to get rid of the backing track. What's the best way to do this?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  12. sowari

one way of doing this is to use a Hi-Pass Filter. this will just let the higher frequencies through and and filter off some of the troublesome lower frequencies such as any bass instrument and kick drums. it is the bass and kick drums in a sample that interfere mostly with any new beat that you might use.

sowari

13. konsequenz

konsequenz Forum Member

Hey euklides,

thanks for opening this thread:)

let me add something to the stack FX section:

add an input module to lets say sound 1 in group B
    add an fx to this sound
    route output of Group A to the input module
    now record automation of the FX to different patterns of group B

you'll have different FX patterns now, that you can use for different sources ...

14. wickedged

wickedged NI Product Owner

Nice one - thanks Sowari, I'll give it a try. Its nice to have a thread where people are actually talking about USING Maschine rather than griping about it. :D

15. mattsg27

mattsg27 NI Product Owner

On Mac, there is an application called Screenflow for $99. Amazingly easy to work with. I ended up editing the whole thing here rather than putting it in iMovie (which I find confusing).

Cool way of working with Audio, Video, and Text. Feels just like working with a DAW.
    ---
    While I enjoy the kits that come with Maschine, sometimes I want to take the best shots from different kits and combine them in a new group, to save as a different kit.

Just load a kit into Group A, find the shots you like, and drag the "sound" into Group B in the arrangement window. Then load a different kit into Group A, and repeat the process.

The sounds will just load onto the next available pad in Group B. Then rename the kit and save it as a new kit. Easily inspires. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. sstvmv

sstvmv Forum Member

FX patterns

This totally makes my day, thanks for pointing out this amazing possibility, konsequenz! Maschine gets better and better!

17. Depre

Depre New Member

thats what i did recently with some of the percussion kits. grabbed a bunch of different sounds from different kits and mixed them together in my own pattern. really fun and you can find some great stuff that works well together this way.

it's funny cuz i did that and then saved it all and came back to it later half forgetting i did it. i played it and it sounded so dope. i said to myself, 'oh sh*t! I made that?' i almost couldnt believe it :lol:

18. sowari

Using Maschine in Kore2 posted by mattsg27

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Ngc3PfmCs"]YouTube - Maschine MIDI in Kore 2[/ame]

sowari

19. ba-midi

ba-midi NI Product Owner

You're having too much fun. Is that legal these days? :)

Nice work - thanks for sharing.

20. euklides

euklides Forum Member