1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tips & Tricks thread

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by euklides, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Falls A Star

Falls A Star Forum Member

A fun kit trick to make more out of small kits:

Set up a kit on pads 1-8. Duplicate them to corresponding pads 9-16. Reverse pads 9-16 in the sampler parameters.

Link pad 1 to pad 9, pad 2 to pad 10, etc. and set pads 1-8 to be link slaves.

Now when you hit pad 1-8 you get the normal sound, but when you hit 9-16 you get a layered forward/reverse sound that works nicely.

(If you use choke groups, you have to separate them. If you have hats on 3 and 4 and their copies on 11 and 12, 3 and 4 are in one choke group and 11 and 12 are in another, otherwise the doubles cut each other off.)

Other things you can vary on pads 9-16:

Fixed phase cancellation: adjust the start position, and/or the velocity-to-start by a tiny amount.

Tuning: set 9-16 an octave lower, or whatever interval sounds good.

Phaser: set the LFO to pitch on 9-16, leave it 0 on 1-8.

If you're using drumsynth instead of samples, there are other possibilities...

• Like Like x 3
  2. hi-d-ho-man

hi-d-ho-man NI Product Owner

cool tips thanks

3. Falls A Star

Falls A Star Forum Member

Last night I was putting together a kit where I liked a particular open hat sample, but it was panned right. The closed hat that sounded best with it was more central. But there doesn't seem to be a simple way to adjust pan setting for individual sounds.

My solution: on the open hat sound, go into sampler parameters. Slow the LFO way down, set it to retrigger, and assign it to modulate pan (negative to move it left). The hat stops ringing before the pan changes.

EDIT: ha, I found where you can adjust pan for a sound (like you would expect, it's in Sound/Channel/Output). Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

5. Nautty

Nautty New Member

Thank you for this

6. Spazoo

Spazoo NI Product Owner

Are there any advantages to exporting sounds this way rather than the drag-and-drop method?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  7. Ross9999

Ross9999 NI Product Owner

8. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

I can't find the link, but the idea was using a program called "keyboard maestro".
    http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
    Using keyboard maestro i can:
    - Open & quit maschine/ableton
    - Adjust computer volume level
    - Change size of maschine (full size, mini etc...)
    From the maschine hardware.
    Unfortunately mac only.

http://scr.hu/24f4/3lkjp

9. charmingnerd

charmingnerd NI Product Owner

10. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  11. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Need input! :D:cool:
    Some tutorials how to get cool effects and sounds would be nice!
    Did you have some? Post it here... please.

12. dj_67

dj_67 NI Product Owner

How to create a simple four voice chord step sequencer in Maschine
    Chordsequencer.png
    Set up your group like this:

Pad1 - load some polyphonic sound or plugin - to simplify matters I chose „Boogie Piano“ from the Maschine factory sounds.

Select four empty pads (13 - 16 in this example) and set the MIDI output for each of these empty pads to pad/sound slot 1 (in the sound/channel/output/ MIDI settings). Deactivate MIDI thru (sound/channel/input/MIDI) for pad 13 - 16. Assign these four pads to the same link group as slave (pad mode/link group). It’s link group 1 in this example.

Now create a simple macro on group level and assign each transpose knob of pads 13 - 16 to the first four macro knobs (group/macro - select pages; then assign sound/output/MIDI/transpose).

Finally select a fifth empty pad (9 in this example) and set it’s link group to same as the the four previous pads as as master (1 in this example).

Done.

Now you’re able to step sequence pad 9, which acts as the main chord trigger and define your chord via the four transpose knobs in the group macro. Transpose is an automatable parameter - this allows to create/step sequence various chords using step automation.

This is far from perfect (no scales - only chromatic transposing) but it works.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. djlush82

djlush82 New Member

Does anyone else just use the zone area in the sample map page to stack sounds instead of using link groups? Ive never heard anyone mention this but I do it a lot for drums so you can have certain pads that have 2 or more sample hits together and it gives you more free pads to use. U just have to drag sounds to the little "+" icon underneath the first sound and then you have 2 sounds on 1 pad.

• Like Like x 2
  14. DatAsian

DatAsian Member

Now I might have completely missed something, but I couldn't find any way to load in the Maschine softwares own effects via the hardware.
    I could go to browse, effects, and get a list there, but then I gotta go trough a bunch of presets, and 9 out of 10 times I still can't find the effect I wanted to add. Had this a whole lot with a basic compressor.

This is all pretty basic stuff, really, but it really helped my workflow on the Maschine.

Edit:
    Edited out most of my "tips". See post below to see how to work around this !

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  15. AJRussell

AJRussell New Member

Shift+Browse on the hardware.

If you're in an Instrument slot (i.e. Slot 1 of a Sound) then Knob 2 selects between Instrument plugins and Effects.

Knob 1 goes between Internal (Maschine's built-in sounds), NI (other Native Instruments plugins you have installed, e.g. Massive), or External (third-party plugins).

If you're looking at Internal Effects, then a basic Compressor is literally the first thing you see. If you bought Maschine 2.0, then Solid Bus Comp is in NI Effects for you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DatAsian

DatAsian Member

Oh wow, I gotta check that once I get home.
    I guess I did miss something ^^

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  17. kolta

kolta NI Product Owner

A very simple one for hit hat (many of you probably know it already but in case of ...)
    load a hit hat drumsynth on a pad , create a simple line , then play with the decay and automate it to obtain a very realistic hat line . Done ;)
    very efficient on a long pattern

18. daswesen

daswesen NI Product Owner

Tip for playing the kits from the keyboard (on mac, but i'm sure there is similar software for windows).

I use the http://www.manyetas.com/creed/midikeys.html software as an on screen keyboard. I configure it to be togglable with hot keys:
    upload_2016-2-2_10-31-29.png

upload_2016-2-2_10-31-39.png

When I'm in maschine, I can now press alt+shift+command+M, and Midikeys will be active. After pitching Midikeys way down (with command+D),
    I can play the bottom row of my keyboard (zsxdcvgbhnjm,l.;/) to trigger the pads of the current group / sound. Once i'm done and want to be able to use my keyboard normally again, I just press alt+shift+command+M again. Very slick workflow.

19. euklides

euklides Forum Member

If you use the built-in Sampler, you can get a weird lo-fi sample rate bit crunch effect if you set the Pitch in sampler to -36 or +36 then adjust the octave you play it under keyboard/pad mode. For example, if you set the pitch of the sample to -36, then increase the keyboard octave +3, you're playing the sample at the same pitch as before, but it sounds all weird and crunchy. Works for some kinds of music!

• Like Like x 2
  20. SuperTRev

SuperTRev NI Product Owner

FL Studio beats the 'six effects stack': There are ten effects slots per mixer channel.

Using the 'select' button selects a sound without playing it. I don't know why using half duplicate is a trick.

About your glitching tricks, I only have to say: "Grossbeat". Case closed. (Not to mention DJ applications etc.)

To import a track to iTunes using my PC, all I have to do is use the click and drag function, then right click the .wav file and choose:
    'open with... iTunes'. It is added to the library automatically and the user can manipulate it's file properties from there; to make the song
    a part of your artist profile etc. There is no third party application required whatsoever. Even rendering from FL Studio is a one step process.
    I still don't know why people think Macintosh computers have any advantages in music production. It's just bizarre.

Anyway, I'm pretty new to Maschine, but after reading the manual, and doing a few things, I have thought of a few tricks already:

-When using a midi keyboard with it, and playing a drum kit, the midi keyboard acts as the keyboard mode with whatever sound is currently
    selected. So you can be recording a drum beat and use those pitched fast snare rolls etc. Or a sub-bass kick can quickly become a bass line.
    Or whatever creative ideas you have.

-Duplicate a drum snare sound beside the first one, so you can hammer on drum rolls with both hands, and there is no audio underruns or squishy sounds from the sample being played too fast. (Because there is two dedicated samplers playing instead of just one)

-Quantize everything, then use events and nudging (with a very small nudge grid) for those off beats. Much faster than trying to do it manually.

-Instead of manually scrolling the jog wheel to get back to the beginning of your loop, push restart, then play (to stop), then nudge the wheel a little bit. Or just hold 'pattern' and push the pattern button again. Much faster. I'm currently bugging NI for a dedicated stop button.

Not tricks, but friendly reminders:
    -Don't forget to practice with the new chord, scale and arp functions. Makes things very simple.
    -I have scene, pattern and pad mode always pinned. Working in those areas is always two handed work.
    -Pushing in the jog wheel is the same as fine increments. And don't forget the shortcuts for tune, swing and volume under the jog wheel.
    -Use the quick browse button to show presets.

• Dislike Dislike x 1