1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Traktor Backup

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by exokinetic, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exokinetic

exokinetic Forum Member

**EDIT**

Okay folks, after a recent massive hard drive failure, and a healthy search of these forums, I thought there might be more than a few people to benefit from this...

This is my, exokinetic's, Ultimate Traktor Backup Guide.

The intent of the guide is to provide a necessary list of files that ones need to copy their existing traktor experience to a donor computer, or to a fresh install of your preferred operating system on your failed computer.

1. The User Data file directory (wherever you decided to install) labeled "Native Instruments". This is where all your history, traktor .tsi settings files, and other specific information for YOUR Traktor install is located. You want to back up everything in this directory to your backup location(s) as frequently as possible, as it contains your history. This also contains a file called "collection.nml" that is important for importing your music collection to a new computer. **very important** wherever you import these files onto the new computer, you must go into Traktors settings and set that import location as Traktor's root directory in the traktor settings "data location" tab.

2. You're midi binding, effects settings, user interface settings, and most everything else that makes your Traktor interface your's can be exported using the export button in the settings menu inside traktor itself. This .tsi file absolutely needs to be backed up in order to restore YOUR Traktor experience. Back this up as often as you make changes to your MIDI assignments, traktor layout, or audio settings. To restore your settings from a backed up .tsi file, simply use the "import" button inside traktors settings menu, and browse to the directory you have stored your traktor settings .tsi file.

3. An often overlooked area of Traktor backup is playlists. Though in many cases it is not absolutely necessary to backup your individual playlists as they are contained in your collection.nml file (*credit* DJFreshfluke), in some instances it can be useful to have you individual playlists. Like for example if you only wish to move one, or a small portion of your playlists to a donor computer, and not your entire collection.

4. Traktor program file, and drivers. The size of the latest traktor install (1.2.7) + Drivers for Audio 8+4+2 and Kontrol X1 for both mac and pc all together don't even come to 1Gb. Add the time-code waves and your right there. Thats 1Gb for everything you need to install the latest version of TSP +drivers for MAC and PC, and not much more for you S4 users. Defiantly worth the space, AND the added ability to use your personal backup on ANY laptop you can find available for your set.

5. Whatever file directory you used to import your mp3's, WAV's, AAC's, whatever's, into traktor, back this up as often as you add/analyze/add cue point's to new tracks, this is going to be the "meat and potatoes" of your backup, and you want to back it up AFTER you've done everything your going to do to the file IN TRAKTOR. This way, when you import the backed-up directory into a donor laptop, update the root directory, and import all other Traktor information, the donor laptop is going to look AND feel EXACTLY like the device you backed up from, a welcome relief.

6. Another important file to have on hand is all your registration and service center info, cause your gonna need it to do a clean install. This would include your service center email address and password, as well as your serial number(s) for Traktor.

7. Your favored OS install DVD (with its license Key) in your CD Case.

OKAY. So you have all this stuff backed up on an external drive, your cell phone mini-SD card, and your grandmas PDA.

MY LAPTOP JUST DIED! FUXXX!

1. Re-install your favored OS.

2. Install Traktor + Required drivers on donor comp.

3. Transfer all your musics (if possible in the exact same file structure) to donor comp.

4. Transfer your "Traktor Data" (if possible to the exact same directory ("My Documents" by default on PC) to donor comp.

5. Activate Traktor. Start traktor.

6. Update root directory to file folder containing Traktor User Data.

7. Import playlists if needed.

8. Import .tsi file.

9. Burn time-code if necessary.

10. Rock the party.

I hope this is useful/ helps at least one person...

It has certainly saved me, and thats why I wrote it ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. djdrop

djdrop Forum Member

Thanks this is very helpful

3. Dj arab

Dj arab Forum Member

4. pepehouse

pepehouse Account Suspended

What a long post only to say you need to backup the NI folder in "my documents" and your tunes! Which is what I've been doing for two years. Period.

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

sry, but this is wrong information. the folder traktor is installed by default is c:\programs\native instruments\traktor (and something similar sounding with "applications" for the maccies) while the folder containing your user data is found under ...\my documents\native instruments\traktor (in "user folder" on mac)! this user folder is also called root folder.

this is also wrong info!

a)
    all playlists are saved in the collection.nml file. so backing up the collection file (which you do by backing up the traktor user folder anyways) backs up also all playlists. only by a corrupted/deleted collection file you could lose your playlists. and that's why you have a backup, right? also, there is made an automatic collection backup file on every traktor session; also found in the traktor user folder.

b)
    as soon as you set cue points, loops, text tags, ... it is all saved in the mp3 file itself. so by moving only the music files from one computer to another YOU DONT LOSE ANY CUE POINTS!
    however, if you want to transfer a certain traktor playlist (i.e.: the running order of these particular tracks) along with those tracks, you should do that via export playlist. but that's another task.

nonsense. see above.

i see the effort you made here and all, but sorry, a lot of info here is simply wrong and basically, everything you write here is also covered by the "backup/profiles" chapter in the traktor manual.

6. dahJah

dahJah NI Product Owner

7. exokinetic

exokinetic Forum Member

You are quite right, I should have been more specific:

"1. The User Data file directory (wherever you decided to install) labeled "Native Instruments". This is where all your history, traktor .tsi settings files, and other specific information for YOUR Traktor install is located."**

Exactly. What if I just want to load one of my playlists onto a donor computer (say my set for that night) and not my 10 gig complete collection. I understand I could import my one folder of music files, import over my colelction.nml, pull up a consistency report in Traktor and remove missing tracks from the collection, and delete the playlists that got imported from that collection.nml that are now empty.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and this guide was *intended* to be multiply redundant.

Your are absolutely right, and after a bit more testing I can see I was mistaken, and changes made at the Playlist level are totally and completely reflected at the Explorer level, in many cases it just requires a re-start of traktor for all those changes to be visible at all levels. Witch makes complete sense.

Will edit orriginal post to reflect...

Umm, I'm going through the actual traktor manual right now, and there is no such chapter. It has a section for Importing Midi and Layout Settings, as well as for importing collections AND playlists. These are both in the "Upgrading from Traktor 3 or Traktor Scratch" chapter.

And none of this information that I have simply "regurgitated" from the manual (in your opinion) is laid out with the intention of backing up your personal traktor experience for the purpose of restoring onto a fresh OS install.

And as far as I can tell, the only thing I posted originally that was wrong was the implication that edits made to a playlist might not be reflected in the physical file. That qualifies as "a lot of info" ?

"4. Traktor program file, and drivers. The size of the latest traktor install (1.2.7) + Drivers for Audio 8+4+2 and Kontrol X1 for both mac and pc all together don't even come to 1Gb. Add the time-code waves and your right there. Thats 1Gb for everything you need to install the latest version of TSP +drivers for MAC and PC, and not much more for you S4 users. Defiantly worth the space, AND the added ability to use your personal backup (1-3) on ANY laptop you can find available for your set."

I suppose this is equally as useless and redundant?

8. aviray

aviray Forum Member

Exactly, if I had to go through the procedures described by the OP I would rather throw Traktor away.
    One thing that can make backup process even simpler is to move the root folder and music collection to separate partition (works with both PC or Mac). If you have 2 PCs or 2 Macs ( it does not wok like that with PC and Mac unfortunately) you can easily keep them mirrored on daily basis, with just one click on sync button - Synctoy for PCs and few other apps for Mac can do that easily using LAN, WLAN whatever...
    Additionally I have external HDD with partition with same name, even in the most unlikely scenario that main and backup laptop would fail or got stolen, I can take that external drive out of its box put into another computer, instal OS, Traktor, tell traktor where the music and root folder are and it will work exactly like original.

9. ekwipt

ekwipt NI Product Owner

On Mac there's a good way to backup to DropBox by using Symbolic Links:

Download Dropbox and sign up for a free account:

http://www.dropbox.com/

I use the Symbolic Link script downloaded from here:

http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/~seiryu/symboliclinker.html

This script is sort of like an Alias, the difference is if you move an Alias into a Dropbox folder it just copies the Alias not the files themselves.

If you copy a Symbolic Link to the Drop Box Folder it copies the data to the Dropbox Folder but leaves the data in it's original place on the hard drive (i think that's right)

The cool thing with this is you can keep a backup on another computer and all the same info will be synced.

10. bcondemi

bcondemi Forum Member

On my Mac I use time machine. It's backs up my entire machine. If my drive dies or my entire machine dies or gets stolen, I have a complete copy of the drive and can buy a new Mac and restore from time machine exactly the way it was.
    Time machine has saved my ass a few times after accidentally deleting playlists/directories/etc...

BC

11. DJ Freshfluke

it's still not quite right... the traktor "install" things are program related, while the user folder is also installed to a default location (that you dont mention in your post!) but you could remove it and still start traktor, while you couldnt remove the "install" folder (under programs) and still start traktor. see the difference?

the user folder is found under my documents and NOT related to the install folder under PROGRAMS. also it's not the native instruments folder but the respective traktor folder below it. imagine having several NI products on your computer, you would copy unnessessary stuff (regarding traktor) by copying the NI folder.

so, sorry, but the right info still must sound:

The default path of the Root folder is:
    ►PC: My Documents\Native Instruments\Traktor
    ►Mac: Users/~/Native Instruments/Traktor

i just copied this info from chapter 15.2 traktor profiles from the manual. before you ask: i'm not talking about the getting started guide, but the full manual found in the traktor program (install) folder.
    C:\Programs\Native Instruments\Traktor\Documentation
    you can also get there by clicking: Start > All Programs > Native Instruments > Traktor > Documentation.

this is another task. we were talking about backup before, not the export of single playlists. but i already answered that in my initial post above, just a section below:

however, if you want to transfer a certain traktor playlist (i.e.: the running order of these particular tracks) along with those tracks, you should do that via export playlist.

so, it's waaaaaaay not as complicated as you suggested but done with a single click.

you kinda should not use traktor on the explorer level, because you're losing all the good things about traktors collection database. so working with the collection and traktor playlists is kinda recommended if not mandatory to get reliable results.

you obviously missed the traktor manual and only read the getting started guide. here's the full one:
    C:\Programs\Native Instruments\Traktor\Documentation
    you can also get there by clicking: Start > All Programs > Native Instruments > Traktor > Documentation.

and the chapter i'm referring to is called 15.2 TRAKTOR Profiles and it's EXACTLY written for this and other related tasks! :)

nope, having the traktor install file handy is also good thing, and i didnt comment on that, i only commented on the things that were wrong or misleading!

btw, what aviray says is pretty true and i'm doing it like this, too: having my traktor profile root folder and my music NOT on the system drive. in fact, i have my music files under my traktor root folder, so for backup i'm copying exactly ONE folder to my external hdd and i'm done (been too lazy to use a real backup software so far).

12. aviray

aviray Forum Member

13. pepehouse

pepehouse Account Suspended

I use a free program called Cobian Backup that I have programed to do incremental backups every night from my PC to my external drive. Easy and automatic.
    ---
    Poor guy, he thought he invented the wheel with his post. :p

14. exokinetic

exokinetic Forum Member

No not really inventing the wheel, just trying to consolidate ALL pertinent information in one neat place...

And it certainly seems I have accomplished my goal.

Thanks to DJFreshfluke for all the clarification as well.

Wrong informations can many times be a lot worse than none at all :)

15. DJ Freshfluke

ok, imma give it a try! :)

@ exo: really sorry i had to shredder your posting... i definitely see the good will here! :)

16. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Not 100% true.

When my external harddrive crashed (which housed all my 'performance' music), I had to copy over MP3's that I hadn't backed up.

Essentially these were 'clean' files, never had been touched by Traktor.

As soon as I opened Traktor, viola, all cue points were there.

Interesting, eh? :)

17. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

It's all saved in the MP3 AND the collection file.

18. téa

téa NI Product Owner

There is an easier way to save your a$$ if you have a mac.....

CarbonCopyCloner

It creates a bootable back-up of your entire hard drive, all you need is a spare drive. It also does incremental back-ups like time machine.

I have never needed it, but I always have a bootable clone spare drive sitting in a draw, Updated every week. I have tested it in a mates macbook, and it works flawlessly. Just swap out the drives!

19. DJ Freshfluke

the original posting was about moving files. and the info gets written into the files (unless you write-protect them, but we talk about normal defaults here).

additionally (and that's a traktor 3 history thing) the tags are also saved into the collection file. it was necessary back then because in T3 times it was not possible to save tags also to wav's (and flac's IIRC), because of the nature of these file types.

so what's your point?

20. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

I was just commenting on your statement that 'cue points, loops, text tags' where 'all saved in the mp3 file itself'.

Thought you (and others) may have found it interesting that it's not the only case where that information is stored. That's all. Not trying to pick a fight or anything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.