Think i switch to Akai Fire and FL Studio

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Balog, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Balog

Balog NI Product Owner

I think this will fix all things I need Maschine has not to offer yet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

For the price and on paper (I haven't watched any videos yet), it looks pretty good. I can imagine it biting a decent chunk out of Jam and Mikro Mk3 sales...

• Like Like x 5
  3. BLT

BLT New Member

I think its very pathetic that akai fire with FL comes out with seamless integration for kids, but NI, Presonus, can't even get there s&%^ together to integrate, Maschine software does not even have split to grid or ghost notes, this is a common ground for any DAW, if NI wants to act like a DAW then act like one or be apart of all things and make a integrated kick butt plug in. This is becoming a joke at this point. I might as well sell all my gear and go for this too

• Like Like x 7
  4. BezowinZ

BezowinZ NI Product Owner

I am happy to see hardware & software integration growing. Ableton/Push & FL/Fire have the right idea IMO; hardware/software combos that don't require 3rd parties to complete projects.

I know folks like to highlight Maschine & MPC not being DAWs, but imagine the convenience in that & how profitable that could be for companies. Imagine Maschine or MPC doing what Logic or Cubase could do. I know I wouldn't be working in Logic if my MPC hard/soft combo could complete the task, and I'd pay for MPC software at least what I paid for Logic, of not more, because if the the integration & convenience. I'm sure many Maschine users would feel the same.

With Akai teaming up with FL in this way, I now wonder about their commitment to or goal for MPC software regarding DAW-like features. But NI seems committed to developing its ecosystem. With their ability to create industry standards, I hope they're next in line to deliver that comprehensive hard/software combo.

5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Think the pads are too small myself but the amazingly backwards slide of NI doesn't appear to be slowing down.....................

• Like Like x 3
  6. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

that's what i was thinking. those are some mighty small buttons.

also, who could trust NI to develop & maintain DAW software after experiencing the snail's pace that is Maschine development? NI would have to buy an already-established DAW (and hire on its software team) to make that a feasible thing

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

I think what Akai is doing is smart. They went back to making a standalone controller and implemented a DAW if you want to use it, and they already had a partnership with Ableton.

FL studio is the place to be right now since all the kids love it (for good reason) and it's smart to create a controller that gives a tactile element to one of FL's best elements, the step sequencer.

Heck, if Maschine just changed the visualization on the UI and gridded out the sequencer a bit more, and improved the abysmal Maschine piano roll, they would be getting into FL studio's territory since Maschine already has a lot to offer..... But I dream.

• Like Like x 3
  8. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Do you honestly think NI is backsliding? Why do you say so? Just curious.

It's possible Maschine might not do so well, but I have a feeling a lot of people are going to go and get the Mikro and Mk3 at those price points. Whether they stay is another thing...

9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I'd say Studio One 4 and Atom over all that. Being that they listen to customers really well. I see them adding a bigger Atom be in the range of the MK 3 or MPC (not as expensive for those who can't afford a X/Live). Then I'm assuming a presonus midi keyboard after that. Nice thing is your using one program and not something as a plug in. On top of that you have additional hardware that integrates with it like a faderport, audio interfaces, and now atom. Then a keyboard which makes sense for them (I'm guessing here).

10. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

Imageline listens to their users as well, and their updates are free for a lifetime. FL is not expensive and capable of much more than most available on the market now. I’d be surprised if this new controller isn’t inexpensive. Real smart business move.

• Like Like x 3
  11. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Have to say I'm looking at the Atom. Couple that with an S61 (MK1) and a Faderport and it should be a nice system. For about £130 delivered from Thomann it's almost a no-brainer. Will add nicely to my "things with flashing lights and pads" collection :D

12. tempsperdu

I see other companies moving into what might be regarded as Maschine territory. I don't see NI giving it's users what they have endlessly been asking if not begging for nor do I see them offering a well thought out alternative to those requests that shows they have thought things through better. They are chasing instead $ that may not happen whilst alienating their long term users who cannot believe just how long NI can take to not develop anything. It's a volatile market place and standing still is backsliding. Hubris is a mean bedfellow and they seem to be having a non stop affair with it.
    Give that CEO a big thumbs down.................................................

• Like Like x 9
  13. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I have to agree. While, in recent weeks, we've seen NI's has been focused on new controllers, Expansions, and Komplete 12, we just haven't seen much improvement in the Maschine software. Someone nees to tell NI that their controllers are only as good as the software that they run on.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

4 x 16 matrix. Means you can do 3/4 and 6/8 in sixteenth notes.
    (I already have FL, just ordered Fire from Sweetwater. Maybe I can even use Midi to step sequence in Maschine (if only as a VST in Ableton).

Watch out, NI - FL and Ableton are nibbling on your lunch.... :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Disagree. I own FL studio and it's a great DAW, but Studio One 4 is better all around DAW with the Atom being able to do much more than what FL Studio's new piece of hardware offers. In the end both are great tools.

16. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

This is dope. If I used FL it would be a must buy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tempsperdu

If they don't already know that then their heads must have been repaced with marshmallow which doesn't bode well.. Of course they know that. Do they care is perhaps a more pertinent question and if not why not.They really are beggaring belief

• Like Like x 5
  18. BuleriaChk

Tough love, NI.... :)

19. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

Better is all personal preference. My son owns FL Studio, that’s how I lucked up on his Live. Kids nowadays like software more than controllers. I also own Studio One, Along with Logic Pro and Ableton. Studio One is dope but I prefer Ableton. Does that mean I think Ableton is better? Of course not. It’s just more fun to use and took me just a few weeks to really get it down. I’ve watched my son go from Maschine, to the MPC Live, and now to FL Studio. I’ve never seen him so creative and having the fun that he now is. He just recently purchased one of the KK boards and now he wants to add the Fire to his setup and he’s done gear whoring he said. It’s all personal preference. I will say for as cheap cost wise for FL Studio, with the lifetime free upgrades, AKAI was smart to get in to some of that FL money. I honestly don’t see NI being able to keep up that much longer. How can they? This is a niche market, only a few are seeing any real profits. I was watching Deconstructed, the producer series Genius has on its YouTube channel. Showing all the “it” producers of the moment breaking down hit songs they produced. Only thing I see is the occasional MPC, even less Maschines, and a few Ableton Live users.. 90% of the videos shown are guys who use FL Studio only with a generic controller. Real smart move by AKAI to tap into that market.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  20. BuleriaChk

Even so, the Mk3 Mikro as a portable controlle would be really useful to me if:
    Implemented on touch screen:

1. Maschine had a performance mode with a 4 x 16 matrix for step sequencing, synced with the time signature (e.g., 3/4, 6/8, 5/4, 9/8, ....) .
    2. A 4 x 16 matrix for triggering patterns i.e., clips) or even 8 x 8 .. or even user configurable

3. An ability to provide a switch/toggle for accidentals in a given key for live scales (so one could access related diationic keys: e.g., C major, A Harmonic Minor.... A Melodic Minor.... etc..

The four-on-the-floor/pentatonic perspective is SO 1980 …. :)

(And of course, implement this as a VST in Ableton Live ….. and Fruity Loops... :)

Well, of course they could always provide a template for the Akai Fire....