Think i switch to Akai Fire and FL Studio

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Balog, Sep 27, 2018.

1. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

They do. Xyenz Fyxion, trusampler, myself, and a dozen other people come to these forums every day to tell them that their product development pace isn't what it should be, nor what has come to be expected from NI. They're starting to look very olde worlde.

• Like Like x 3
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Although this controller is not my cup of tea I think it's amazing that Akai is now making dedicated controllers for FL, they already had stuff for Ableton and of course their own MPC line up... This + making their own software fully MIDI open means AKAI has been listening to their userbase wishes now more than ever which I find promising. Real competition is finally starting to happen, I am happy about that.

Dedicated controllers for advanced and capable software are quickly becoming a trend, I think in a couple of years we will have much more to chose from and if Maschine doesn't find a way to get the software issues and their userbase wishes sorted quickly it will be left behind.

• Like Like x 7
  3. HammyHavoc

Here's a gentleman that gets it. :- ) Competition is always positive. I think where we are right now is NI resting on its laurels as there hadn't really been anything to touch it in its category up until recently. This only makes the lack of MCU on KKMK2 and lack of MIDI mode on Mikro MK3 even more baffling as the competition are focusing on openness and interoperability.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  4. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

I agree. It's not really earth shattering, but I do like competition, it's the only way these companies innovate.

Hopefully people buy loads of the controllers and Imageline will do what ableton did after the APCs came out and they'll make their own dedicated FL controller that does more than what Fire offers, in which case I'll actually be out of Maschine for good.

That or Maschine could just improve....

• Like Like x 1
  5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

To be honest I already think they have been left behind because what we are now seeing from others has been in development for some time and NI appear to have nothing in reserve for the near future. I'd love to be wrong on this but I can't help but think that Daniel Haver missed his true vocation when they didn't let him captain the Titanic

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. D-One

Yeah. I think some companies are starting to realize that openness is not something to be avoided but embraced as opposed to closed unique ecosystems... As well as implementing their own version of their competitor's software features as soon as possible.
    Unfortunately, it seems like Maschine is still to be trying to be the iPhone of the music creation industry instead of trying to be Android (I am an iPhone user BTW) until now they could get away with being so closed since there wasn't much competition but that's starting to change.

Knowing how smart and in touch with their userbase Image-Line has been over the years they will probably leave the Hardware creation for the other companies with experience while they stick with what their good at, making software. Trying to do everything at once and releasing half-baked things only leads to angry users.. cof, cof... ;)

• Like Like x 6
  7. District Onagi

In all fairness, NI released a whole slew of new products. It's just that they have not done anything to Maschine, which is a huge problem considering they always advertise it as being the braincenter of the Komplete lineup, and it's a big problem because we are all Maschine users.

I think Maschine may be the Titanic and NI are jumping on all the other liferafts they have with KK,KU, and Traktor.

• Like Like x 3
  8. District Onagi

True. In which case I hope the next foray into FL studio by Akai will be a little bit beefier. Until then I'll still hang around Maschine, there are still positives with Maschine, and I started using it live in church performances and it truly is an incredibly powerful tool. NI is frustrating as all hell, but Maschine is powerful.

• Like Like x 3
  9. HammyHavoc

I'd be disappointed if NI didn't keep pace or catch up on certain fronts. The hardware is really slick with a very nice UX. Just a pity about the integration and lack of openness. Open-sourcing even parts of the software is probably not on the cards, though Microsoft does it... If they opened it up with an SDK or APIs, I feel they would win a lot of ground.

This is the kind of thing I hope to see: http://cdm.link/2017/06/ableton-now-made-easy-developer-work-push-2/

Though if they did want to open up Maschine for pull requests on GitHub... I'd chip away at it...

• Like Like x 1
  10. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

It's not just that they haven't done anything with Maschine it's their myopic current focusing on a hopeful cash cow that may not be. The thing that impressed me about the Fire Controller is that it's in many ways like a cross fertilisation of what I take Jam to be and Maschine for a very low price.
    NI really could have had something similar for Maschine instead of a slew of cheap (ish) restricted controllers and everyone would be singing their praises. Any company that treats its customers with the disdain NI have and continue to do so really should go to the wall.

• Like Like x 2
  11. D-One

I guess so... Maschine seems to be the most outdated part of the system but it's not the only one.
    Massive used to be a Synth stable and it lost it's crown to Serum amongst others, maybe it can recover with Massive X, maybe it's too late...
    Traktor also lost it's crown as the king of DJing sw/hw, maybe it can recover with Traktor 3, but maybe it's too late...
    Komplete now has to kompete with Omnisphere (which has gained insane popularity and its still rising, although they are very different products)
    There's a trend here although Kontakt seems to be the exception that still wears the crown at what it does.

That would be amazing... Even if it was just an API so any dev could work on DAW integration. Doubt it will ever happen though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

The screens somewhat small
    Only 4 encoders, and they don’t look mappable (correct me if I’m wrong )
    Doesn’t look like it has an arrangement mode for the controller like jam , again I might be wrong,
    Velocity sensitive pads though a bit small and the price are pretty cool , if you use fruity loops it should be interesting,
    I tried it once at a friends,I suppose nearly 20 years ago(makes me feel old) , but I never got into it as it wasn’t available for the Mac , but I see it’s finally on OS X 84BBFB37-1F0D-4B24-ADB9-E29301D05560.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. HammyHavoc

Maschine Mikro MK3 has a screen that looks similar. This has more encoders than the Mikro MK3 too. I don't use FL myself and haven't since about 2003, but believe it's pretty good now depending on what it is that you're trying to do. This should be the wake up call for NI that they need to compete.

14. D-One

The 4 encoders are mappable, there are 2 User Modes for that.
    It has a Clip Launching Mode, not sure if that counts as an Arrangement mode, I'm not an FL user (yet)
    Pads are small but are designed to be more of a Step Sequencing box so it's understandable, it's 199$ so for another 100$ one would buy an MPD218 to have bigger 4x4 pads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. AL’DREAD

as they’re a similar price I suppose you could compare it to the mikro , but maybe jams a better comparison.

16. D-One

It's more comparable with Jam, but IMO more capable since the software is more advanced and... drumroll.... you can stack up to 4 units for more steps and channels... :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  17. HammyHavoc

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling that the Jam is not long for this world given the lack of refresh alongside the Mikro and budget KK line. That and the lack of real progress on the Jam's functionality. I would personally be shocked and amazed if Jam saw a MK2.

18. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

But not 4 x 16

19. District Onagi

Wow, solid points D-One. I guess it gives me a bit of comfort to see others on here not happy with Maschine and NI. Maybe they have DO have too much on their plate and are getting behind the ball too much.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AL’DREAD

It did get a price reduction a while back , and then there’s the performance mode , that was a selling point that’s yet to materialise .
    But I definitely think they should do a mk2 but with velocity sensitive pads and mk3 screens, maybe replace the faders with encoders.

• Like Like x 2