Think i switch to Akai Fire and FL Studio

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Balog, Sep 27, 2018.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Makes sense, thanks for the reply.
    Although I haven't used FL in literally 15 years I follow a lot of producers that use it and I agree it has the best Piano Roll / MIDI editing I have ever seen... Been trying the demo for a bit but although it's really good its hard to get used to. I am curious to know your workflow on Maschine+FL...

2. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

My take is the FL controller is useful for fast sketching a loop in real time (and possibly live performance), with mouse and keyboard for the detail necessary for the final production in the studio...

But also, I haven't used FL for a long time, and it has certainly come a long way since I last looked at it. So Fire controller will be a way of becoming acquainted with it again, which is why I purchased it. FL made its initial mark with its easy to use step sequencer, which is reflected in the controller, with other useful functions available, but in no way taps the full potential of the program..

3. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

I just bought one, never used FL before so a learning experience for me :)

4. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

Are you serious?

5. BuleriaChk

Well, I just got Fruity Loops Fire in, and have been playing around with FL for the past 3 hrs. Coming from Ableton Live and Maschine 2 it is quite different. I particularly miss the factory drum kits from Maschine 2, and the step sequencer really isn't as dfective for complex rhythms as I thought it might be, at least so far in this initial contact. I'll give it a chance over the next couple of days, but right now I think Maschine 2 Mikro is better for me (and, of course, Maschine Studio if I really need sampling and to interface with Ableton Live ….

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I started playing with the FLStudio demo on my Mac today and I'm starting to remember why I liked Fruity Loops so much so many years ago. It's definitely a fun program to use. It's weird for sure but very fun to use on top of being very powerful and doing a lot of cool things. One thing I liked was the sound. I did a quick demo song to get into it again. I also opened Bitwig and Studio One to see how close I could get to what I was doing in FLStudio and how different each one worked.

FLStudio was extremely easy to get a decent trap beat going. Using the same samples across all the application it also sounded the best out of the gate. Didn't need to tweak very much it just had that feel to it right out of the gate, the 808 sounded punchy and deep. I got very close in Bitwig, it sounded very similar, again with the same samples loaded into Bitwig's own instruments (Drum Machine and Sampler). Studio One sounded completely different. It was too clean, I couldn't get the same loudness or punchiness with it's built in instruments (Sample One XT and ImpactXT).

I can see why something like FLStudio which really has a good sound without a lot of tweaking involved is very appealing to people, especially trap or edm producers. I may buy a license at some point.

7. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

This might be because the default FL Studio template has a limiter/compressor on the master?

• Like Like x 2
  8. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I agree. Dylan Tallchief just did a video about the FL Studio limiter, and the fact that it is instantiated by default. He said he prefers Fabfilter's Pro L2 over FL's limiter.

9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

You can add most drum sounds from expansions to FL's browser but if you like having a bunch of drums already chosen for you I guess Maschine is better. The Step sequencer is not really built for super complex patterns however, it's interchangeable with the piano roll (which is super advanced), you can go back and forth between the two.

Even Reason now has Step Sequencer with cool features like: rolls/repeat, flam, reverse play, probability, play speed for independent sounds, you can map steps to notes for melodic/chord patterns, looks fun and I am not even a Step Sequencing fan.

Dylan is the man, very knowledgeable and has a great sense of humor.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

They are just trying to appeal using the Maschine concept and as a FL studio and Jam owner, I can tell the FL template for jam is great and bring all those features and even more.... Fire is a good nice and cheap controller, doing its purpose, mainly a sequencer doing a bit more but not that much... Though is is great news for low budgets... I would have love to have this with lifetime updates when I started. FL studio remain one of the best creative tool on the market but still have a very bad reputation with old time users...

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Yep I'm aware. That was the first thing I looked for when I noticed the signal wasn't clipping the outputs. Even with it off it still sounded great imo.

12. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I actually bought FL Studio Signature Edition back in June of this year around my birthday. They gave me a discount on it. I still haven't really sat down and made anything in it. I'll start it up every once in a while just to try to learn different things about it. There's been a lot of discussion on this forum recently about Maschine having a song mode. The one thing that I have to give FL Studio credit for is it's unbelievable flexibility when it comes to arrangement. I can easily see a lot of frustrated Maschine users really appreciating that aspect of FL.

13. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Do you feel like you move faster when making music with the Fire and FL vs Maschine in standalone or is it a step back workflow wise?

14. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

Atom would be my first choice over the Fire. You get full control of not just impact xt, but also the pattern editor. Transport controls, zoom in and out, tap tempo, note repeat, delete midi notes/events from the controller, browsing presets from your VST'S/drum kits from impact, full level. Nice thing is you do everything in one DAW from the production/mixing/mastering suite. Built in mastering makes it even more worth it.

15. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Maschine is definitely more versatile, but fire is a good sequencer with mixing capabilities. Makes the programming on fl more convenient... And knowing image line, there is more to come with the mapping I guess

16. BuleriaChk

I returned the Fire: at my stage in life, I just didn't want to learn Fruity Loops to the level it deserves (It looks like a stunning program), but Maschine and Live are more than I can handle.... (So for me, Fruity Loops goes on the closet shelf with Sonar.. but they are there if I need them.... )

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

How many days did you have the fire? Odd that you’d buy it when not really interested in learning software you already own. We’re just dealing with G.A.S.? Happens to a lot of us lol.

18. BuleriaChk

I'm 78 and don't have the time left to re-learn Fruity Loops, but I thought the Fire would help IF that's what I wanted to do. It just was not compelling enough (I feel the same way about the BeatStep Pro), even though I think Arturia's programs are great, and I do own Spark.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

78?? Kudos to you sir! I understand completely now! That’s incredible!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Balog

Balog NI Product Owner

The thing is i use FL and since the beginnging, i know it inside out. I dont have to think about any workaround or so. For me the fastest way making a whole track from start to finish, with mixdown and premaster is FL and a mouse. Fire totaly slowed my workflow down.