This long standing (and embarassing) midi out problem...

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by tonecre8, Apr 19, 2017.

1. tonecre8

tonecre8 NI Product Owner

Can anyone tell me if the bug where midi out stops working in Maschine on every version of Windows also happens on MacOS?

It's really disheartening that this hasn't been addressed and it would seem it won't ever be. Makes using the new midi controller stuff all but useless.

Tone

2. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Doesn't happen on MacOS. Have you seen the registry patch for Windows?

3. tonecre8

No I have not. Where can I find info?

4. tonecre8

Thanks lethal. I found the registry hack. Ridiculous that this is still not addressed.

Thanks again

5. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

WHERE did you find it? Please?

Terry

6. tonecre8

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :)

Terry

8. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

9. CakeAlexS

Wrong link meant this link.

Won't let me edit my last post for some reason.

10. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

It's not some global Windows hack, only affects Maschine. These are the contents of the reg file:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments\Maschine 2]
    "DisableTS"=dword:00000001
    If you're familiar with Windows registry, you will know that every piece of software has its own subsection, which is only used by that particular software. It can never affect anything else.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. CakeAlexS

You are right and I am wrong of course as it's under the Maschine hive. Why isn't this the default though upon installation?

12. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

My guess is that it's not the default because it disables MIDI timestamps, which can result in MIDI timing issues (of individual MIDI events) and could be even worse than not being able to use multiple MIDI output ports.

It seems that a decision was made about which was the lesser of two evils, as well as a decision not to work on fixing or compensating for the issue(s).

The best workaround to me is to use a MIDI "hub" software (e.g., Bome MIDI Translator, MIDI-OX, Soundigy MIDI Patchbay) and send all MIDI from Maschine out from one port to that application. The only downsides with this are that Maschine then only has 16 MIDI output channels and you have another application running.
    Alternatively, you could use something like ctrlr as a MIDI bus inside Maschine and get it to relay the MIDI from Maschine to your preferred ports.

• Informative Informative x 1