Thoughts on the 2.6.8 update?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Aug 21, 2017.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I agree. That happens all the time with many music genres.
    Dubstep, for example, was also very different before the EDM world embraced it and overused it, many of those producers actually migrated to the Trap-EDM thing.

2. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...well, this time it is probably you, who should have noticed by now, that I don't see the point in getting hot-headed or personal, so you can be sure, that I'll always skip the drama. :) ;) However, I do have an opinion on some things and I hope, if I state them, it's always well-founded and done in a polite manner.

You're right - in the end it is all about, what works best for someone and that yields results And I hope, I could have shown, that it might with something most of us already have. I tried to describe, how one could use the Bassynth for these purposes and also provided this Massive patch - maybe I thought, some opinions, on what the Bassynth doesn't seem to be, might have been a bit dramatic and I was trying to offer some advice in order to provide something positive. That could be misinterpreted as condescending or boasting, but there is only so much you can do... :rolleyes::)

However, if someone might find the description and the patch useful and encouraging to try out things, to develop something new, to improve what I provided - instead of buying the next dozen 808 packs or complaining about the non-existence of a Trap kick bass synth - so much the better.

Then the work is done and I don't need to care about the blame!

https://media.giphy.com/media/CfNExlvK8tCX6/giphy.gif

...too dramatic? :D:D:D

But seriously - this is something, that I'd also like to see and that's why I always try to provide solutions - just like you. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Paulocks

Paulocks NI Product Owner

Sorry but the same tools are used or can be used in every genre mentioned. You don't need extra sample packs aimed specifically at trap or hip hop or edm or techno. Its really down to how you process the raw elements involved in all these genre. Drum synths provided can make 808 style kicks for all mentioned. The tools are already there. Expand you knowledge and ability not your sample library.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. LEGENDARYFINS

LEGENDARYFINS NI Product Owner

Sorry, You lost me at Lil Uzi Vert

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Esco Luciano

Esco Luciano New Member

I really hope 3.0 solves all our problems, since the first few 2.x updates; haven't been impressed since. Don't lose us maschine, we're rooting for you but you seem to not be listening

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. FastGraph

FastGraph NI Product Owner

A BASS SYNTH????? SMH....

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Seems to be mixed feelings about the bass synth here.
    What about the new keyboard layout for jam?

8. rulgert ghostalker

rulgert ghostalker NI Product Owner

i just saw the picture of the bass synth.....oh fer crips, yaknow?....

you might as well play a bass line with a kick drum synth.....Decay...like what? is that it for the envelope?. ( and that basically also tells me there is no filter envelope )

youz that compared that thing to a TB-303 where being very faltering.....i mean i haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but from what i am seeing there, i am not exited.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. v00d00ppl

v00d00ppl NI Product Owner

A free synth is a free synth. The way I see it is you can always make a game out of the samples and synths you don't use. Try to see what you can modify pre mix of the sound and /or post mix.

I have a yocto 808 in the other room but when I get lazy I use the 808 sounds In battery 4, maschine stock, arturia spark, f9 trax LA. This all happens in a maschine session and I'm practicing my drumming / sequencing. If I get adventurous then I use te maschine drum synths too. The trick is to familiarize yourself with what you have and see if something new will help you reframe how to work with what you have.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Have you ever had the chance to compare the Yocto to the Miami? I love the decay on the Miami, its looooooong

• Like Like x 1
  11. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Why cant i download this sh*&&
    From native access

12. v00d00ppl

No I wish I did. You can also probably select an 808 drum output into a transient master audio track and gradually raise the sustain. Kind of close. But that Detroit coming out should also have that functionality from what I hear.

13. v00d00ppl

Try again. Login. Download the update 2.6.8. And once you start up maschine go to groups and internal > bass synth.

If you want to build an acid techno rig you can do group A as the 303 bass synth. Group B 808 kit. Group C 909 kit. It reminds me of the rebirth days.

14. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

This is type of thinking is pretty much why it happens people think of genres in a generic way instead of really understanding them so they never really get it.
    I have always said that new genres come from people trying to duplicate a given type of music and they get it wrong.
    They then find a new name for it or say the classic "I'm trying to be different" to cover that fact.
    Pretty much means the end result will have some similarities but at the same time be missing some key elements that define that genre.

Music has always been tied to culture so if you don't understand the culture you don't fully understand the music.
    Now that things are so heavily marketed with buzz words we can get pretty far off the mark.

Sound packs have to be marketed from some marketable angle to draw interest so using the "they are good for a certain type of music" angle will rarely be accurate.

At the end of the day we still have to remember that the added features, sound generators or new sound packs aren't for everyone but tht doesn't mean someone isn't happy they were added.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Who was your reply for?

16. luneytunes

luneytunes NI Product Owner

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Jam should arguably have had the isomorphic layout from the get-go, but at least it's there now.

The bass synth is completely unnecessary and, to my knowledge, unsolicited (from the general userbase), but it's pretty good for what it is: a relatively basic bread 'n' butter bass synth.

What more is there to say that hasn't been said a million times?

• Like Like x 1
  18. D-J-K

D-J-K NI Product Owner

Picture this analogy. You buy an expensive sports car that, unknowingly, has non-functional headlights, turn signals, door locks, and stereo system Unfortunately you cannot purchase those parts separately and the manufacturer refuses to add those features. The manufacturer does, however, agree to paint the car any color of your choice and add a turbo charger at no cost to you. So while the engine works, the car looks great and drives fast, its still missing essential features that come standard on other sports cars. So the car ends up sitting in your garage looking pretty most of the time, except when you spin around the block every once and a while to show it off trying to convince yourself it was not a waste of money.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. District Onagi

District Onagi NI Product Owner

Nope, your not misunderstood, I had too many caipirinhas when I wrote that. :D oops! I was referring more to an 808 type sub, which it seems like the bass synth can replicate, which is cool. Haven't installed the new update because I like to wait awhIle in case of bugs.

Good to see you guys read these posts though, wish you guys would address some other things instead of my stupid mistakes.

Edit: I saw your comments in another thread and I appreciate what you said about maintaining privacy, tough as it is to wait.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

Keir and me are definitely keeping an eye out here on what is requested by the long time users, and passing this on to the people involved. But we don't direct them where to take the development, even the developers don't have the final say in this.

But audio features are now being beta tested and are coming (long overdue, I know ;) ).
    I don't know if you are interested in it, but there was a call out for more people to join the Beta Program: https://www.facebook.com/nimaschine/posts/10155737682569797

• Like Like x 4