1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Time for a new mixer... Pioneer or Allen & Heath.

Discussion in 'General DJ Forum' started by jimmyv, Nov 8, 2011.

1. jimmyv

jimmyv NI Product Owner

My Mixer is starting to crap out on me and I would like to replace it. I am either looking at the pioneer DJM 5000 or the Allen & Heath Xone S2. Anyone use either of these mixers? Anyone better than the other? I know they both have a ton of inputs but all I really use is a dual CD player and my S4. But I need a HIGH QUALITY mixer.

2. zacharia360bpm

zacharia360bpm Forum Member

Sounds like all you need is a three channel mixer.
    Those two mixers are way overkill for your needs.
    No need for a built in sound card. Your S4 is your sound card.
    If you want a high quality mixer to suit your needs I would suggest looking at the Rane Empath.

3. jimmyv

jimmyv NI Product Owner

I know they are overkill. I occasionally add a 2nd dual CD player. I need it rack mounted as I am a mobile DJ. And I need multiple Mic inputs... at least 2 the nice thing about Pioneer is it has 3. I like Rane but I feel as if they are not loud enough (pre-amp) I KNow about the whole soundcard thing as well. I am ok with havibg extra features... I used to use a MOTU 828 sound card with my VCI 100 till I got my S4... So I know about over kill. I just need the highest quality possible.

4. stroumf77

stroumf77 NI Product Owner

I would choose Allen & Heath Xone S2.
    Allen & heath has better sound (for my ears).

5. zacharia360bpm

zacharia360bpm Forum Member

I think your wrong about the pre amp on Rane mixers.
    They are extremely loud and top quality.
    Between the A/H and the Pio I would definitely go with the A/H.

6. crucial d

crucial d NI Product Owner

∆ agree the Rane mixers are sonically among the best out there, certainly better than A & H, and infinitely better than Pioneer.

Check out the Ecler Mixers, they have fantastic build quality and sound brilliant as well, also they are not quite as expensive as the Ranes.