1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Timeline suggestions.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by zerocrossing, Sep 13, 2017.

1. zerocrossing

zerocrossing NI Product Owner

Here's my requests for V3 software. They are simple and should have been in v1. Let me drag a pattern from the pattern list into a future part of the timeline. Also, let me resize all patterns by dragging their ends. Maschine is great for putting together patterns, but once you've got all the patterns you want, building them into something is really clumsy, especially if you want to do it all in real time without stopping the sequencer. Push/Live is MUCH better at this. I can build up a lot of clips, drag them into the arranger view while the clip(s) play, and when I have an arrangement made, I click over to make it the playback mode, and I now have an instant song structure without having paused at all.

I can't believe I'm still asking for this after all these years. Isn't it obvious? Who wants dead air when you go to add to the timeline? Yes, I can I can duplicate the scene and then change it, but man, I'm not sure why anyone thinks this is an acceptable way to work.

2. zerocrossing

I made what seems to be a good suggestion, and did a search to see if it was in this forum and I couldn't find it had already been suggested, yet it is gone. Hoping to be able to drag a pattern to the timeline doesn't seem out of the ordinary and I imagine it would be really useful to a lot of people.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It wasn't deleted, yet... What you are asking is already in the sticky. I was trying to evaluate if there were specifics about your suggestion that made it special somehow, but I don't think so.

So.. you are suggesting is included in this:
    Correct?

4. zerocrossing

Somewhat, but my bigger point was to make it so that in the GUI, one could easily create a new scene, populated with a pattern, by dragging the pattern (either from the name header or the pattern list) to a new place on the timeline, without disrupting what the sequencer was currently doing. Does that make sense? Meaning, one could build as many patterns as they needed, and then while one of those patterns was looping, start populating the timeline with all those patterns. When the composition was finished, you'd just adjust the loop area to include the entire composition and you're golden. This way is an easy way to compose entire tracks on the fly with no disruption.

Thanks,

Mark

5. D-One

Putting it simple that sounds like "creating a new scenes without making them active" but specifically thru mouse click/drag...

The chances of mouse exclusive features being added is slim, a huge number of user would complain... Not sure how this could be implemented in the hardware since it is designed to follow what ever scene your editing.

Why do you need a específic pattern playing while building other scenes? Is this for live performance?

It seems very odd to make a full arrangement that you don't hear because your locked in a especific pattern/scene and then only listening to it in the end...

6. zerocrossing

I'm not sure why anyone would complain, as once the functionality is added it would be more or less invisible to someone using the controller. The only visual change would be to add some sort of visual indicator on the header of a pattern (and pattern list), next to the name that the element could be dragged. Just the usual little kind of "grip" graphic. It wouldn't change or remove any current functionality. It would just extend Maschine as a stronger composition tool instead of what it is now, a pattern focused sequencer.

Yeah, for live performance. I'm building the song as I go. So, I'll maybe start with an audio loop that's very ambient. I'll often use an automation clip in Live to vary the amount and parameters of an effect on that loop, so while the content is static, it's slowly evolving into something else. Might go back to dry, might not. Then I'll create a new pattern in Maschine. While that's going, maybe set up a new audio loop, or add something to what I have going. Rinse, repeat. It doesn't really have to be for live performance though. I could see it being used a lot for people trying to quickly comp together a track and to later go back and do deeper edits very quickly.

I do admit that I'm asking for a step away from the idea that Maschine and it's software are one unified tool, but I think this could be a good thing, as some tasks are just better suited for a computer UI, yet still fall under the task of MIDI/Sample sequencing. I'm asking for it to be a little more DAW like, but it seems to be going in that direction anyway. I think it would help convince people to buy Maschine instead of a Push.

The odd part is the fun part. Since I've created all the patterns in an order, I kind of already know them and have a very good idea of what to expect. I'm not talking about ultra complicated structure. The structure is usually fairly basic, loosely based on pop music. The idea is, that once the patterns have been created and put into a repeating set of scenes, I can then focus on controlling what audio loops are playing (as well as adding to them and adding new ones) and performing melodies over all of it. It's a really great and fun way of creating music that's kind of Shpongle like. Again, I think this functionality doesn't really have to be done on the fly like I'd use it. It would be a great and easy way of putting full tracks together inside of Maschine, rather than having to abandon it mid project because one's DAW is just easier and more intuitive to work in. I think that happens to a lot of people.

7. D-One

Maybe with a "Lock to current Scene" could allow such a behavior, it would force Maschine to stay in the current scene no matter what/where the user is.

Thanks for clarifying your suggestion, I understand what you're asking now.