TIP: Setlists for KORE Performances

Discussion in 'KORE' started by moss, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moss

moss NI Product Owner

Are you using KORE in a live situation? Do you also think that KORE Performance patches are not enough? Are you missing a Setlist manager in KORE and the ability to change Performances? Here's the solution for you: I wrote a little (Windows) tool which allows you to acomplish this.

This software allows you to create any number of setlists for Native Instruments KORE 2. A setlist consists of a number of KORE Performances in your preferred order. You can switch (load) to the next or previous performance or directly select a performance.

Get it from:
    http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/SetlistManager/SetlistManager.html

Have fun with it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  2. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Thanks for this; I'm sure some will find it useful =)

ew

3. moss

moss NI Product Owner

Thanks for making it sticky.

4. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

Hey, I'd tried the same, but I didn't digged really deep into it. I tried to do Drag and Drop via PostMessage, but I didn't succeed. I'm using two stand-alone instances of Kore 2, so it would be really nice of you, if you could send me a PM how the program works, so that I can adept my prog. Thanks in advance ;). Ok, just reading the source code.
    The idea is btw to switch between Kore instances to make precaching possible.

I think "CallupPerformance" is the procedure/void which is responsible for changing the performance inside of Kore 2?

BurtaN

5. moss

moss NI Product Owner

The idea is quite simple: I open up the File Open dialog by sending a CTRL+O to KORE, then the absolute filename is pasted into the dialog and the OK button is triggered.

I was also thinking about using two KORE instances, I think the main problem is to differentiate between the two windows. I am also not sure about latency issues when you run two KORE instances at the same time (and one loading in the background). Maybe also depending on your ASIO drivers. Would be interested in your findings.

6. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

Great idea! I have just played with two instances and it worked great. I just split them between my 2 cores (T8300, E6750) and didn't have any latency problems. Even streaming didn't seem to be a problem with a fast hard disc. So we have to find a way to differentiate between those 2 windows :D. I have used Delphi and I think one could use the window ID, but I'm not sure yet. I will do some research with Wininspector (analyses the windows which are visible or unvisible and gives information.

7. BurtaN

BurtaN NI Product Owner

I don't know how flexible Autohotkey is, but the way via window ID must be possible. I think I can program this in Delphi, but unfortunately I don't have much time at the moment because of my Abitur. But if I succeed I will let you know ;).

8. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATE 1.01

I noticed two horrible bugs which are now fixed:

- Key commands were not working
    - It did only work with the German KORE version

9. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V2.00

New features:
    - Added a really nice full screen mode

Bugfixes:
    - Error if "Move Down" was chosen and no Performance was selected
    - If no Performance was selected "Next Performance" did load the second not the first performance in the list

Attached Files:

10. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V3.00

New features:
    - Performances can now be changed via Midi CC!

Bugfixes:
    - About Dialog did not close
    - Added a timeout waiting for the Open Dialog

11. musicologist

musicologist NI Product Owner

Hi ew,

I would like to discuss the functionality of the ‘Setlists’ tool from moss in relation to the functionality that KORE provides. It does appear that the ‘Setlists’ tool (simple tool but extremely complementary) fulfils certain functionality currently not provided by KORE.

I’m currently investigating how KORE (together with KOMPLETE) could serve me for life performance and basically replace my 19” rig of synth’s.

While evaluating the software I’ve received some interesting feedback from others users on how to use KORE in a live situation (see also http://www.native-instruments.com/forum_us/showthread.php?t=65336). Although KORE has extremely powerful functionality, it did seem that building-up, adding and maintaining life performance presets could not be done in a efficient manner.
    The two main issues found where that:

KORE will not protect (preserve) presets. When new channels are added all existing presets must be must be updated in order to ignore the added channel.
    Each new sound (e.g. sounds that are required for new songs) would require additional channels that take system memory.

The only working method (or workaround depending on how to look at it) would be to use a performance for each song and to use e.g. the ‘Setlists’ tool to switch in between songs.

I find it difficult to believe that the KORE design concept does not include the support for basic live usages as described in the thread mentioned above. KORE however does provide very powerful functionality and would probably be the ideal environment for sound selection en patch development.

Can you please provide your view on this complementary functionality (or functionality gap if I put it different :) ) Some specific questions are:

- It looks like that the conceptual design of KORE does not support the specific requirement discussed above (an in the mentioned tread). Would you see this as a gap or was KORE not meant to be used in such an environment?

- Are we overlooking things? Would you see alternative approaches that could support the specific requirement? I would appreciate if you could provide some advice?

- Do you expect any enhancements in the software that would make it better serving the specific situation?

I hope you can provide some good feedback as I do see many advantages of KORE and would really like to make it my dedicated (and only) sound source for live usage.

Many Thanks,
    Patrick

12. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

I'm probably the wrong person to ask, to be honest.

With the live stuff I do, the one performance per song isn't a handicap. I do experimental/improv, so load times don't really matter in my case.

Also, I'm not a NI employee- I'm a user just as you are.

ew

13. brunod

brunod NI Product Owner

Interesting stuff

Here's another idea, though it's going in a different way.

There's a software out there specifically build for that called "Brainspawn Forte". It's a tiny VST host which is built specifically for the task of live performances. It handles all the plugins & presets switching needed between song parts.

Basically you build "scenes" which are usually a part of a song (say intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc) and then load these scenes as part of a song. Finally you can define set lists, and it has a full screen mode where you can switch between scenes and songs via keyboard or midi.

Having two Kore instances shouldn't be a problem either, as you can just add two instances in Forte, and mute one or the other on a scene to scene basis. I've been using it with heavy plugins (ex Addictive Drums) and it's performing quite nicely, though I haven't had a chance to try it in real live situations, will have more on that later ;-)

14. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V3.10

New features:
    - Return key loads the selected Performance.
    - If the "Do you want to save?" dialog appears during loading the next Performance it is automatically closed after 2 seconds.

15. rekliner

rekliner NI Product Owner

mac users onstage

This Setlist manager and Brainspawn are nice but unfortunately they are both Windows only! Does anybody know of Mac solutions?

I currently use Plogue Bidule as VST host and I twist knobs between every song manually. I'm experimenting with Kore to try and have song presets, but loading piano samples before a song is unacceptable. I don't mind having all the instruments running all the time but only having 8 snapshots to a performance and not being able to name them is too limiting. My only other idea is to use the automation in an Ableton Live performance and assign keyboard keys. I guess I could use a VST plugin that sends sets of MIDI commands (anybody know of one?).

Before anybody starts a PC/Mac war here's my logic...I play in a very successful band, no room for equipment failures. I used a PC onstage for years (since 2000...before it was cool :) and when I switched to Mac I didn't see any real performance increase but two things will make me stay mac: 6 pin firewire so I don't need to plug in my soundcard, and the USB controllers will reconnect if unplugged without restarting the VST host. But really it's the 6 pin firewire...otherwise I have to use a UPS just for my soundcard. USB soundcards have not seemed as stable or as low latency in my experience.

16. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V4.00

New features:
    - You can now display an image (e.g. which shows lyrics or notes) in the full screen mode. The image is displayed in the left upper corner. The image must be located in the same directory as the Performance file and must have the ending "png". E.g. if you have a Performance file "MySong.kpe" you can place an image "MySong.png" in the same directory. You do not have to provide images for each Performance.

Bugfixes:
    - Renumbering of rows was not correct if a Performance was removed (last row had number "0").
    - Correct sizing of GUI elements

Attached Files:

17. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V4.01

Bugfix:
    - The hint image in the full screen mode was not sized correctly if it had a different size than the previous image.

18. moss

moss NI Product Owner

UPDATED to V5.00

New features:
    - You can now set a the length of the song for each Performance. By adding the new Divider row(s) you can sum up the length of the setlist. E.g. you can add a Divider row after the normal set and another one after the encore.
    - The Performance Switch Midi Channel can now also be set to "All".
    - Absolute filename is now also displayed as a tooltip.
    - The width of the columns are now restored (you can also set them to a width of 0 if you do not want to see a column).
    - Added keyboard shortcut for "Save As"

Bugfixes:
    - Removed (useless) sorting by clicking on the headers.
    - If the Options dialog was confirmed the main windows was not activated.

19. ianni

ianni NI Product Owner

The ability to display text (lyrics, chords, cues, reminders, etc.) is exactly what I needed! I actually have been using the cheap sequencers PowerTracks because it allowed me to display scrolling lyrics with my MIDI sequences. These are backing tracks for my solo and band gigs.

20. John Keel

John Keel New Member

Holly Great mother of god!
    This app is amazing, such a simple thing yet so powerfull.

I was about to quit Kore for live acts since i can´t just be seen messing around in a computer with a mouse, and i don´t even have time in most of the songs, i play in a Prog Metal band and loosing time doing the loads with a mouse would just be lame.

Now that i found this little app i just had to use a BCR2000 which has two footswitch inputs, changed it to send the currect midi CC so i can change setlist up and down and now during live acts i have full control of KORE mouse and keyboard free.

Foot controls song (setlist) knobs in the BCR2000 controls the User Knobs just like a KONTROLER would, and i still have my keyboard program change buttons to change presets. (also footswitches asigned for this).

No one even notices i use a computer, it´s mounted in a 19" Rack case, no keyboard and mouse at sight, tuned version of vista (Ubber Light) With Kore loading at startup and setlist manager loading after (Easy to do with a good startupmanager).

MAN IM SO HAPPY, i´m just going to buy more Kore Soundpacks and maybe a KONTROLLER just kus it looks kool.

THANKS!

oh by the way? Why isn´t this a feature already available with KORE? What are you waiting for to include it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.